RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

How to walkthrough change hydraulic fan pump motor in 98 Spartan Cummins Dutch Star

I just finished the job this week on my 1999 Dutch Star which is a mechanical C8.3 Cummins on 1998 Spartan chassis. What a PITA. Also the messiest job I've ever done since it had been leaking for a long time and created gunk buildup. Total amount of time including tool runs is in the neighborhood of 15-17 hours. If I had to do it again today while fresh in my mind, I could probably do it in ~2 hours if all the tools, parts and fluid were laid out ready to go.

Hopefully this write-up will help someone skip the learning curve and have all the tools at the ready at the start. If this guide already exists, then I couldn't find it!

If I missed a step let me know, it was a 4 day job in the end and may have forgot something or skipped something I should have done and didn't do.

Tool list:
  • Socket wrench
  • 1/2" socket -- NOTE that I don't know if they're metric or SAE bolts/nuts but the SAE sockets worked fine.
  • 5/8" socket
  • 14mm socket and extenders
  • 1-1/8" socket (impact recommended)
  • 1-1/4" socket (impact recommended)
  • 1/2" impact wrench (recommended) or cheater bars and a vice.
  • Vice grips (for rotating hoses if needed)
  • Adjustable wrench
  • 1-1/4" wrench
  • 1-1/8" wrench
  • 1-1/16" wrench or use adjustable wrench
  • 11/16" wrench
  • 3/6" hex wrench (T style with "ball" end will be easier)
  • Pry bar
  • Fluid transfer pump
  • Pliers (to get caps off new motor)
  • Para cord, twine, or zip tie (optional, to hold hose in position while draining)
  • LOTS of rags for wiping off fluid and gunk
  • Headlamp
  • Safety glasses (all the gunk WILL fall on your face)
  • Plenty of disposable gloves
  • Creeper

My Part numbers from Spartan were:
  • Fan motor #0700-FF1 - $385
  • Power steering filter #87610A - $15
  • 5 gallons of fluid (ask Spartan exactly what yours uses. Mine uses Dexron III) - ~$75 from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Let's get started:
  1. Use a 1/2" socket to remove bolt holding fan onto pump shaft. This takes a while since the fan is in the way.
  2. Loosen hex bolt on side of shaft (between motor and fan) using 3/16" hex wrench. I used a T style wrench and it worked well.
  3. Use pry bar to get fan off. Be careful not to damage the radiator.
  4. Use a socket wrench with 5/8" on the fan side and 11/16" wrench on the nut (pump side). There's not enough clearance for a socket on the motor side. These are the only two bolts mounting the fan motor.
  5. To remove hoses: Put wrenches and loosen 2nd nut counter clockwise. My pump on forward side has 1-1/8" at pump fitting and 1-1/4" at 2nd nut to hose. There's a 3rd nut on the hose but I didn't use it. My pump on rear side had 1-1/4 for both pump fitting and hose nut. Again do 2nd counter clockwise.
  6. Remove 2nd (hose) fitting the whole way and have a 5 gallon bucket handy for the fluid. Most of the fluid comes out of the rear hose. Mine drained about 2 gallons. I tied my hose to the radiator hose with para cord so I didn't have to hold it.
  7. Remove front fitting the whole way and again have a drain pan or 2nd bucket ready.
  8. I added a gallon or 2 of new fluid to the Reservoir (Dexron iii in my case) and let it drain out in order to flush some of the old fluid. I used a cheap fluid transfer pump from auto parts store and left the 5 gallon bucket of ATF on the ground.
  9. Bring pump out from under RV and remove fittings. I used an air impact wrench because even pulling with all my strength I couldn't get it loose using the regular box wrench. If you took to a tire or auto shop they could remove the fittings for you and put on the new pump with the impact wrench.
  10. I replaced the o rings for the fittings while it was off because why not. The ones on there seemed ok if a bit firmer than I thought they should be.
  11. Install fittings on new pump. I used air impact wrench again. Should only fit on one side, but pay attention which direction the pump goes when reinstalling so you don't mount the hoses backwards possibly.
  12. Wipe off hose fittings and reconnect. Reverse of steps above.
  13. Only difference is when installing the fan back on. Remove the "key" from the pump shaft and slide fan on shaft. Once on, insert key from radiator side into the slot, once lined up. I couldn't get the fan on with the key on the shaft, too tight. Reinstall bolt that holds fan onto shaft. Then Tighten the hex bolt.
  14. To get lid off hydraulic fluid Reservoir use a 14mm socket and loosen both bolts for lid. Remove one bolt and take collar off. Take lid off.
  15. By hand, unscrew the wing nut holding in the "power steering filter". Be careful at the top since it's spring loaded. You don't want to lose the nut or spring.
  16. Make sure old rubber gasket from filter isn't stuck to bottom of reservoir
  17. Place old filter in drain pan and save the big washer. Put new filter on, washer, spring and wing nut. Put lid and collar back on and tighten. Refill with fluid to cold full line on dipstick.
  18. Start engine and let idle, go back and check for leaks or anything amiss. Go to reservoir and add fluid as needed until full.
  19. Spartan recommended turning wheels "lock to lock" 6 times. All the way left, then all the way right, six times. This purges the air from the fluid lines.
  20. Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	158960  

bossturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your write up bossturbo, will add in QT's # 3 ----PROBLEM SOLVERS, you can check the link may find some tips on other items in your coach.
If you need more things to do check this link for all TSB's and recalls it starts with year 99 but some may relate to your 98.
Enjoy your coach we have many members with older coaches on forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, dutch star, fan, hydraulic, spartan