Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #15

Someone recently posted a picture of a mod to the fresh water tank. They added a fresh water gravity fill between the tank and air admittance valve ... fill pipe went thru pegboard to basement storage. I'm thinking of adding one.

I think the thread was actually about fixing the siphon problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #16

I use my spare water pump & a 5-gallon bucket. Much, much easier.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
You can just add to your hose and connect it and fill the tank. Or if you have a whole house filter just remove filter and add there.
You want around 50 ppm chlorine to properly sanitize.
If you have 100 gallon tank it is about 1/2 cup of concentrated bleach (8.25%)
Or 1-1/2 cups if not concentrated (5.25%)
Fill tank run till you can smell at each faucet. Let sit for 6-12 hours.
Drain, fill with fresh flush out lines. Repeat till chlorine smell gone.
yup!
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #18

I use the bleach in the hose method to fill my tank. Bleach in the filter canister does not sanitize the tank as well, at least not on mine. Water comes from the holding tank through the filter, then into the plumbing system of the coach.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
I use the bleach in the hose method to fill my tank. Bleach in the filter canister does not sanitize the tank as well, at least not on mine. Water comes from the holding tank through the filter, then into the plumbing system of the coach.
Good point for those of us with filter housing after the tank. I put the bleach in my hose as well not because of the location of the filter but I want to sanitize the hose as well.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #20

Be pretty easy to install a gravity fill ports......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #21

I've been using Hydrogen Peroxide instead of normal, garden-variety bleach. Pour it into the hose, connect the hose to the park water bib, turn it on and let it rip. Doesn't smell as bad as regular bleach to me at least.

https://survivalrecovery.wordpress.c...-purify-water/
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #22

Well this is consistent . Multiple amounts of bleach concentrate, tablets, powder and hydrogen peroxide. The only thing missing is using a couple of gallons of Jim Beam. That outta do it.... and you don't need to flush...just sit back and be happy.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
I've been using Hydrogen Peroxide instead of normal, garden-variety bleach. Pour it into the hose, connect the hose to the park water bib, turn it on and let it rip. Doesn't smell as bad as regular bleach to me at least.

https://survivalrecovery.wordpress.c...-purify-water/
You're confusing sanitizing an RV's water system with treating water itself. Big diff.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You're confusing sanitizing an RV's water system with treating water itself. Big diff.
Not confused at all. I only drink the water and have no desire to lick the container. Oh, I'm also guilty of drinking directly from the GREEN garden hose and have done so since I was a child some 70+ years ago.
As a "full-timer" I rely on and use the water in the fresh water holding tank regularly. Considering the fact most RV parks use local city water supply, which is already treated, I only use the Hydrogen Peroxide method when the campsite is supplied with well-water.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
We have used the following technique to clean our boat freshwater tanks for decades and now our RV tanks. This was written by Peggy Hall, an expert in all things marine sanitation. The recommendations for adding bleach to fresh water is 1/4 teaspoon or 8 drops of regular, unscented chlorine bleach per gallon. Let sit for at least an hour before using. Hope this helps...

Chuck
Excellent advice, Chuckbear. I agree that many folks forget that the fresh water lines are more often than not the real but hidden culprit in the presence of bad smell from the coach faucets.

For some time previously, I had a puzzling problem with smell coming only from the kitchen faucet and I learned by sanitizing the entire system that the most important thing is to be sure to get the bleach sanitizing solution into the water lines leading to all faucets and letting it stand in the lines for a while. When I was able to do that I eliminated my problem. When I made sure that the lines were infused with the bleach solution and allowed to remain pressurized before re-running them with fresh water, I saw that the problem for me was actually in the lines, not the faucet or the fresh water tank.

Now, I sanitize my fresh water tank and all fresh water lines at least every two or three months of coach usage. I use the approach recommended by others on this thread -- put the bleach solution into the whole coach filter canister and run the bleach infused fresh water through all faucets in the coach until bleach can easily be smelled coming out of the faucet in the running water -- then let it sit for a while -- at least 6-8 hours or overnight. This has the double benefit of sanitizing the entire fresh water tank at the same time as the fresh water lines and faucets are being sanitized.

After the sanitizing solution has entered and been run through the entire fresh water system and then been allowed to stand for 6-8 hours or overnight in the faucets, lines and tank, I dump the entire fresh water holding tank, fill it again with fresh water, run all faucets again and empty the tank a second time. Finally, I do this process -- filling the fresh water tank, running fresh water through all faucets and then emptying the tank -- one more time, then fill the fresh water tank for ongoing usage.

With my routine, I have had no further odor problems.

This might well be a bit of overkill on my part, but I have learned my lesson on bad smelling water from the faucet when looking forward to my morning coffee and getting an unexpected and unwelcome surprise -- I'd rather be safe and happy with fresh smelling and tasting water rather than be sorry and disappointed with otherwise good coffee that has to be wasted.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #26

....for those of us who grew up in the rural areas [vs urban], this whole thread seems a bit over board. 95% of the time, the average RVer is connected to treated city water, including while at home. Understand that if stored over long periods, water can become stale or if you filled up at a remote CG, I could see the need to sanitize. But even then, filling the tank with 100 gals water, doped with bleach, seems like a waste of both water and bleach. So once or maybe twice a year, I use 10-15 gals of water in the tank with the appropriate about of bleach--what ever that is, then drive the coach a bit to slosh it around. Circulate thru lines and call it good enough. 15 yrs and 175k miles and wife still hasn't cashed in on my life insurance--just lucky I guess. "That which doesn't kill you, will make you stronger."
PS--I ate dirt as a kid too......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
....for those of us who grew up in the rural areas [vs urban], this whole thread seems a bit over board. 95% of the time, the average RVer is connected to treated city water, including while at home. Understand that if stored over long periods, water can become stale or if you filled up at a remote CG, I could see the need to sanitize. But even then, filling the tank with 100 gals water, doped with bleach, seems like a waste of both water and bleach. So once or maybe twice a year, I use 10-15 gals of water in the tank with the appropriate about of bleach--what ever that is, then drive the coach a bit to slosh it around. Circulate thru lines and call it good enough. 15 yrs and 175k miles and wife still hasn't cashed in on my life insurance--just lucky I guess. "That which doesn't kill you, will make you stronger."
PS--I ate dirt as a kid too......

I ate carrots with dirt on them. Does that count?
Old 06-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

I ate carrots with dirt on them. Does that count?
Only if you swallowed!!!
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water