Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
I read entire post twice now. I am very interested as I just received motor new motor today. Can I safely assume this will work on a motor that sits horizontal? This is what my motor looks like:
Attached Images

Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #58
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
All my motors were mounted horizontal.
My gearbox just had a square hole in it on my kitchen side. My bedroom side looks like your replacement.
Just use studs and seat them to the bottom of the aluminium gear box. Then use nuts to hold it in place.

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SLS, I have a new Bay Star with a FWS and each of the 2 motors had at least one loose bolt. Amazing, since it just came from dealer. It's people like you that make this forum really great. Thanks for the effort.
jl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #60

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope they fixed this on later models.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #61
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2000 View Post
SLS, I have a new Bay Star with a FWS and each of the 2 motors had at least one loose bolt. Amazing, since it just came from dealer. It's people like you that make this forum really great. Thanks for the effort.
Thanks for the kind words.

I got beat-up pretty good on my "FIX" when I first posted it. I know many members that have replaced their bolts with studs and have not heard of one failure.

FYI, Use a torque wrench. Work up to 25 ft lbs. in three stages. 12-18-25lbs.
I have seen many post where they just put a wrench on it and will now have a faults since of security that the bolts are tight.....NOT. To hold the gearbox to the mounting plates and then handle the torque of the motor twisting on the plates to move the slide in & out. It takes the 25 lbs. of torque to hold it secure. I rechecked mine after almost a year and all 8 but one were tight. I had one that the torque wrench moved just as the torque wrench click-off. It wasn't really loose but was probably at 23/24 ft lbs vs the 25 ft lbs.

My MH just turned 3 this month but my Freightliner warranty was up in August. I have 60K on it and of course my Newmar warranty was long gone.....The reason I am telling you this is I travel a lot and use my slides 3 to 5 times per day which is way more than the average coach owner. That is why I fixed mine and now have TOTAL peace of mind with my "FIX"

Thanks again - Happy Traveling

SLS
Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Posted this in your second post of your thread, SLS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #63

If there was an annual award for best help post of the year, it would be this one.
SLS, you have saved members thousands of dollars and frustration of broken slides with this fix. It works.
Thanks for the time you took detailing the how to.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

I got beat-up pretty good on my "FIX" when I first posted it. I know many members that have replaced their bolts with studs and have not heard of one failure.

FYI, Use a torque wrench. Work up to 25 ft lbs. in three stages. 12-18-25lbs.
I have seen many post where they just put a wrench on it and will now have a faults since of security that the bolts are tight.....NOT. To hold the gearbox to the mounting plates and then handle the torque of the motor twisting on the plates to move the slide in & out. It takes the 25 lbs. of torque to hold it secure. I rechecked mine after almost a year and all 8 but one were tight. I had one that the torque wrench moved just as the torque wrench click-off. It wasn't really loose but was probably at 23/24 ft lbs vs the 25 ft lbs.

My MH just turned 3 this month but my Freightliner warranty was up in August. I have 60K on it and of course my Newmar warranty was long gone.....The reason I am telling you this is I travel a lot and use my slides 3 to 5 times per day which is way more than the average coach owner. That is why I fixed mine and now have TOTAL peace of mind with my "FIX"

Thanks again - Happy Traveling

SLS
Can you recommend a torque wrench that would well in the range for motor torquing. Thanks
Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Can you recommend a torque wrench that would well in the range for motor torquing. Thanks

Don’t want to speak for SLS but Harbor Freight sells a ICON torque wrench that is highly rated. I think it is around $80. There cheap $20 ones are not very accurate. Snap on also makes a good one.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #66
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Canuck53

I agree with Tigerfan1 for a very good wrench from Harbor Freight. I have Snap-on but that is irrelevant. When I made my original post on how to fix this I was on a three month vacation from Oregon. I was in Padre Island Texas and did not have my speciality tools with me. I went to the local NAPA store and bought a 3/8" Torque wrench for $34.00.
Because this is not an airplane you only need a torque wrench that will create repeatability. Does not need to be World Class Accurate.
FYI, I am not sure about the ICON but the testing I have seen would put them on Parr with Snap-ON. The only thing I like about my Snap-on is that it "Clicks-Off" a little better. I used my NAPA all the time and leave it in the side compartment of my MH. I have checked it with my Snap-On and did not see a measurable difference in torque.

By using the same torque wrench each time you will know if the bolts have started to loosen up. This is why I stated that the members don't use a torque wrench don't know if they have started to loosen up to the gearbox and mounting plate. The loctite may keep the bolt "LOCKED" but that is not the only problem that is occurring here as I explained before. I don't want to ramble on here again but bolts that are loctite or wire tied keep the bolt in place but does not secure the assemble to the mounting plates. The 5/16th stud can handle the recommended 25 lbs torque.
Just use the studs and get a wrench that will repeat the torque each time you check them. The "FIX" needs to be checked at 25 lbs until everything has seated into the "Crappy" slot of the mounting brackets.

SLS
Old 11-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
I have red and blue loctite. Is there any harm in using blue?
Bob
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #68

Quote:
I agree with Tigerfan1 for a very good wrench from Harbor Freight. I have Snap-on but that is irrelevant. When I made my original post on how to fix this I was on a three month vacation from Oregon. I was in Padre Island Texas and did not have my speciality tools with me. I went to the local NAPA store and bought a 3/8" Torque wrench for $34.00.
Because this is not an airplane you only need a torque wrench that will create repeatability. Does not need to be World Class Accurate.
FYI, I am not sure about the ICON but the testing I have seen would put them on Parr with Snap-ON. The only thing I like about my Snap-on is that it "Clicks-Off" a little better. I used my NAPA all the time and leave it in the side compartment of my MH. I have checked it with my Snap-On and did not see a measurable difference in torque.

By using the same torque wrench each time you will know if the bolts have started to loosen up. This is why I stated that the members don't use a torque wrench don't know if they have started to loosen up to the gearbox and mounting plate. The loctite may keep the bolt "LOCKED" but that is not the only problem that is occurring here as I explained before. I don't want to ramble on here again but bolts that are loctite or wire tied keep the bolt in place but does not secure the assemble to the mounting plates. The 5/16th stud can handle the recommended 25 lbs torque.
Just use the studs and get a wrench that will repeat the torque each time you check them. The "FIX" needs to be checked at 25 lbs until everything has seated into the "Crappy" slot of the mounting brackets.

SLS
Thanks I did find one at Princess Auto with a 10-80 range. It is a 3/8. Is that range acceptable?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #69
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will work.....

SLS
Old 11-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #70

Quote:
YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will work.....

SLS
Are all the bolts for the kitchen and bedroom slide 5/16 for the studs?

Tags
slide, electric