RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

How many cracked tiles do you have?

I'm interested in a survey, for those of you with recent Newmar coaches with tile floor. Please respond below.

I have three cracked tiles after seven months on the road. All are hairline cracks the whole tile. Newmar is actually replacing all three of those tiles right now, under warranty, but I am wondering how expensive this will be when/if I have another three tiles to replace next year.

(My service person said that they don't see a lot of cracked tiles. If so, that makes me wonder whether I have just gotten unlucky or if there something contributing to my crackage.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 Safari with ceramic tiles across the main floor, and there is one with a crack after 22,000 miles and more than a few drunken parties Dunno how/when the tile got broken, but it might have been when the floor came up and biatch slapped me upside the head.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

We have 3 or 4 cracked tiles. All but one was found when we took possession of the coach. We'll get the tiles replaced near the end of our warranty period.
Aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

So far none for us but we are using those pain in the butt tile protectors. I hate them. When we only stop for a night we feel like taking them up is too much work so they stay down.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #5

That's an interesting point re: the protectors. I don't use the protectors at all, but as it happens all of my cracked tiles are not on a roller path or even under a slide.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
That's an interesting point re: the protectors. I don't use the protectors at all, but as it happens all of my cracked tiles are not on a roller path or even under a slide.
Just wondering is changing out broken tile a dealer repair or did it need to go back to Newmar?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Cracked Tiles

Had a 2002 Dutch Star with 40,000 miles when I sold it with 6 or 8 cracked tiles (6" tiles). Have a 2005 Mountain Aire now with 75,000 miles, noticed my first cracked tile last year ( various size tiles). I think some cracking of tiles is the nature of the beast but maybe not that many or that soon. Replacing tiles is no big deal, IF you have some matching tiles and matching grout. Bottom line, it would be wise to procure some of both as Newmar, or any other tile supplier may not have matching color when you need them. Then it becomes a big problem. Logic says that a heavy beast like we all drive, bouncing down the road, torqueing every which way when parking, will flex somewhere along the way enough to a crack a (some) tile.
Jim
JLDHELMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDHELMS View Post
Had a 2002 Dutch Star with 40,000 miles when I sold it with 6 or 8 cracked tiles (6" tiles). Have a 2005 Mountain Aire now with 75,000 miles, noticed my first cracked tile last year ( various size tiles). I think some cracking of tiles is the nature of the beast but maybe not that many or that soon. Replacing tiles is no big deal, IF you have some matching tiles and matching grout. Bottom line, it would be wise to procure some of both as Newmar, or any other tile supplier may not have matching color when you need them. Then it becomes a big problem. Logic says that a heavy beast like we all drive, bouncing down the road, torqueing every which way when parking, will flex somewhere along the way enough to a crack a (some) tile.
Jim
Newmar did supply me with a few extra tile but no grout. I have to go back to Nappanee in a few weeks maybe I'll ask for some grout.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

I believe the ease of replacing the tiles depends on whether you have the electric floor heat. When I dropped off the coach, I had 43 items for repair, and I decided to take it to Indiana instead of a dealer down the street. The tech said that the floor tile on these coaches was one of the things they much prefer to do there. (I also had a wall issue that's specific to my floor plan that was going to be a lot to ask of a dealer, so the 1000 mile trip was going to happen either way.)

I did bring back the extra tiles they gave me at delivery so they might match better. I won't have many left after this trip, though.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
About 7 months into our new Ventana we noticed one hair line crack in a tile located just outside the half bath doorway. Newmar replaced it during our year 1 warranty work. No more cracks after that.

Newmar did provide me with I believe 5 replacement tiles should I ever need them.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We're tile front to back with floor heat; no cracked tile.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had my DS4018 for 6 months and no cracked tiles so far (knock on wood). I'm wondering if the longer chassis is more prone to tile cracking?

That being said, I do have a gouge on one of the tiles on the passenger kitchen slide. It actually blends in quite nicely to the marble pattern on the floor so it hasn't been an issue that needs immediate attention. I will be adding it to my short warranty repair list.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

13 months on the road with heated floors and no cracked tiles
Old 11-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
21 months old and no cracked tiles.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote