Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #15

Like several others have mentioned already I don't drain or sanitize mine either. We rarely are away from an area that doesn't have a municipal water supply so not a high risk. Additional I only care a small amount of water on board. Just enough to operate the toilet while in route to our destination and maybe to help clean up a spill. I'm sure I have drank out of it but I can't remember doing so. I wouldn't be afraid to though.
chrisgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what supplies water to your home if you have city water. I wouldn't be that concerned about the tank on my rv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	167242  
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We live in Northern California and are fortunate enough to be able to store our coach in our backyard. Because we are in earthquake country and live very near an active fault I consider the coach to be my safe spot in case of "the big one". The coach is always full of fuel and fresh water so we can use it for several weeks, if necessary, in an emergency.

For the better part of 12 years we have stored this way. I change the water in the tank about every 90 days, always removing the charcoal filter and always using a city water source I trust and know has been treated so I know the water entering the tank has been treated. Except for initially, I have never treated a FW tank. Constantly use the FW tank source while on the road for drinking, cooking etc., never a problem.

FWIW, I carry a spray bottle of food grade quaternary sanitizer and ALWAYS spray my hookups pryor to attaching to any water source. This is a stable sanitizer that doesn't degrade like chlorine.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Maybe my tank drain is different than others, but the drain comes off about 2 inches or so above the bottom. So there is always water in the bottom of our tank that grows some bad looking stuff. I asked Newmar why they did not put the drain off the very bottom of the tank, but it seems that is the norm.

Are others' drains similar to mine?
Thanks,

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
How often do you drain your fresh water system?

My 2002 is as close to bottom as it could get.
Maybe 1/2-34" water would be left if level.
Lifting one side would allow a little more to drain.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowrun View Post
Interesting topic for us....we rarely if every truly boondock and we are always near stores and have water in bottles if needed extra- we sanitized our fresh water tank once- used a bit then emtptied for storage. Then we hit the road, and in 9 months we have never re filled or traveled with any water in the fresh water tank- extra weight to ride along and something else to spring a leak I guess so we haven't felt the need to !
Same here drained it the day I picked it up from dealer never put water in it since
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #21

When I drain my FW tank I leave the valve open when I drive from my house to my storage-about 7miles. There are enough turns that the tank is pretty well drained by the time I get there.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
FWIW, I carry a spray bottle of food grade quaternary sanitizer and ALWAYS spray my hookups pryor to attaching to any water source. This is a stable sanitizer that doesn't degrade like chlorine.
I googled this and see ammonia - is that what you use? Can you share with us what exactly you use? Thanks
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
My 2002 is as close to bottom as it could get.
Maybe 1/2-34" water would be left if level.
Lifting one side would allow a little more to drain.
Ditto ^^ - I can see it from the wet bay.
This is all good info!! I like to carry a full tank with me and use "home" water for a couple days while on short camping trips.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had RV's for forty plus years now and have never drained a tank. We live in Southern California with chlorine in our water. The longest the coach sits is maybe two months between trips.

I know many can be weird about their water, so do what works for you. Those that have to winterize, obviously need to drain their tanks.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #25

I'm with steve and old scout. Our last coach, a 05 Navigator I never flushed or drained the fresh water tank. However I did install a RO system for drinking and ice making. Wonderful. Not sure how or where to install an RO system on our new DS 4369 cause of the FWS.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Zep

These are food grade quaternary ammonium sanitizers
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:28 AM   #27

I drain everything after every trip, you should also. Been doing that for 2 trailers and 3 mhs.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.frankly, cant believe how some folks freak out about sanitizing water but routinely let the pet lick their face--do you know where that tongue was just a couple of minutes ago???????[smile]
That had to be said.
So I just happened to find an old 5 gallon container of water I had put away after a camping trip 15 plus years ago, when we were tent camping.

Amazingly the water was as fresh as the day I put it in that container. Good water in, good water out.

I know now that if I'm sure to put good water in my system from the start, I have no worries about it being any different when I go to use it.

Drained and flushed only once in many years, and that was because the water was bad from the start. Filter, filter, and protect. Nothing more is necessary.

But by all means, be comfortable with your personal choice.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water