Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

How much customization is too much for Newmar these days?

We've been out of the MH world for a few years but I remember Newmar allowing certain things to be added/deleted. We will be entering back into the MH world and DutchStar is the likely range. Probably on of the 40' plans.

But I want LiFePo batteries and solar to start. I don't want to pay for AGM and all associated chargers/solar controllers/inverters to only pull them all out and replace them with higher end hybrid systems. I'm wondering if Newmar would simply install the newer/higher end system at the factory? Obviously I'd pay the difference. I'm not a huge fan of Corian vs a Caesarstone quartz counter tops - likely not changeable but I thought I'd ask if anyone has. Also I like the idea of Silverleaf system. The other change I think we'd like is the more contemporary look of the NewAire woods. Ceiling AC vents particularly.

I know Newmar is building flat out with more orders than they can handle so I can imagine they'd likely just tell me to go away. Anyone with a recent build got away with this level of customization?
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #2

Unfortunately, the answer is almost certainly no. All I wanted them to do was install a different modem and antenna and I got a big fat “nope”.

So just based on the fact that they wouldn’t do something simple like that for me, I highly doubt that would do what you’re asking.

Basically, you can delete a good amount of things and swap in a good amount of things from their other lines (a good amount, but not everything) But getting stuff that isn’t offered in any of their lines, forget about it.

You should still ask though. I’m pretty good at being wrong...
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
But I want LiFePo batteries and solar to start. I don't want to pay for AGM and all associated chargers/solar controllers/inverters to only pull them all out and replace them with higher end hybrid systems. I'm wondering if Newmar would simply install the newer/higher end system at the factory? Obviously I'd pay the difference.
This is my understanding of how it works. You can order a wide range of things in the solar department from Newmar. Newmar drives your rig to Solar Energy Systems, LLC in Nappanee and they do all the work, since they specialize in this stuff. I think, but am not sure the guys that run SES did solar for Newmar when Newmar did their own solar. They drive it back to the Newmar facility and you pick it up and say, nice!

I skipped the middleman and went to them directly. I continue to be very well pleased, which is saying something coming from a curmudgeonly crotchety cynical former military electronics repairman who still has preferences on how electrical stuff should be done. They tolerated my many operational questions with the right sense of humor. I am confident I know how it all works and that I got a good deal.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
We've been out of the MH world for a few years but I remember Newmar allowing certain things to be added/deleted. We will be entering back into the MH world and DutchStar is the likely range. Probably on of the 40' plans.

But I want LiFePo batteries and solar to start. I don't want to pay for AGM and all associated chargers/solar controllers/inverters to only pull them all out and replace them with higher end hybrid systems. I'm wondering if Newmar would simply install the newer/higher end system at the factory? Obviously I'd pay the difference. I'm not a huge fan of Corian vs a Caesarstone quartz counter tops - likely not changeable but I thought I'd ask if anyone has. Also I like the idea of Silverleaf system. The other change I think we'd like is the more contemporary look of the NewAire woods. Ceiling AC vents particularly.

I know Newmar is building flat out with more orders than they can handle so I can imagine they'd likely just tell me to go away. Anyone with a recent build got away with this level of customization?

I have a 2019 Baystar that I picked up about a year ago. I asked to replace the batteries with Lithium Phosphate batteries and they refused. They said they hadn't been tested and wouldn't do it. I did get them to install a different tv antenna. It may be that there is more flexibility with the higher end lines, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get them to install the batteries.
goderda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goderda View Post
I have a 2019 Baystar that I picked up about a year ago. I asked to replace the batteries with Lithium Phosphate batteries and they refused. They said they hadn't been tested and wouldn't do it. I did get them to install a different tv antenna. It may be that there is more flexibility with the higher end lines, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get them to install the batteries.
We have to remember that they are responsible as the manufacturer for any safety issues that occur after the sale. So let's say you have these LiPo's you want installed and they do it. Six months later you are on a trip and during the middle of the night one of those batteries out gas's and both you and your wife parish in the fire. Care to guess how may law firms will line up at your wake to talk to your kids about the up coming law suit. No matter what paper work you signed you are not there to testify that you understood the inherent risks involved when you signed the paper work.

It has gotten so bad that car dealers will refuse to change tires and wheels between like cars due to the liability issues.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goderda View Post
I did get them to install a different tv antenna. It may be that there is more flexibility with the higher end lines, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get them to install the batteries.
I am surprised you even got a different antenna. Was it an antenna that they already offered on a different line or was it something they don’t offer at all? If the latter, I supose it probably comes down to the liability factor mentioned by VP Chianese. Not too much risk in a TV antenna, but if you got something non-standard, it begs the question as to why i couldn’t get a different modem and WiFi antenna installed by them at build. Good old Newmar and their inconsistency when it comes to the experience of specials

I am frankly shocked by the experience that ericllucas had. Wish I knew how to sweet talk em like that.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
While they allow alot of swapping of stuff they are using in other lines, solar and electrical stuff was a no go for our Ventana. We tried to get them to run an extra 6 gauge wire for our future solar denied this was approved in the past not sure what changed. If you are planning a large solar install I would ask for this it will save you from having to either pair the pannels or fish new wiring. Larger inverter denied. Forget about the LiFePo batteries. We just took the standard batteries and are now in the process of upgrading to LiFePo and solar. For cost and quality of install you are probably better off going with one of the reputable after market solar installers anyway.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Perhaps things have changed but when we ordered our '04 Dutch Stare we had over 100 'specials'; some minor; some major.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Perhaps things have changed but when we ordered our '04 Dutch Stare we had over 100 'specials'; some minor; some major.
You know, most folks buy specials to install on their Newmar. Sounds like you bought a Newmar to install onto your specials! I bet she’s a beautiful coach.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
I am frankly shocked by the experience that ericllucas had. Wish I knew how to sweet talk em like that.
Oh don't be deceived. I didn't sweet talk anyone. I skipped the middleman and went to Solar Energy Systems directly. I have the cynical and biased opinion that many upgrades will incur a Newmar surcharge and I will save significant money going to the third party directly.

Getting cables run at the factory would be a great idea. Otherwise you'll end up operating a 48v solar system.

Can't take that credit but thanks anyway.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar