Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW....I'm on my 4th coach...all diesels -and have yet to have one cool adequately while runnung across the southern half of the Country. Just too much glass and not enough BTU's in that Evans unit. We even put up a curtain between the slides just behind the front seats to contain the dash air.

This Essex really has an inferior house air setup, trying to keep noise levels down also keeps air flow reduced. For some unknown reason there are no supply outlets in the cockpit ceiling, which would assist greatly when using the roof airs, both while running down the road AND while parked at the campsite.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had my Dash AC system inspected and tested last, I was informed dash ACs will reduce the temperature of the air (outside or cabin) an average of 10 degrees. When traveling through the desert I have a box fan to circulate the air while going down the road.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to assume you will be heading north most of the time so the sun won't be hitting the windshield most of the time. When driving into the sun it gets pretty toasty in our rig.

However, I would suggest running the generator and air conditioning anyways. It will be a good test of the equipment.

You really want to exercise everything in your new rig to weed out the early life failures. And I suspect you may have a failure or two. Comes with the territory.

You idea of driving only in daylight is good, especially when getting to a campground. It's best to show up at a campground at least an hour before dark.

Good luck on your first voyage....you're gonna love the view out the front window!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Ten degrees? I think you may have that misinterpreted? A typical A/C system will reduce ambient air temps approximately 19 degrees (plus or minus). For the cockpit area, the solar heat generated will out run that amount of cooling, so other measures will need to be taken to stay reasonably comfy. But when it's some 95-110 degrees outside, well, you're simply out of luck using the dash air.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #19

Doggy Daddy

I think the 10 degrees +- you were told, is concerning home heat pumps. That is the type of heating that you can expect out of them, without the auxilary heat unit BHD (Big Hair Dryer) coming on. For rooftop A/C units it is common to see 20 - 23 degress difference. I know that typically, dash A/C units can cool pretty good. I have a suburban that will freeze you out of there on a 100 degree day, but given the area involved in a motorhome, there is no way the dash A/C can be expected to cool the entire coach.

I guess the best answer is, use the dash A/C. If it gets too warm, fire up the generator and bring in the heavy artillery .

I have a bad habit of over analyzing everything. It's what I do for a living, and sometimes, it's hard to turn that switch off .

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. They are very much appreciated!

Bill
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
The AC on my last Ford and this one are pretty darn cold..... and you probably will be ok. If needed run the generator and roof airs to keep caught up. If possible spend the nite at or close to the dealer for a night to make sure all is working well and if you have any questions. Read the owners manual ahead of time so you can get familiar with how appliances and other items work. Below is info for the Baystar.

manual - https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...2014BTCAOG.pdf

other info - Use "e0a00478" For search catalog number
http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instan...Mode=&nextURL=
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash