RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How long on no shore power?

I had to take our VTDP 3709 into a local service provider for slide work - not a Newmar dealer. It is an all-electric coach with 8 AGM house batteries. He has no ability to plug it in to shore power why it is waiting to get in the shop. Driving by, I've noticed that it's been sitting in the same spot on his lot for four days and could be there another week. How long can it sit on his lot before the batteries drop too low? Should I stop by and run the generator for a short time to top them off?

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

If refer is running then I would run it for sure. You could stop in and see the state of the batteryís and decide. But I think I would check for sure. Donít want to damage batteries.

iowaone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - It depends on what has been turned off. If the inverter is on then the batteries are dead by now. If it is off and the battery switches have been turned off as well as the phantom draws (various items like CO2 detectors) then you should be OK for some much longer period of time sufficient for the repairs.

Tom
Ricci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I have to leave mine for an extended time I shut everything down except the refrigerator. Then I set the generator to auto start on low battery voltage. I haven't had an issue in doing this, but If the generator starts while they have it in the bay they will probably shut the generator down. If they do it will not auto start again.
stang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

If you had the fridge on, yeah...that will be a problem. If not, the techís may have shut off your inverter and activated the battery disconnects (both) and you are okay. I would stop by and see for myself, just so I could sleep better.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fridge is off. There are no AC appliances on. Nothing AC is powered on that Iím aware of. No DC items are powered on either though Iím aware that some parasitic draw may be occurring. Think Iíll stop by and exercise the generator just to be safe. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

Do you have the Auto start feature on the genny?
Hard to believe the guy doesn't even have a 15A plug you could use to keep the batteries charged.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Itís queued up waiting for attention in a vacant lot across the street designated for that purpose. If I knew what I was doing, I could activate the auto genstart which Iíve never used.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #9

FWIW, before placing our coach into storage (with no power), I fully charge the batteries, top off my wetted cells with water, then turn off the inverter/charger, activate both chassis and house cutoffs. Then I flip all breakers to the off position. After 4 weeks in storage, I go up, reverse battery disconnects, then check my voltage on the Magnum panel. After four weeks the batteries are still at 12.2 volts (50%).

If your tech shut off the inverter and activated both cut offs, you should be okay.

Hope that all turned out okay for you when you arrived at your coach.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Generally if auto start is set and the coach is started or ignition is turned on then auto start is shut off and must be reset.
iowaone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
Itís queued up waiting for attention in a vacant lot across the street designated for that purpose. If I knew what I was doing, I could activate the auto genstart which Iíve never used.
Don't feel bad. I have had my coach for over 1.5 years and just got my manuals out and figured out how to set my AGS a couple weeks ago.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the fridge is ON... probably 36- 40 hrs and batteries will be down to the point they must be recharged (eight x gc-2’s)...if they are in good condition and fully charged.

if the fridge is off...all lights and fan off...and make sure cargo lights are off...water pump off...etc. Your amp drain goes way down. You could probably go a week...with the Inverter turned off.

Tags
power, shore power