Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi wagonmaster2,
Take what the service manager will give you. It is time to move on and enjoy the coach. There are too many happy memories waiting to be made.

I agree with Gary
All the annoying little things that should have been caught at the factory or the dealership were really working on me......but everywhere we go people are amazed and impressed with our rig.....so don't sweat these things....move on.
You have an amazing and beautiful rig. Start enjoying.
Best of luck.
Len
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #16

If you take a chance, and run out before the Flying "J" you got something to talk about at your next campfire. Personally, I would get a 5 gal. container.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
At first I thought this was my story, we bought a new to us KSDP in April and got scared on a long trip when the fuel system went crazy. " gauge dropped like a rock after 1/2, "miles to empty" was grossly inaccurate, and low fuel light came on. Turns out I had 23 gallons left.

A couple weeks ago, called Spartan. The response" why not just fill up at 1/4 tank several times till you learn how things function. I ask how many gallons were considered " unusable". Their response was all 100 gallons is "usable". Honestly, not much help.

I was pretty disappointed. A big complex, highly engineered, expensive device, full of systems, lights, computers, you name it, and they can't give you a fuel gauge that is reliable and accurate.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would ask the dealer to lend you a diesel certified gas can, take it to the Flying J fil it and get it back to your rig. Then you'll be positive you have enough fuel to make it to the station.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #19

I had over 30 gallons left in the tank and 1/4 of a tank on the guage and I ran out of fuel just before I made it to my station of choice. Add some fuel before leaving and don't trust the fuel gauge. You never know where the fuel pickup is located in the tank.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #20

I pumped 138 gallons into a 150 gallon tank in my coach with the gen running.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
What you will not know till you run it dry is how many gallons of unusable fuel is still onboard. May well be ten gallons or more.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
What you will not know till you run it dry is how many gallons of unusable fuel is still onboard. May well be ten gallons or more.

That's a good point !'

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Forget the fuel gage. Obtain fuel based on the trip odometer. My fuel gage measurements should read "once upon a time".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
If you take a chance, and run out before the Flying "J" you got something to talk about at your next campfire. Personally, I would get a 5 gal. container.
Yeah, I have one of those stories.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We had the same happen to us and where told the same thing when we arrived to sign the papers and take possession of our 2004 DS in 2012. I explained that I would be back when the fuel tank had been filled, as the sales person indicated it would be, so give me a call. We went back the next day and completed everything. For what you/we pay for these things, they "will" have everything filled prior to departure.
Glad to hear there are still people who will demand to get what they paid for. There is NO Excuse for a dealer to send a client off with the Low Fuel Light on.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #26

I'll take whatever the service manager will cough up, IF, it comes from a decent station and not that grubby one I saw while out on a drive in the Jeep which is only 2 miles from the dealership. Certainly don't want to start out with a tank full of contaminated fuel. Hopefully they will take me down the road to the Flying J, which is probably daydreaming.

My big mistake at order time was assuming all tanks would be full like they have been on my last 3 coaches, 2 gassers and 1 DP. The propane and DEF are full, which was the cheap way for them to go.

If I have even 2-3 usuable gals left in the tank will suffice. Appreciate all the responses.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #27

I think you should name the dealer so that others can buy elsewhere. When we bought our new coach all fluids were topped up, free starter kit and full tank of diesel. I wouldn't have expected anything else.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #28

Things didn't turn out as bad as I had imagined they could under the circumstances. The dealer ended up paying for 40 gal of fuel and it took 84 gal to fill the 100 gal tank. So I must have had somewhere around 16 gal still in the tank, whether useable or not, that got me the 7 miles to Flying J. This dealer can't be mean-mouthed too much since he was about $12,000 less difference on the trade than the other 2 dealers I had been working with. Only thing I see is that I had to push to get out without an empty tank of fuel.

I appreciate all the advice on the amount of fuel usually left in the tank after it almost reaches empty. Made it a little less stressful getting out on the Interstate highway wondering how far I was going to get.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel