RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

How does Ventana 4369 handle in rain?

I know I shouldn't have the engine brake on, but anything else I should be aware of?

This will be my first time driving in the rain. How do these big class A's drive in the rain?

I'll be driving through the winding roads of northern Arkansas, from Branson through Mountain Home and then on south from there.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I know I shouldn't have the engine brake on, but anything else I should be aware of?

This will be my first time driving in the rain. How do these big class A's drive in the rain?

I'll be driving through the winding roads of northern Arkansas, from Branson through Mountain Home and then on south from there.
The only issue you might have is during a very heavy down pour, the windshield wipers don't keep up very well. They do fine in moderate rain, but a few of the rainstorms I have been in required me to pull off at the first safe location and wait, due to visibility issues.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Slow down, keep your distance, be aware of what's going on ahead of and around you and brake gently (and, as you noted, turn off the engine/exhaust brake). You'll be fine. Sensibly driven, the bigger coaches are probably safer than small ones, or cars.

TJ
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

How do you change intermittent wiper speed?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
How do you change intermittent wiper speed?
Push the intermittent button to start. Wait until you need them again and press the same button. That will set the delay time. You can shorten the time by pressing the intermittent button again. To reset, hit off and then start the process again. You can also go straight to the hi/lo option from intermittent.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:

In answer to your original question, we just picked ours up and drove from Atlanta to Reno. Hit heavy rain in Kansas and snow in Wyoming. Coach handled fabulous. High altitude and weather. What more could you ask for? Best suggestion is to maintain a good distance. No engine brake and no cruise control is a really good idea as well.

Hit very heavy rain in Nevada. Hi speed wipers worked fine - of course in Nevada, the traffic was quite light which might make a difference.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #7

Engine Brake in Rain

Quote:

This is first I have read that you shouldn't have your engine brake on in the rain. Why? I don't drive with mine on, but what about going down a 4-6% grade descent in the rain? I would hate to not have my engine brake to help me get down.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
This is first I have read that you shouldn't have your engine brake on in the rain. Why? I don't drive with mine on, but what about going down a 4-6% grade descent in the rain? I would hate to not have my engine brake to help me get down.
I'm not an expert but I believe it is because both cruise control and engine braking can cause drive train inputs without driver control. In the case of the engine brake it could lock up the rear wheels in slippery conditions leading to a loss of control.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rain

Use Rain X on windshield, you will love it.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybtt View Post
Use Rain X on windshield, you will love it.
absolutely....

i use a different product, but it makes all the difference...

i have never had a an issue, with any of my class A's, of poor visibility in rain...with a good windshield product, the rain sheets off far better than a car....and you are up and over the spray created by 4 wheelers....behind semi, you are getting it, but don't stay behind one....

i find class A's a joy to drive in the rain....just slow down appropriately, and keep a good distance (which is hard to do these days, with all the quick lane changes and cut in's that are the interstate driving norm).......

and when you have to pull over the use the facilities.....well, that's the best part.....i incessantly tease my friends who tow about that.....
willipaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj3964 View Post
I'm not an expert but I believe it is because both cruise control and engine braking can cause drive train inputs without driver control. In the case of the engine brake it could lock up the rear wheels in slippery conditions leading to a loss of control.
That's a grand slam. Most guidance will tell you not to use either device when it's raining.

Engine brakes works the same with or without cruise control. When the electronic foot comes off the pedal...the engine brake comes on...when the electronic foot pushes in the accelerator the engine brake goes back off.

It's up to you. The manufacturer of the chassis has cleansed themselves of any involvement by telling you not to use them while it's raining. I would say to use good judgement. The nice thing about grades is...the rain doesn't pool much. There is lots of slope for it to runoff the road.

I haven't been able to confirm it...but if you were to slide and touch the service brake...if a skid is detected, the abs should disconnect the engine brake...but I cannot confirm this.

Slow down...and use it if you need it and feel confident in taking responsibility for what happens. Just be very careful. No fun swapping ends with a bus.

This response is not an endorsement for using engine brake in the rain. The author cannot assume liability should you attempt otherwise.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

We have drove in the rain on several occasions. I never use cruise on any vehicle while driving in the rain but I keep my engine brake on while driving my Newmar. I just slow down and make sure I'm keeping a lot more distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. If it get too bad and the traffic is too fast or congested then we find a place to take a break. Never in a hurry anyway.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #13
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I donít believe we have ABS having locked up my brakes once in dry conditions. I wished we did.

I personally use judgment on when to turn off the engine brake as I donít just turn it off because the road is wet.

All rain driving lessons apply. More distance behind whatís in front. Slower speeds. Awareness of hydroplaning and knowing we donít have ABS.

Add night time and prepare for terrible visibility. I upgraded my bulbs so itís improved but youíre higher above the light and itís underpowered so use caution.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2019 ventana and up all have abs. I am unsure about prior years or other models.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana