Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King View Post
I drive with my hand over the exhaust brake switch majority of the time and engage it to slow down when needed.

On the interstate, it is off the most of time for coasting unless I'm driving in the city or in traffic.
OR, just take it to a shop that has the Cummins Insite and Allison programs and have them adjust the parameters to meet your needs and how you want to to work and perform. They come set up with "Factory Defaults" and it is up to the owner to adjust the defaults to their driving needs and how he wants the engine and transmission to perform.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Does your engine brake engage the fan clutch? Mine does and I'm thinking of having this function disabled. Seems like too much wear and tear on the clutch for the little gain in braking. It supposedly can be disabled by Cummins.
Does the fan clutch engaging aid in braking? How would I know if it engages? I love my engine brake, leave it on all the time and modulate it with the throttle in traffic.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Discussions of use of braking systems.

Different braking systems.

More info mountain driving and use of brakes.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #32

I have a Jake brake and leave it on low most of the time. Going down big hills, I switch from high to low to off to control speed and try to avoid using my service brakes. I recently discovered that my brake lights go on when using the engine brake in high mode.
natgild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a good explanation of the features of the fan clutch and the default settings. You can change the web address from ISL > ISM > ISX, but they appear to all be the same. It looks like they all come from Cummins with the default setting at ENABLED with engine braking.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine