Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
How do you tighten the sideview mirrors

I just noticed that both of my side view mirrors on my SX are loose where they attach to the body. Is there a way to tighten them?
Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi srh,
Not sure what the "SX" designation is. What year and model of coach do you have.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi srh,
Not sure what the "SX" designation is. What year and model of coach do you have.
Sorry about that - it is 05 Essex 4502.
Thanks,
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Yes you can. You will have to take the mirror and arm off then the cover to the mount comes off to get to the bolts. I had my son hold the mirror while I tighten the mount because of the wires for power.
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Yes you can. You will have to take the mirror and arm off then the cover to the mount comes off to get to the bolts. I had my son hold the mirror while I tighten the mount because of the wires for power.
Thanks for your reply! It is the arm that attaches to the body that is loose. Is that what you understood to be?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #6

We found on our 04 Essex the mirrors came lose were they attach to the body. There are 4 screws that have covers that pop off and then using large screw driver tighten them. The last time I did it I put strong glue on each one I put back on the mirror.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Thanks for your reply! It is the arm that attaches to the body that is loose. Is that what you understood to be?
There are three main pieces to the mirror. The mount to the body, the arm and the mirror.

If the arm is loose you have to pop off a little chrome cap on the bottom of the arm mount to the body then tighten the nut! It is either 1/2 or 9/16 if my memory is correct.

Make sure this is the problem. I really can't see the arm coming loose once it is tighten. They are real hard to get out, that I can tell you for sure. I had to us a rubber mallet and smack the heck out of it to get it loose so I could remove the chrome cover over the mount to tighten the mount bolts.

I would try to move the mirror mount by hand to make sure it isn't loose too.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!

Quote:
There are three main pieces to the mirror. The mount to the body, the arm and the mirror.

If the arm is loose you have to pop off a little chrome cap on the bottom of the arm mount to the body then tighten the nut! It is either 1/2 or 9/16 if my memory is correct.

Make sure this is the problem. I really can't see the arm coming loose once it is tighten. They are real hard to get out, that I can tell you for sure. I had to us a rubber mallet and smack the heck out of it to get it loose so I could remove the chrome cover over the mount to tighten the mount bolts.

I would try to move the mirror mount by hand to make sure it isn't loose too.

Good Luck!
I appreciate the input! I looked at the cap under the arm - I can see that it may be hard to get out. The arm is what is loose and what you said makes sense. I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

The cap will pop right off with a little screw driver. The nut the holds the arm on is under that. Good Luck
Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank You!

Quote:
The cap will pop right off with a little screw driver. The nut the holds the arm on is under that. Good Luck
Yes, I was able to take both of them off. You are right about the arm being so tight after you take the 9/16" nut off. What helped was that I dropped a few drops of DW40 and let it sit overnight. The next day when I popped it with the help of rubber mallet it came off easily. The four Phillips head screws that are holding the arm to the body were loose. Tightening those did the job. Also, another helpful hint would be to mark the arm so you can put it back in the same orientation. Because of its weight and the electrical wires that go through the arm the job would be easier with the help of a second person holding assembly while you work around the chrome cover to reach the screws. I would like to thank you and all those who offered helpful suggestions.
Regards to all!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #11

No problem, glad to help out. I have been helped out many times too!