Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #15

How wide of a driveway entrance.....

I too am in the process of putting in a new driveway for an Rv barn. What I did was to draw everything to scale including a 43ft mh. With a road at 22 feet wide I need a driveway about 36 feed wide. So I’m putting in a 40 foot covert to just make sure. Also placing my gate 50ft in to make sure I’m off the road before getting out to open it,
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
tcg

I can't help with how wide but do you necessarily need a wide driveway or just one that flares out near the street enough to make the turn without damaging the lawn or anything else. Once you've made the turn you probablly only need enough width for the wheel base.

When we built our house we did not yet have an RV but we live on a very narrow street so I flared one side of the drive to protect the lawn. Our daughter still can't get in even with her Fiat 500.

Of course if you have the property to go really wide for the entire length then go for it.

This is not my house, just an example. I wish it were my house.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I was hoping my video would help.

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
I too am in the process of putting in a new driveway for an Rv barn. What I did was to draw everything to scale including a 43ft mh. With a road at 22 feet wide I need a driveway about 36 feed wide. So I’m putting in a 40 foot covert to just make sure. Also placing my gate 50ft in to make sure I’m off the road before getting out to open it,
Do you think you can make the turn with a 22 foot road? If you watch my video, I would think you’d need more like 35 feet of road?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #19

I would figure what min you need now... then see how much you can increase the width and / angle of the approach apron.... you never know what your NEXT MH might be and you don't want to do it over...just sayin
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I would figure what min you need now... then see how much you can increase the width and / angle of the approach apron.... you never know what your NEXT MH might be and you don't want to do it over...just sayin
Good point! Make it for the King Aire and you’ll have no worries...
Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Have a question about a 2018 Bay Star 3401 with a 228 wheel base on a 24,000 chassis. It needs to turn 90 degrees off a straight roadway into a driveway. How wide does the driveway entrance have to be to pull in safely? Is there a formula for figuring out the turning radius with a 228 wheel base. The rig is 34.11 feet in length. Getting a new driveway so I can make the opening into it pretty much what I would need. Any other factors I should consider as well? Thanks in advance for any input

You might want to consider the future. Right now you are buying a 35' MH. At a future date you may likely decide you want a much bigger MH. Build the driveway entrance big enough so if that should happen you won't have to go back and make modifications. It won't cost that much more to do it the first time. But going back and modifying it will cost more plus it will look a lot better if done all at once. Not new concrete added to old.

I'm speaking from experience. In 1994 I built my garage/shop to house my MH. I build it with a 12' high door opening. At the time MH's being built were well under 12' high. I thought that mfg's would never build MH's over 12' because it's just not practical for the way we use and the places we try to get into with them, campgrounds with lots of low hanging tree limbs and other low obstacles. Needless to say I was proven wrong in the early 2000's. Today it's hard to find a MH under 12'.
Now I wish I would have built with a 14' high door opening. I can get my current MH into the building. But I can't upgrade to anything newer because there is no way (realistically) to make modifications to the building to accommodate more height. And I won't leave it parked outside when not in use.

You asked for input. I hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I can't help with how wide but do you necessarily need a wide driveway or just one that flares out near the street enough to make the turn without damaging the lawn or anything else. Once you've made the turn you probablly only need enough width for the wheel base.

When we built our house we did not yet have an RV but we live on a very narrow street so I flared one side of the drive to protect the lawn. Our daughter still can't get in even with her Fiat 500.

Of course if you have the property to go really wide for the entire length then go for it.

This is not my house, just an example. I wish it were my house.

Bingo! The flare will protect you from running over the grass as you enter or leave the driveway. The main part of the drive does not have to be especially wide (although that would be nice) as long as the flare at the end is adequate.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #23

While designing the driveway, now would be the time to consider placing conduit under the driveway for electrical service, if needed.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Something to think about is whether you will be pulling in forward, otherwise backing in. I find it easier to back in than it would be to back out into the street. 2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710, 37'11"
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
As stated, consider you will be putting maybe 30-36,000 lbs on it - so build the base to handle it...
Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Do you think you can make the turn with a 22 foot road? If you watch my video, I would think you’d need more like 35 feet of road?

I hope so. Putting it in tomorrow. Where's your video?
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
In designing your turn all you need to do is design a 12' lane from a 12' lane. As pointed out the flare or radius is the important part to keep you driving over the lawn or dropping into the ditch or driving over the curb.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know the dimensions of my driveway or street but you can estimate from the photo. I have no trouble backing the coach into the driveway, one shot every time.

Our street is not particularly wide and I estimate the driveway to be about 16', maybe 18'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 6.41.03 AM.png
Views:	163
Size:	630.8 KB
ID:	182818  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote