Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #1

Location: hawaii for the past13yrs+ but now on my way to winter in fl summer in upstate ny
How much harder is it to drive w/ a toad?

1st timer picking up my new to me 2002 dutchstar dsdp 4097 never driven anything near this size ! how much harder is it to have a toad ? mahalo for any help .soon to be leaving hawaii after a 13yr run. now a soon to be fultimer in Da Dawghous Inn
Da Dawghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #2

Remember it is there - don't stop in intersections or on train tracks! Most here will advise you to never back up.

One of the weirdest parts is never seeing it, unless you make a sharp turn. You will likely have a rear camera, so you can check on it.

Most driving situations, I can tell no difference if the towd is there or not.

In over 60K miles of travel, I have taken ONE TRIP - about 1000 miles without a towd.

Matt B
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That depends on how you feel driving a bigger rig! You have to allow for the add'l length as well as the slightly slower acceleration. Braking should be about the same or better depending on the braking system you add to the towed.
What chassis/engine does it have?
We just traded our 2002 DSDP 4090 last month. I went from the 41' DSDP to the 45' Magna with no trouble at all, but I'm one of those that never has had trouble with RV or truck driving. Some people never seem to master it at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Learn how your RV feels and the noises it makes while accelerating coasting and braking. As a CDL truck driver I will often feel or hear a problem long before I can SEE a problem. Like they said you will not see your toad except on the camera. Even then watch when you brake for any slack in the hookup. Slack means a growing problem like a loose tow ball. Finally, stop down the road a mile or two and walk around and inspect EVERYTHING! Sooner or later you will forget to stow something. Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I never thought driving with a toad was harder, just different.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post

Most driving situations, I can tell no difference if the towd is there or not.
I will second that..2400 pounds of Motor home 2500 of dodge Neon... I see it in my rear view camera...that's the only way I know it is there.

Suggestion... Drive with rear view camera ON.. Why they do not make that the default I do not know.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How much harder is it to drive w/ a toad?

As far as I'm concerned coach plus towed is what's normal. I cannot compare. We've covered 25,000 miles in the past few years, and as a rule when we move the coach the car is trailing. I may have a cumulative total of 40-50 miles without the towed attached.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You may be a bit nervous at first but remember setup is more important. Invest in a quality tow setup and auxiliary braking system. In the 20+ years of RVing now I don't think I have ever gone anywhere without either flat-towing our toad or our enclosed trailer.

I think the hardest thing for people to get used to is remembering that when flat towing you won't have the ability to back up. Plan fuel stops, rest areas and all other stops and routes with that in mind and you will be fine.

After a short while you will merely glance at the monitor once in a while just to make sure it is still there.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

A Toad Story

It's not harder at all. Where the coach goes......the toad goes. Of course rear cameras are nice to watch. As long as the rear wheels of the coach clears in a turn, then the toad will follow like a home sick puppy dog! Happy Towing
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dawghouse View Post
1st timer picking up my new to me 2002 dutchstar dsdp 4097 never driven anything near this size ! how much harder is it to have a toad ? mahalo for any help .soon to be leaving hawaii after a 13yr run. now a soon to be fultimer in Da Dawghous Inn
I am towing a Jeep Wrangler and cannot "feel" any difference when it is there versus not. As a percentage, the Wrangler is 10% of the weight of my DSDP compared to my last rig (a Pace Arrow) where it was 24%.

The Wrangler is much narrower so the wheel track is always "inside" the motorhome wheel track (meaning it does not require a wider turn radius to clear a curb/bollard/etc...). The biggest "problem" is avoiding any situation that requires backing up because that requires unhooking the toad.

As already noted, length is obviously greater so be aware of that.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

YA, there's a lot of people out there that never drove anything that size. Do a couple of safe practice runs, And always safe traveling to you. Might want to listen to the person on your right.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I should add, there are some interesting RV driving video's on YouTube. Search for "RV Driving Skills". Some of the pointers and reference point setup can be very useful.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very little difference.

We back up with our TOAD, if its anything greater than a straight few feet, the wife gets out and spots and watches the steering tires on the TOAD to keep them reasonably oriented correctly.

It doesn't hurt to practice this in a big lot to see what happens.

ALSO - check your turn radius with the TOAD. Pull into the nice large lot and stop when everything is straight. Turn the MH wheels all the way to the end stop, then slowly move forward.

Have someone slowly pull forward with the sharp turn as you watch the TOAD and see what happens Make sure they are ready to STOP. Depending how far your MH back end hangs out past the rear axle, the swing will be very dramatic. Keep this in mind regardless of the TOAD. But specifically watch the TOAD to make sure it doesn't hit the MH during this turn.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #14

Have never had issues with towing. As stated before, the foot print of the toad is inside that of the RV and if the RV is clear then the toad is fine. I always travel with the rear view camera on. When passing another vehicle on highways, the camera gives you a clear view of you position to the vehicle you are passing. I do not notice any effects of the toad on the RV. Backing up IMO is not a good option. FYI

Tags
toad