Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

How to Level on Excess Slope CG Site?

Yogus the Noob with another redundant question..

We went camping this weekend (or tried to) to Stone Mountain near Atlanta. We got one of the Blue sites which was bigger and supposedly better.

When we got to the CG site we backed in and tried to level. We used Auto Level at first and the front tires kept coming off the ground. We tried manual leveling and just couldn't get the MH to level without lifting the front tires off ground.

Per all the Newmar literature we have, this is a big NO NO. We decided to call it a day and go home. We had been so looking forward to this and really tried for 2-3 hours to make it work. We moved the rig into so many different positions and just couldn't make it level.

I thought if we had some sort of contraption that would lift the front tires off the ground 3-6 inches to level the rig before we hit he level button this would help. Am I going in the right direction?

I looked on YouTube and found videos and then Amazon and Camping World and saw products that you drive on and basically lift the front end to compensate for the slope of the site.

Does this sound correct or are we completely off base. Please advise. We're planning on trying again on Wednesday...

I will say that as we were leaving the CG we saw 2 40+ foot MH with the front wheels dangling 6-12 inches off ground!! One of them was a newer Dutch Star!! I recognized it and the name was obvious. Won't this do damage to your rig?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If the site is that far out of level I request to be moved to another site. We should not need a step ladder to get on the steps due the front tires being a foot off the ground! especially for today's rates.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

Yogus you are correct not to lift the tires off of the ground. The cure would be to cary some leveling blocks that you drive the tires onto and then use the jacks. If you do this then you may find that you also need some blocking under the jacks.

6-12 inches air space, likely they had blocks under the jacks. Not sure the front suspension likes to be hung and the jacks are really to stabilize and adjust the coach frame to level. Not really to lift the entire coach off the ground.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi yogus,
The short answer is no, front tires off the ground will not hurt the coach. That being said I go along with palehorse89. Ask for another site that is actually level. I would ask for another site for safety reasons, people safety.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Does Newmar say not to lift the front tires or not to work under it with the tires lifted ?

If you can't level the coach with them, what good are they.

You could do as we do, stack up 18" long 2X8s and drive up on them.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

I carry blocks made of 2 x material sandwiched between plywood, which is nailed or screwed together. The blocks measure 22" x 11.5" x 3". I have enough to allow me to raise the back tires by 6". That requires 12 blocks. I go up on one first for each tire, then on two for each tire. Then I use the first single blocks I went up on under the Jack. This is a no no too but that is what I do. In 10 years I have on done this once. If I raise the front 6" it's a long step inside. I also carry a 50amp extension cord and enough hose that I can face the opposite direction in a site if I choose. A friend of mine carries a shovel, to lower the ground as needed.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #7

I carry a supply of boards for this situation. Drive the front or rear tires onto the boards, depending on which is the low end. You may need to put boards under the jacks at the low end also because the coach may now be higher than the maximum jack extension. I don't know how bad it is to lift the front wheels off the ground, but you definitely don't want to lift the rear wheels because this is where your parking brakes are.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
6-12 inches is a bit extreme and I agree with asking for new site. I do carry 2 ft lengths of 2x12 pressure treated lumber that I use when needed to make ramps to get RV closer to level to avoid tires off the ground. Also use them under jacks to reduce extension of the jacks. I have gone as high as 3 stacked high (about 5 inches) but that's rare and try to avoid.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

You can make ramps from 3-4 pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 that will get you up higher. I used to do that with our first MH, which had no jacks.
Since then, all our MH's have had jacks and yes, sometimes the tires are off the ground. As other mentioned, if I think it's excessive , I'll ask for another site.
Now, At Stone Mtn, get a site by the loop near the pool... they are all pretty level, compared to the other sites in the park.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Gary said you can lift front tires only off ground and use blocks to support them.
I would also ask for a more level site which most are unlevel in that type of camp ground in mountains in most cases I have found.
Never use the auto level on site like that do not want to pop windshields.
If you have a FWS can be bad news trying to get level for it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I tow a 5th and thus no real experience with MHs. As far as having the coach in air, I don't see the issue. Can't they be lifted in a service bay to perform service underneath the coach? Perhaps the leveling jacks should or should not used to do a clear lift of the tires, don't know.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply's and the help.

We're going to get some pressure treated wood as suggested and one of the lifting systems we seen online.

So many of the state camp grounds have sloping sites and even after asking, begging and trying to explain that we need a longer campsite that's more level yields a shrug and a "we're booked solid and can't break the rules".

I'm trying to get other RVers methods for dealing with these slopes.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #13

The problem with solid-sawn lumber is it warps and splits. So I cut up several pieces of 16" LVL for use as jack pads, but rarely lift the tires with pads. Too hard to step up into the coach when lifted that high.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #14

I frequent Federal, State and County campsites. Many are off level to some extent.

Many MHs with levelers have 1,2 and often 3 tires off the ground. They don't roll away because levelers don't have wheels on them. Once you lift your chassis 3 or 4 inches, your tires are holding nothing, if on loose dirt.

You don't need brakes when your planting 4 10" plates into the ground. It would be like your picnic table sliding down your site, it just doesn't happen.