RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

How to get Dish for when we need it

We are picking up our new-to-us Ventana in less than a week and the build sheet says that it was built with a Winegard 5KM-100. The seller, who is the original owner, says that that means we have to use Dish.

We have Direct TV in our S and B home and we were using a Genie in the previous coach, with a Direct specific antenna. Having sold that RV we need to start over with whatever we need to do for cable reception in the new coach.

We would like to keep Direct at the S and B for the time being, but if we have or need to switch to Dish, we can do that. The channels are all pretty much the same.

We do not full time. We do a few longish (2-3 weeks) trips per year and many long weekends.

I believe that there is an option on one or both Dish and Direct to set up a pay as you go program so we would not have to pay for cable monthly for the months we don't need it. We will most likely not activate the service for weekends as we rarely watched Direct when we had it hooked up.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
We had cable at the S & B, so went full bore with dish .. 2 "Wally" receivers in the house and 2 "Wally"receivers in the 'shack.

The 2 "Wally" receivers in the MoHo are just counted as extra bedrooms for $7.a month

HD reception across the board... none of that "yes" on this channel and "no" on that channel..

We use the Trav 'ler roof mount dish.
(DW Gotta have her PAC-12 network to watch the Ducks & Beavers)
and we get both of the weather channels..

The only aggravating feature is if you don't use them at least once a month or so , You may have to make the call or go on line to get the receiver re-flashed.. no big deal ..

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contact winegard and see what is involved in swapping the lnb out for a dtv version.

You will also need to add a SWiM power adapter and splitter, but this is most likely a trivial task as the wiring is all located in the bay where it should be.

I just recently added a SWM8 to my in motion so that I can easily swap between the traveler and in motion without any receiver reconfiguring. I was prepared to add it to the roof,but discovered all the wires are located in the bay near a power source.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

Just go buy yourself a ground based open face dish tripod assembly and set your new rig up for your Direct account.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I dint know what winegard 5KM-100 is, a quick Google didnt find it. But, assuming it's a sat antenna for Dish. Likely compatible with a Dish Wally reciever. About $80. Then subscribe to Dish pay-as-you-go service. About $35-40/month and you can turn it off/on as desired.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We went with Dish and the 2 "Wally" receivers in the MoHo are just counted as extra bedrooms for $7.a month

This is basically what we do: DISH at home, extra Wally for the camper for $7/mo. We switched from DirecTV many years ago after they dropped some channels on us. Overall pretty happy with DISH, although anyone considering their service should be aware they lost the HBO channels and it's highly unlikely they will ever come back to DISH. As a result of the merger, TimeWarner/ATT are using their new leverage to screw DISH and it's customers in an attempt to drive them to DirecTV (which they now own).
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We had cable at the S & B, so went full bore with dish .. 2 "Wally" receivers in the house and 2 "Wally"receivers in the 'shack.

The 2 "Wally" receivers in the MoHo are just counted as extra bedrooms for $7.a month

HD reception across the board... none of that "yes" on this channel and "no" on that channel..

The only aggravating feature is if you don't use them at least once a month or so , You may have to make the call or go on line to get the receiver re-flashed.. no big deal ..
With the Dish app you can send a refresh signal. It seems like we have to do that or do a reset every time we move.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't believe Direct has a month to month nor turn off when not used setup. They want a 2 yr contract to start. My rig has a MotoSat HD dish with RF Mogul controller and Direct SD service at the stick house. Take 2 of the 3 Direct SD receivers with me with never a problem. To go to Dish would require a new RF Mogul top end and reprogramming the controller. But I'm considering it anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All you folks that have Direct TV need to know you will be losing SD Services in April 2019. You also know that there is no affordable DIRECTV Rooftop HD antennas. DISH has always broadcasted in HD and there are many different rooftop antennas available for Dish HD service.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Clemson, I received an email from DTV, actually from AT&T that said I would no longer be able to view local channels on Mar 17 in 2020. They were offering to switch me to HD equipment now for free.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
All you folks that have Direct TV need to know you will be losing SD Services in April 2019. You also know that there is no affordable DIRECTV Rooftop HD antennas. DISH has always broadcasted in HD and there are many different rooftop antennas available for Dish HD service.
And I am so happy that I will finally get in motion HD DirecTV. Cant wait to lose SD!

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #12

We had DISH at home and bought a satellite receiver for the RV. Worked really well with Winegard Traveler dish. $7 per month extra (because we had DISH at home) and could activate/deactivate at will by calling them. Easy. Worked great. High Def.
We have since stopped watching any main stream media (on the road OR at home), so no more need for it.
If we ever decide to go back to watching satellite, no choice—DISH. It's the same crummy programs, Direct TV or DISH, isn't it?
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I believe you have heard wrong or got some bad info and in fact have a sk1000 the sk1000 traveler can NOT be converted to directv. A direct traveler antenna can be converted to dish for about 300 $ but you can’t go from dish to direct .. period. For reference a new direct traveler dish is about $1500
Dish does pay as you go ( direct does not ) and a wally receiver can be had fo 80 bucks ( pay as you go requires you to buy the receiver) .
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
We are picking up our new-to-us Ventana in less than a week and the build sheet says that it was built with a Winegard 5KM-100. The seller, who is the original owner, says that that means we have to use Dish.

We have Direct TV in our S and B home and we were using a Genie in the previous coach, with a Direct specific antenna. Having sold that RV we need to start over with whatever we need to do for cable reception in the new coach.

We would like to keep Direct at the S and B for the time being, but if we have or need to switch to Dish, we can do that. The channels are all pretty much the same.

We do not full time. We do a few longish (2-3 weeks) trips per year and many long weekends.

I believe that there is an option on one or both Dish and Direct to set up a pay as you go program so we would not have to pay for cable monthly for the months we don't need it. We will most likely not activate the service for weekends as we rarely watched Direct when we had it hooked up.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I think you all should just switch to Dish here's my referral code. and we both get $100

Switch to DISH and get a FREE gift - plus America's best technology, value, and service.

Hey!

I've found better TV. And I want YOU to have it, too.

At DISH, you get the TV you love at a price you love, including:

• 2-Year TV Price Guarantee
• Free Voice Remote and Smart HD DVR Included
• The Nation's Largest Selection of HD Channels
• Free Welcome Gift

That's right! Join me at DISH and get a FREE Voice Remote and Smart HD DVR included - plus your choice of FREE welcome gift:

• $100 in bill credits*
• 20 free pay-per-view movies

Visit www.dish.com/refer for three reasons why you'll love DISH!

Sign up and claim your free gift today! Call 1-888-608-6895 and use my referral code VCD0020258867.

Want to score free sound systems and more, just for referring friends and family to DISH? Read about our Refer A Friend program at www.dish.com/refer.

* $10/mo. bill credits for 10 months

All offers require credit qualification, 2-Year commitment with early termination fee and eAutoPay.
Other restrictions apply.

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish