Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

How do you get the TV off the cabinet?

I see lots of threads regarding change-out of the front TV. I would like to do some work behind the TV and also change it out, etc. The space between the windshield and the back of the cabinet is too tight for me to put my head up there to look for a release. I have had no luck pushing and pulling on the TV from the front. So, short of a crowbar to separate the TV from the cabinet, I am stuck.

Can one of you guys who have taken the TV down tell me where the magic button is located?

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
DJJ

On my 2003 DS there were 2 button caps on the bottom of the tv cabinet that covered screws, the caps just pry off. The screws held the bottom of the wood face trim. 2 more screws held the top of the face trim, they were located in the cabinets on each side of the tv. Once the front trim was off it was easy to see how to remove the tv.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #3

I also have an 07 Dutch Star. It has been a couple of years since I replaced mine, but hopefully I can remember the main points. And sorry, I don’t have any pictures. Mine had the Sony Bravia "flat screen" TV. Well, "flat" for its day. It was a bit of a stretch and squeeze but I could get my head and arm in between the cabinet and the windshield. Had to stand/stoop on the dash and make sure the blind is all the way up. (Or did I remove it? I don’t think so.).

Anyway, the flat screen was attached to a metal cross brace from behind with 4 screws just like the standard TV mounts for flat screens today. Remove these 4 screws and the TV is loose.

You don’t have too, but I removed the floor (bottom) of the TV cabinet to give me better access into the cabinet. I think I needed to do it anyway to change out the TV brace. The original brace may not fit the new TV. The floor of the TV cabinet was screwed to the cabinet from inside the cabinet. There are cleats around the inside bottom of the cabinet. Screws go through these cleats and into the floor of the cabinet. I had to reach into the back of the cabinet and find the screws and remove them.

If you are going to remove the cabinet floor I have a couple of words of advice. First: You want a small cordless screwdriver like the Bosch Cordless. You do not want to try this with a plain old hand power screwdriver. There are too many (14 or so) long screws. The small size, light weight, and power of the cordless screwdrivers are worth the expense even if you purchase it just for this task. Second, the RV industry uses square drive screws to hold cabinets together. Even though a Phillips head screwdriver will work, send a few bucks and get the square head bits. They make life so much easier. They will actually hold the screw in the bit when pointed down!

Anyway once you get all the screws out of the floor you will have to force it down. It is a tight fit. Then you can start disconnecting the power, antenna, TV remote sensor, and video system cables. (BTW, this is a great time to upgrade the ‘front’ system to blue ray and HDMI.) I had to loosen the screws holding the TV in to get all the connections loose.

Once all of the connections have been disconnected, then you can remove the TV.

Warning: The old Sony Flat Screen is heavy for its flat size. You will want a helper when you remove the last screws. It is not a one man job.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Redman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Thanks Redman

The motorhome had been upgraded by the previous owner with an hdmi splitter in the cabinet over the driver's seat. I am upgrading the tv with blu-ray and adding some speakers for the fm/sirius radio.

I was hoping you were going to tell me there was a lever or latch to release the tv from the mount. I'm not at all cheerful about trying to attack it from the back. But, if that's the only way... Aargh! my back hurts just thinking about it.

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote