Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #1

How to run a backup camera cable from roof to engine?

I have a 2004 MADP 4016 and want to replace the old Panasonic backup camera that uses a proprietary round 8 pin mini-din plug/cable setup with a new camera that uses a RCA video cable. I cannot seem to be able to use the old cable to pull a new RCA cable and a separate 12v/ground cable through to the front above the top of the ceiling and below the bottom of the roof.

It seems best to run a new RCA cable from the camera down to the engine compartment and then up to the front of the coach. But, the open area between the coach's back wall and rear cap (where the camera mount is located) above the engine does not appear accessible.

Is it feasible or drill one hole in the rear cap behind the camera and another in the bottom panel above the engine and somehow snake a new cable out through the bottom hole? Are there any obstructions or potential problems?

Any other ideas other than a wireless system that will have it's own issues? One way or another, I have to get new video and/or a 12v/ground cable to one of the most inaccessible places in the coach because the old cable is apparently unusable.

Edit: there is a place on the web that advertises a Panasonic to RCA adaptor, but it apparently doesn't work with the old cable plug.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Assuming that there's nothing wrong with the existing cable...except for the incompatible connector...why not just utilize it? You could either remove the existing connector and add new, compatible connectors, or find the mating connector to the existing one and add pigtails to it, along with appropriate connectors for the new camera. The second option leaves the existing cable unchanged in case you need to go back to it for some reason. You can find a wide variety of connectors at major electronic supply houses such as Mouser (https://www.mouser.com).

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

FC-

If you haven't already, call Tim at RVCams.com, (225) 261-9946. He helped me in my video display changeover, seemed very knowledgeable and was pleasant with which to deal. He could save you the effort of running a new cable.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi FatChance,
If the previous post ideas fail, you can run a cable from the backup cameras down the back/side of the engine compartment underneath the coach along a rail to the front of the coach then up next to the generator and up into the dash area.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I just googled this to find an adapter. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/din-to-rca-adapter This will cost you about $50.00 but you will not have to run a cable. I will have to do the same thing on my RV. I want color back up camera some day.

Bill
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #6

The 8 pin mini-din cable provides (I assume) video on one pin, 12v on another and ground on another. I don't know which pin does what or how the other pins work?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

How about wireless .
Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're going to need to do some measuring and figure out the thickness of that back wall and then determine if the closet, cabinet or whatever is back there can be access possibly via the closet or if there is an area yo can use a long drill and drill downward. You may also want to look at your air intake in the upper left corner of the cap and see if you can phish the cable over from there and then down alongside the air intake tube.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The cables are secured to the roof framing. I replaced my roof this past summer and Newmar zip ties all the cables in the roof to stop them from failing because they are rubbing against the roof framing. Inside the housing where the existing camera is located you can chase a wire from there down the rear cap to the engine compartment easily. Just go back through the hole (or drill a new one) and that gives you unimpeded access to drop a wire down into the engine compartment. Hope this helps.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #10

There is an open void under where the camera is mounted on the rear cap. That open area is bounded by the rear wall of the coach and the rear cap. The bottom of that open area is closed off by a horizontal fiberglass panel above the engine bay. It is not open from where the camera mounts down to the engine compartment. In order to run a new cable, I would have to drill a hole in the backup camera enclosure in the rear cap and another hole about 6 feet lower in the horizontal panel above the engine and then figure out how to get the cable from one hole to another hole about 6 feet away, assuming there are no other obstructions in that 6 feet. Right now, this is the plan I will most likely go with. My bore scope camera should help finding the cable snaked down from above to the hole in the horizontal panel above the engine compartment.

There is no way to access that open area between the rear coach interior wall and the rear cap from the air intake at the top drivers side rear corner without destroying the intake grill.

In order to use a wireless camera system, I would still have to get a 12v and ground wire to where the camera mounts so I would have the same issue.

The open area between the rear coach wall and the rear cap is about approximately a foot or so front to rear. I suppose I could get a 18" long drill bit and aim at a downward angle for the back wall of the closet and maybe get lucky. That could work but would make me nervous drilling without really knowing where the drill bit was going or what it might encounter. This is probably my second option.

I know people have done this, I just need to figure out the best way. I do all of my own work like this and cannot convince myself to pay a mobile installer.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
There is an open area under where the camera is mounted on the rear cap. That open area is bounded by the rear wall of the coach and the rear cap. The bottom of that open area is closed off by a horizontal fiberglass panel above the engine bay. It is not open from where the camera mounts down to the engine compartment. In order to run a new cable, I would have to drill a hole in the backup camera enclosure in the rear cap and another hole about 6 feet lower in the horizontal panel above the engine and then figure out how to get the cable from one hole to another hole about 6 feet away, assuming there are no other obstructions in that 6 feet.

There is no way to access that open area between the rear coach interior wall and the rear cap from the air intake at the top drivers side rear corner without destroying the intake grill.

In order to use a wireless camera system, I would still have to get a 12v and ground wire to where the camera mounts so I would have the same issue.

The open area between the rear coach wall and the rear cap is about approximately a foot or so front to rear. I suppose I could get a 18" long drill bit and aim at a downward angle for the back wall of the closet and maybe get lucky. That could work but would make me nervous drilling without really knowing where the drill bit was going or what it might encounter.

I know people have done this, I just need to figure out the best way. I do all of my own work like this and cannot convince myself to pay a mobile installer.
I would think you already have 12VDC in the existing cable. It is just a matter of doing some test measurements with a digital VOM, identifying the various wires and then tapping into the ones you need.

Making up a short pigtail with a mating connector to the existing one should not be that difficult. That would make it easier to do the test measurements...and, possibly, hooking up your new camera. Doing your own work sometimes requires learning some new tricks.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

I looked at that 8 pin to RCA adapter on Ebay but the current 8 pin cable also provides 12v and a ground to the cable and that adapter does not provide that.

Part of the problem with adapting the 8 pin cable is that it is discontinued and I have no idea what each pin does. I know there is a video, 12v and ground, but don't know which is which and if others are used for something else. Determining the 12v and ground should be easy but the other 6 present a challenge but probably worth a try before drilling holes.

Thanks to everyone for your help. It is appreciated!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

On my 02 MA, I cut an access hatch into the bottom plywood shelf of the rear cap (above the motor). Since the air inlet and fiberglass air "horn" is on the left, I put the access hatch on the right side. Once the hatch is available, with some dexterity and slimness, you can wiggle your way up and into the cap. Once there, you can access the wires, marker lights, etc.

Not recommended for anyone over, say 180 lbs. or claustrophobic. It is tight. I always make sure I have my cell phone with me in case something dumb happens I can call someone so I don't get forgotten in there

For a mod, I installed a safe and another double door cabinet that is accessible via the rear of the closet. There is quite a bit of wasted space in the cap.

I also spray foamed all seams from inside the cap. And the hatch I put wood furring strips to cover the cut seam to both secure the hatch in place as well as to keep any fumes from entering the rear of the cap (that might find it's way into the bedroom if a seam was missed with the spray foam)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #14

@Dav L - that is great information. I was curious what was in that space. It sounds like I should be able to drill a hole in the backup camera enclosure on top of the cap and another in that bottom panel and fish the cable from one hole to the other. From the engine compartment I can get the cable up front pretty easily. I was concerned there was some bracing or something in that cavity but if you could fit yourself in there, I guess I don't have to worry about it. Thanks!

Tags
cable, camera, engine, roof