Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

How much discount off of MSRP for a '16...

Now that the 2017s are arriving in dealer's lots, how much discount off of MSRP do you think we should get for a new 2016? I am working with a dealer now on a deal for a 2016. I think I should get more discount than an "expected" 28% off of MSRP as I am taking another year of depreciation. The dealer has actually offered 31%. What discount % would you think is appropriate for a new 2016 now that the '17s are here?
glenspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

IMHO, that's a personal choice. Ask yourself - "Is this the coach I want (as opposed to buying it merely because of the discount)? And, and the current negotiated price, is this a price I can afford?

You can spend hours/days/months negotiating for that additional $500 off the price. But a "good deal" is the item you want, at a price you can afford.

Every deal is different. Someone can come on here and tell you they got 40% off MSRP. But there a whole HOST of information they aren't telling you. Are they inflating the truth? Did they purchase a bunch of dealer installed accessories/changes to the coach where they paid full price from the Dealer service and the dealer showed a larger discount on the coach knowing they were making up the difference on the back end with the accessories and service contracts?

If you are comfortable with the price, and its the coach you want I say go for it...which is easy for me to say because its your money
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
^X2 but 31% is a good discount. I got 29 off a preorder for a 2016 in May of 2015.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Call Doug at Coachlite RV he gave me the best price on a new 2016. I checked the country and he beat them all with his first quote. No Haggle.
AndySally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Midway RV had the best price after I shopped other dealers
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

I also bought from Coachlight and was very very happy with my pricing and experience. With that said, 31% is a pretty smoking offer. If you like the coach I would do it, its not likely worth the haggle to get another percentage or so, especially if you like the way that the coach is optioned and you dont have to wait for it.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Something else to consider is where will you be having future warranty work performed. We have seen a lot of dealers who will either not work on a coach that they didn't sell or give you a 6 month lead time for repairs.

Price is important but there are a lot of other factors to consider.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A friend of ours got 30% off a special order 2016 MA in December 2015 from North Trail. Admittedly, that was after some heavy negotiating with two sellers (Northtrail and Independnce in winter Haven). Since the 2017s are out, the 2016s still for sale have clearly depreciated.

You don't say which coach you are looking at. Our research has shown (we are still in the research stage) that the lower the cost the coach, the lower the percentage discount. But, if you are looking at a 2016 MA, then 31% in my book is unacceptable. What additional percentage is reasonable would depend on how much the official resale books say one years' worth of depreciation is. IMHO.
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

lass, It has been my experience that dealers that have a good price on an honest and straight forward deal will also give the best service. The dealers that are difficult to deal with usually have terrible service whether you purchased from them or not. They are the ones that will not be in business in a couple of years.

I also second Mid Way as a dealer. Great pricing and great service.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

You may also want to take into account that the coach, depending on model, may need an oil change etc since that timeline starts with the date of the chassis build. Items like house and coach batteries that have set for a long time, not correctly charged, and the like should be factored in for possible replacement.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I just received 29% off from Southaven RV just outside Memphis. So far they seem like a good dealership. Much larger than I had expected when I went to see the unit.

I bought a lower end Bay Star Sport 2903 so there was not a lot to discount from.

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote