Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How to watch live Packer games without Directv

We are full timers who have Dish. We want to watch live Packer games from wherever we are. I think we might be SOL.

Any suggestions on how to get our team live each week?

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We have been lifelong 49er fans and have purchased the NFL season package from Directv. The crazy part is that we cannot get 49er games through the NFL package while we are traveling because they are sold out and therefore are shown locally. If they are shown locally Directv thinks I'm local and blacks out the game for me on the NFL package......go figure. I can get all the Packers games however
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you're in an area that likes the Pack, you'll get the games on the locals, either through dish locals or OTA antenna. I have an S&B and record the games and watch on dish anywhere on my iPad and with a long HDMI cable display it on the TV. Maybe you have a friend back home with Dish and you can get them to record the games on their DVR and you can log in with their username and password and watch on dish anywhere. Of course that uses cell time brutally. No way you'll stream on a park wifi.

If you're within 300 miles of an area that has your game on locally, you can tell Dish to change your service address to that zip. I've done it for the preseason Pats games. We don't get them this far north in Maine but they showed them in Portland as they're close to Boston, so I changed my zip to Portland and watched the game on their locals. I tried changing my zip to Boston but it didn't work. I think the dish on the house isn't pointed to the sats that serves Boston. That's why I think 300 miles.

I went through the whole NFL season last year jumping through hoops. I know the feeling... :( HTH
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't used it in a while but with my job, I travel all over north America. For several years I used sling tv. If you have a family member or friend in green bay you could hook up the sling box at their house and when you travel, log into sling box, and it's like being in Green Bay. Whatever is on their tv you can watch anywhere. It works with antenna tv as well. Not sure the legalities if your friend or family member has pay cable.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I haven't used it in a while but with my job, I travel all over north America. For several years I used sling tv. If you have a family member or friend in green bay you could hook up the sling box at their house and when you travel, log into sling box, and it's like being in Green Bay. Whatever is on their tv you can watch anywhere. It works with antenna tv as well. Not sure the legalities if your friend or family member has pay cable.
Thanks for the tip! I just looked it up. $20 a month. cheap enough.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Lynn, if you are not FT, and you are using Dish, then you should be able to view The Pack with Sling through Dish.
If you are FT, then you might have to go the Direct TV route.
Never could understand why the nfl would allow half their potential satellite market to be iced out of viewing their product(yes, I know it's all about$$$$) but it's dumb.
DW won't give up her Badgers, Pack or Brewers......
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We will definitely be more than 300 miles from anyplace that would have a local Packer game this winter- that is why we bought the RV to full time in and never see snow again

Sling TV sounds like a possibility. My mom is in central WI and has Dish too. We could set the sling up there then cast it to the RV TV from a tablet. We actually have a TV in a basement apartment that we set up at her house. Sounds like the issue there is wifi and cell data wherever we are at the other end tho.....

A ridiculous solution would be to get a portable sat dish from Directv, receiver, monthly service AND the Sunday package. $$$$$$ Not going to happen

A game pass from Dish shows the game afterwards for $99 per season, but that's no fun.

We could just find a sports bar for any games that aren't Monday, Thurs, Sun night games.

A friend suggested NFL streams on Reddit but in the preseason the quality was really bad and hard to watch.

Arrrrggggghhhhh
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

If you have decent wifi, try livestreamz.net That's what I use to watch the Seahawks. I've got ZTE Mobley unlimited through AT&T for $20 a month plus tax. Granted, I have to watch it on the desktop 20"monitor, but it's better than not seeing the game at all.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
If you have decent wifi, try livestreamz.net That's what I use to watch the Seahawks. I've got ZTE Mobley unlimited through AT&T for $20 a month plus tax. Granted, I have to watch it on the desktop 20"monitor, but it's better than not seeing the game at all.
You probably could get a HDMI adapter for your desktop and run the cable to the TV?
Old 09-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Are you saying that sling is through the Dish?
Seems to me you'd need internet.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
How much data does AT&T give you before they throttle?
Verizon is 22G or 10G if you're using a hotspot
Old 09-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
You probably could get a HDMI adapter for your desktop and run the cable to the TV?
That sounds great but probably way above my pay grade. If you have a 7 year old I could borrow to explain how to do this, I'd be grateful. Talked to an employee at Best Buy. After 20 seconds, both eyes glassed over and I almost passed out. How can those people talk at 400 words a minute and expect a 73 year old to grasp what they are saying.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
How much data does AT&T give you before they throttle?
Verizon is 22G or 10G if you're using a hotspot
AT&T says it's UNLIMITED on their online bill. The simple reality, I've never used more than 20 GIGS and the service remained consistent. I do remember someone commenting that this plan with AT&T will throttle back at 22 GIGS for whatever that's worth.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I made a darn mistake with the name of the service, but, you may be even happier. Sling TV is what I use now, and, it may serve the purpose but what I meant to say was slingbox. It's a small box that you plug in and have the antenna from friend or family go into it then from the slingbox to a tv. Then, wherever you are, you can log on and watch the tv just like you were sitting at your friend or family's house. Anything they get via antenna or cable, you would get in your rig. When I used it i hooked it up to a seldom used tv I had in my woodshop because if I took over the tv online, the wife would not be able to watch what she wanted. Not sure this makes sense but when you read up on it, probably will. There is no monthly fee, a one time purchase for the reciever. Hope this clears it up and sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I just looked it up. $20 a month. cheap enough.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv