Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question How soon did you wax your new MH?

Today I gave her the first bath. It seemed nearly impossible getting the bugs off the front end even trying two different bug cleaner products. Frustrating! I'm anxious to get the rejex on the windshield and front end, and more.

However, I'm not impressed with the water coming off and I have quite a bit of water staining. I'm not giving myself a good grade on this first bath! I even tried my lawn blower after each side was done, that didn't do much good!

It seems to me this paint job needs a good waxing. Having just done my FPU I've heard some advice of waiting 6 months before waxing. I've heard 90 days cure on the paint too. I don't think they wax these coming out of paint so it's essentially paint + clear coat but no wax protection on top. I think it needs a good sealant and something to help avoid water stains.

What's your opinion on when to wax your new coach and combatting bugs and water stains? Being OCD is not helping matters!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Try a product called Bugs n All to remove bugs. It actually works well.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe wax is the preferred product anymore. What I used is a sealant, specifically wash wax all. Many manufacturers call their product by different names, but it's still the same stuff. I used it right away. Works great and will remove your water spots. They say you can use it on the windshield but I felt it left it greasy. I like invisible glass for glass.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

Try easing with a half & half mixture of Meguirs Gold and Turtle Wax Wash and Wax, easy and leaves a good shine. I use a leaf blower to dry the coach, a trick I learned from a detailer friend. After washing and drying I do touch up with a spray detailer wax on a microfiber cloth.

To get the bugs of the windshield, wash first and then make sure it's dry. Use 0000 steel wool to get the stubborn stuff off. Finish with Rain X to make it easier the next time.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
NealC
Do some research here on IRC2 about a DI water filter to rinse your coach when washing. No drying required and no water spots.

And the wash and wax all is a great product.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We followed the factory instructions and waited six painful months before waxing.

There are specific instructions on exactly what you are allowed to use on the Diamond Shield to keep warranty coverage also. Get a good coat of 303 on that, asap.

It might make you feel better to know you can wax the chrome right away, though :-). Helps to get the bugs off the side mirrors.

HTH

- CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Neal, here are the instructions from Diamond Shield customer support:

"Thank you for contacting us about the safest bug cleaners for the front of your motor home. The product that we recommend using is called Bug Magic, but since you can only find that online, I have listed below some parameters to try and follow:

Look for:
- products which specifically say they are safe for urethane films, clear coats, and/or other porous surfaces
- products which are biodegradable (this will limit any harmful chemicals or residues being left on the film over time)

Avoid:
- bug and tar removers (most of these contain harmful chemicals)
- petroleum based products, typically labelled on the bottle
- de-greasers such as Simple Green or Dawn/other related dish soaps
- any Rain-Ex product, they also contain harmful chemicals

I would try and look for the MeGuiar's or Mother's lines of products. They both have a great Synthetic Cream wax which we recommend using on the film (one of the best ways to keep it clean) and have a very good line of cleaners as well."

- CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Stripe on putting on a good coat of the 303. Newmar included a small bottle in the dish drawer when you picked up your new coach. Read the wash wax all literature you'll see that they say it is safe for our surfaces. It really does an outstanding job. Unless you go through some heavy dirt, you can just use it without water.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

NealC,

I use the following DI equipment from this company when washing the coach, cars, and windows on the S&B:

https://crspotless.com/

I have the DIC-20 model.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
NealC,

I use the following DI equipment from this company when washing the coach, cars, and windows on the S&B:

I have the DIC-20 model.

+1
I have 2 CR spotless systems. I keep one at home & one in the coach (smaller 1 canister system). I checked when taking delivery with Newmar & was advised to wait 6 months to wax the coach, which I just had completed. I went with a synthetic polymer sealant Meguiars 21. Love it so far!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #11

Do I need to wait to put some 303 on my fiberglass roof?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
NealC,

I have the DIC-20 model.
Neal, you really need to get one of these. Best $$ I've spent so far. No water spots after air drying. You will be glad you bought this and the time you save in trying to dry the coach will pay for it!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
NealC,

I have the DIC-20 model.
or Build your own as many have done on IRC2.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:18 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Today I gave her the first bath. It seemed nearly impossible getting the bugs off the front end even trying two different bug cleaner products. Frustrating! I'm anxious to get the rejex on the windshield and front end, and more.

Get the Rejex - especially on the Diamond Shield.

However, I'm not impressed with the water coming off and I have quite a bit of water staining. I'm not giving myself a good grade on this first bath! I even tried my lawn blower after each side was done, that didn't do much good!

Consider a deionizer - many to choose from

It seems to me this paint job needs a good waxing. Having just done my FPU I've heard some advice of waiting 6 months before waxing. I've heard 90 days cure on the paint too. I don't think they wax these coming out of paint so it's essentially paint + clear coat but no wax protection on top. I think it needs a good sealant and something to help avoid water stains.

Newmar told me 6 months from when painted at factory

What's your opinion on when to wax your new coach and combatting bugs and water stains? Being OCD is not helping matters!
I have had mine waxed and will probably go for the sealant next time.

I also went up on the roof and used Rejex on the curved roof edge and front and rear caps. These areas are prone to having the clear coat burn off.

I use a lot of 303 Protectorant on a lot of things.

Also - I have been following your threads from pick up to this - you definitely want to do the right thing - have you bought tire covers for when parked outside in the sun??

You can get the full covers that over the tire and wheel or check out the Magna Shade web site. They have tire covers that cover just the face of the tire - IMHO they look better......but I use the full cover when the rig is in storage.

Also one other thing I fell into - was WashWax All.....in between washes - I like it.....https://washwax.com

Good luck and safe travels....

g