Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

How Strong is the Dash A/C on a 2014 Bay Star

We are heading down south in two weeks, to pick up our new Bay Star. My question is pretty simple. Is the Dash A/C strong enough to keep the driver and passenger (front seats) comfortable while driving? I know that I will probably have to run the Generator for the roof A/Cs when we stop, but I really don't want to run them during drive time, if I don't have to.

Thanks

Bill
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would re-think that plan. The fuel burned by your genny is very minimal and the horsepower draw of your dash AC is not insignificant. In my previous gasser I found it was probably a wash between the two but the comfort was not. The roof AC units were MUCH more comfortable for the most part. The only exception was driving into the sun then the dash AC helped direct air on us but we still needed the roof AC for total comfort.

With our DP I can clearly say I get slightly better MPG running the roof AC units instead of the dash. 2 things seem to contribute to that. The first is that the AC uses a fair amount of HP to run the radiator fan and in the MAX mode locks it up. At the same time with the dash AC my water temp drops to 175-180* instead of holding 200*. That engine runs best at 200* Again, in direct sunlight I will add the dash AC for comfort.

My DP average MPG went up from about 6.4 last year when we used the dash AC all the time and avoided the house AC to 6.8 MPG this year when we ran the generator for the house AC instead as our primary comfort control. Also, we did a lot more overnight generator usage for AC needs this year. Since I don't use the computer but instead just use fuel tank fillings to measure MPG that suggests that without the overnight generator usage we would have seen closer to 7 MPG. A nearly 10% increase in MPG is good!

If you happen to be at max loads with a toad, in big hills and hot temps, your engine may come to appreciate your use of the genny and house AC. You may also come to appreciate the reduction of cockpit noise if the cooling fans don't cycle on as often.

Some folks do use a fan behind the cockpit to help push cool air forward and that is something to consider also.

Finally...generators are best used frequently and under load. You will actually do it a favor running it. Yes, you will need to factor genny service into the MPG cost savings but take my advice...don't be stingy running that genny. It will thank you.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my Canyon Star the dash air does ok job of cooling the driver & passenger positions when it's hot outside. Anyone sitting back of those seats will sweat. Run the two fans. When you stop for a break & you feel the dash a/c isn't up to the task, start the gen set & run the house airs. Turn off the dash air. You won't notice any appreciable difference in gas mileage & you'll be calm, cool & collected when you reach your destination. Enjoy your Bay Star.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would probably depend on whether your facing the sun while driving. Although our dash air isn't to bad we always run the roof air when on the road. I keep the windshield fans running, usually on medium and stay nice and comfy. Hope which ever you may decide you have a comfortable ride home. Enjoy and Be Safe!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I find that I need the dash air all the time (unless it is cold outside). Roof air just does not get enough air up front to the driver's area to offset all the heat from the huge amount of glass up there. So, I run the dash air all the time and need the roof air only on the hottest days of 90 degrees and above. As for which burns more fuel, I don't think the difference is measurable and I say do whatever makes you most comfortable.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Steve N Sal;2165888]That would probably depend on whether your facing the sun while driving.

X2. Fuel consumption of my gen set is rated a 1/2 gal. per hour at 1/2 load . So I figure that's about $2, ( approx.) an hour to be comfortable, when necessary. JMHO: If your feeling hot run whatever A/C units you need , to feel comfortable.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Something that was found with the Evans control for any Newmar coach was the control valve has been installed incorrectly in some coach's going way back to present 2013.
Take a look at this.
Quickest way of checking out after chassis water has heated up put on Dash AC and clamp one of the heater hoses, with a vise grip pliers and see if there is a increase in cooling out the dash if not than you maybe OK, if not than the AC can not over come the hot water, that's suppose to be shut off by valve control, that's on the AC/Heating unit hose.
That's why some of us installed the ball valve many years ago instead of buying a new Evans valve control.
After this was brought to Newmars attention, by the Redbaron, they now identify the outlet hose to go to proper inlet of Evans control.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

I guess a little more info. This will be our first Motorhome. It has the twin a/c heat pumps, with the 5500 watt generator option, solar pane windows and the optional extra insulation. I know I'm just being paranoid, but given the summer heat, I could end up running the generator for 2 - 3 days straight. It's not the money issue. It's just a brand new coach. and I will just have to build up confidence in the various systems. So, I have about 2 1/2 weeks to over think everything. This will be my wife's first exposure to a motorhome as well, I just need this trip to be successful, cause if Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If & when you have issues, you'll discover that Newmar's Customer Service is exemplary.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you find you need the unit A/C then run the generator. Just follow the start up and shut procedures if the Onan, such as - AC are off when starting the generator, let Onan warm up as directed in the manual then Turn on one or both airs as needed. We have always found that its best to run the generator to keep the coach cool when stopping for lunch / dinner or sightseeing. Once back on the run after a little bit, we turn the coach AC's off, if not needed and after the Onan cooled down period, shut it off. These coaches tend to heat up quick in the hot sun. Folks on this site will surely help if you and questions.

Congrads and looking forward to seeing some pics of your new coach!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
For your overhead AC's test them with the Gen running as has been described while your at home the exercise does them good to do that. You will see if you need one or both with the bedroom door closed the Dash and front AC maybe all you need.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #12

007 - This will be the first trip, literally from the dealer's lot to home. It's about 1,100 miles. If I can, I would prefer the first time I get to know this coach to be in the daylight. So I just wanted to get an a group opinion on whether I will need to run the generator while we are on the road or if the dash A/C will be strong enough to keep just the driver and passenger (DW) comfortable. I know the rest of the coach will be warm. I'm just concerned about the front two seats while on the road.

Bill
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

I live in South Florida and never use my roof AC when in motion. The dash air works fine for the front seats. I recommend that after a few hours of driving, you ask your wife to feel the carpet under her feet for any wetness. I further suggest that you stay close to the dealer overnight to make sure everything is working right before you head back north.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should be fine as long as the control valve is installed correctly.
Some earlier coach's had drainage problems as Denis has pointed out this link will explain that.
I think you worrying about something that will be OK in your new coach.

Tags
dash