Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I leave the grey water drain open and then dump with my remote switches in the coach when the black tank gets full. You would have to leave the SaniCon running dry for awhile to ruin it.
Don, how do you know when the tank is empty to shut off the sanicon pump? Can you hear it change pitch from inside or do you use some other method?

I am thinking of adding the remote dump switches so I can drain from inside the coach.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I can hear it change pitch and I'm half deaf. My switches are in the half bath, so I turn the overhead light on and leave the door open so I don't forget it's draining, while I'm doing other things.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I'm surprised that with a unit at this price point, Thetford doesn't add a liquid flow switch that would turn the unit off when it runs out of water to flush, especially if it has the potential to ruin the pump.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #19

If I was to measure anything I would measure the amps. No or low amps no pumping shut pump off.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hook it up to the site sewer pipe and leave only the gray water open so the gray tank stays empty.

When it's getting close to emptying the black tank, I close the gray valve until the gray gets a good amount of water in it (about 20% +/-). Once that happens, I use the Sani-Con to pump out the black water tank and once that's empty, I shut the Sani-Con off, close the black tank valve, open the gray and turn the Sani-Con back on again. This uses the gray water to 'rinse' the inside of the hose and the pump with soapy gray water.

When the gray is empty, I leave the gray open, throw a couple Walex Porta packs in the toilets (I find those work great!), flush the toilets until the black tank is at 2 or 3 % and then just repeat the process again when needed.

This is only while we're staying at a campground all hooked up.

On our departure, I do basically all the same process, but then I'll give the black tank a good flush/rinse and of course close both valves when done...and away we go.

This seems to work for us anyway...

(In my experiences with the Sani-Con...when the tank is getting empty, I can clearly hear the 'pitch' change in the pump noise and the small hose will 'recoil' a little bit when there's no flow through it. I lift the large slinky a couple times a little bit between the drain outlet and the pump box which gets the last of it out. Then I immediately shut the pump. I always stay there while it's running. I don't involve myself in other things while doing this, so I don't get distracted and forget the pump is on.)
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Dave, no worry about the paks and the macerator toilet? I gave all mine away because I was told the plastic wouldn't have time to dissolve and would end up spinning around and get tangled in the macerator pump of the toilet.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Dave, no worry about the paks and the macerator toilet? I gave all mine away because I was told the plastic wouldn't have time to dissolve and would end up spinning around and get tangled in the macerator pump of the toilet.
Good point and yes it was a worry for me. Most of the time, I just fill the bowl, drop them in and they dissolve and turn the water deep blue. Then I will flush them down. They dissolve pretty quickly. I used to cut them open and dump them in, but that gets old and sure can be messy.

I have found that those work the best and you don't get that ol' horribly strong formaldehyde smell the old liquids used to give off. I always hated that smell. These things, IMO, work great and actually eliminate the odor rather than mask it in a strong chemical smell. So far anyway...
Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"NH Dave".....Try Happy Camper. It's a GREAT product and you just add a scoop of dry powder to the bowl and you're done. We've been RVing for over 45 years and it's the best working and smelling chemical I've ever used.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
In the Monaco Owners Forum, a member posted a pic of one of those sacs, wrapped around the chopping blades. He found it while going in to replace impeller.
I also use Happy Camper.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"NH Dave".....Try Happy Camper. It's a GREAT product and you just add a scoop of dry powder to the bowl and you're done. We've been RVing for over 45 years and it's the best working and smelling chemical I've ever used.
Thank you for the tip, I will look into that stuff. If it works as good or better without the plastic or any formaldehyde, I'm in!

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I use the Campa Chem by thetford. Love the smell.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looked at that Happy Camper stuff online...seems like a great product and exactly what we'd want to use. We're camping up in Maine now, I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and give it a try!

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dave View Post
Looked at that Happy Camper stuff online...seems like a great product and exactly what we'd want to use. We're camping up in Maine now, I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and give it a try!

Thanks again!
At the SKP rally in Bangor?