RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to carry my FLSTC

Going on a nationwide National Parks trip starting in the spring. I want to bring my HD FLSTC with us. What are other KSDP owners using to carry their Harleys. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi calhyatt,
Are you towing anything else besides the Harley?

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi calhyatt,
Are you towing anything else besides the Harley?
No Gary, just the Harley.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #4

This will be informative. I hope you get some suggestions. I also will be taking my bike Sportster. I have looked at different options. I believe I am going to have to pull a covered trailer though since I have a KS gasser and the hydra lift type of carriers won't work for me being a gasser.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
These carriers place quite a bit of weight on the rear suspension, wheels, tires, etc. Due to the cantilever effect there is weight transfer from front axle which places addition weight on the rear suspension.

Here is Blue Ox's weight calculator.

Blue Ox also makes the SportCarrier II, which has 2 wheels to support the load when the MH cannot support the load.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi calhyatt,
There are some questions one needs to answer to narrow the search.
1. Enclosed or open
2. Trailer or lift?
3. Your mobility to operate the lift or trailer.

Google "motor coach carriers for motorcycles" and you will get a bunch of choices. Google "trailers for motorcycles" and you'll get choices for open trailers. Google "enclosed trailers for motorcycles" and you'll get choices for enclosed trailers.

Once you see what is available, the choice comes down to how they work vs. how you work. Each solution will involve a set of tasks. The question is, which set of tasks do you feel comfortable doing.

Once you narrow the choices, try to go to a dealer and see the choice in action. Try the loading and unloading tasks yourself.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trailer

We pull an enclosed trailer for a few reasons..

We use to pull an open trailer and once we pulled over at a rest area for the night..about 7 am I heard noise outside and believe it or not there was a woman with about a 5 year old kid...and he had climbed up and was sitting on my 1978 Shovelhead...I went out and asked not so nicely..what the hell are you doing...She was offended and asked her husband over to settle this..told him and her to back away or my calm nature would turn vicious..

Friend of mine had parts stolen off his HD at a Walmart lot on an open trailer...

So now its an enclosed trailer for our Road King and Fatboy..safe and sound...

No way I would put my bike on a platform on the rear of my coach...

JMO...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEFT SIDE DETAIL SHOT.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	30537  
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2008 ULTRA and I pull a box trailer.I have heard horror stories about people messing with bikes on open trailers.I would go with a closed one IMHO
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
No Gary, just the Harley.
The only way to take your harley with you when you are not riding it is inside a inclosed trailer. Then everynight you have a garage to park it in and when you get where you are going you open the rear door and roll that baby out and go riding....... instead of washing it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01407.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	562.6 KB
ID:	30539   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01424.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	30540  

Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

I use an 5x8 open landscape trailer with a drop gate at the back. The bike gets dirty but I bought my bike to ride, not as a show piece, I'll just wash it after I unload it. If I'm somewhere I need to unhook the trailer I can just unhook the trailer and move it by hand, something I couldn't do with an enclosed trailer. LIke GaryKD say's there are different options so you need to compare the pro's and con's of each and decide what works for you.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #11

Question to the enclosed trailer owners. How difficult is it to move the trailer with the bike in it? Do you use a trailer dolly to move it? Do you unload your bike then move the trailer and reload? Thank you for you responses.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiejim View Post
Question to the enclosed trailer owners. How difficult is it to move the trailer with the bike in it? Do you use a trailer dolly to move it? Do you unload your bike then move the trailer and reload? Thank you for you responses.
I move it in and out (straight shot) of my garage bay where it is stored. It is really hard to turn by hand with the duel axles. When I take it to a campground or resort that does not have pull-throughs I drop it and they always have had a tractor with a hyd. 3 point hitch to move it for me. Sometimes they will put it by me where we park the coach and other times they have taken it to a over flow parking area. No matter where it is it still serves as a locked garage for my harley.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Going on a nationwide National Parks trip starting in the spring. I want to bring my HD FLSTC with us. What are other KSDP owners using to carry their Harleys. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I have been told but really don't know for sure that most of the National parks can accomodate MH up to 40 ft. My KSDP is just under 40 ft. If I get an enclosed trailer for my FLSTC I am worried about where to put it when I get to my destinations. I have a very nice open trailer built for 2 Harleys that loads and unloads easily and then stands up on tail to take up less room. I have used it behind my pickup truck but never with my MH. Several of you indicated my Harley will take a beating if pulled behind my MH. I love my old 98 Harley and don't want to trash it but I also know that it will get as dirty as the back of my MH gets during a long trip. I have never covered it while trailering it so my experience there is limited.
Thanks for all the replys and suggestions. I am still digesting all the ideas.
Cal
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trailer

First of all watch it with the old Harley comment..mine is a 1996 and if she heard me call her old she might let me sit somewhere nasty...

Your trailer is a Kendon...good unit...I have a large gravel guard across my rear of the coach for protection if I tow or pull my trailer..I did use a open trailer before..just not doing it any longer...Does your Kendon have a gravel guard at the front?

never wrap the bike with anything..good friend learned that going to Daytona in 2003...wrap made a mess of his nice paint job...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	30595  

Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote