Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	182931 Got the drive entrance started today. 40 ft wide at road, will cut the driveway to 16ft wide.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
If your MH is only 34 as your sig says you probably wouldn't have an issue but it will make it quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
If your MH is only 34 as your sig says you probably wouldn't have an issue but it will make it quicker.

That's right. But I've been dreaming of a new 4369 Dutchstar for about two years. I think my dreams are about to come true soon!!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
That's right. But I've been dreaming of a new 4369 Dutchstar for about two years. I think my dreams are about to come true soon!!

Lucky Dog!

Old 11-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
40 foot !!! Good deal - THAT should be enough to crab it in sideways

Smart to over build the first time - and put enough rebar and strength in it for the nice and heavy 4369 (the perfect floorplan we have been considering for us - Brett has offered us some DEALS, but timing wasn't right)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #34

We were able to turn left with our 38 footer from a average residential/rural street into a narrow driveway; in a single turn if I made the turn perfectly; otherwise with one backing up and adjusting. Since then we built a garage and driveway for her off a narrow rural road. I made the driveway and garage door extra wide and also flaired the ends of the driveway even wider. We are able to back in in one swing if I hit it just right but at least with one adjustment. Our driveway is approximately 20 feet wide plus the flairs.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #35

The present configuration of the driveway where I am going to park the rig doesn't look too good:(

The measurements of the rig 24,000 F-53 Chassis are 34ft 11 inches long by 101.5 inches wide.

The street is 23.5 ft wide (both lanes) and the present driveway is 14ft wide. It is presently a circle driveway so it seems I will have to take some of the lawn on one side away.

Someone said "With a road at 22 feet wide I need a driveway about 36 feed wide" I don't think I need to go that wide for my rig. Problem is I don't have it yet and would prefer when I get it to just drive it into the driveway because there will not be any other place to put it.

Selling where I am now and going back to another house where the rig will be parked.

Any suggestions on how wide I should make the driveway entrance. Have the room once I get it into the driveway.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #36

Oh, and the wheelbase is 228

Daniel
Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My driveway is 15' wide and street smaller than yours in width, you have to remember rear wheels will move where ever you put them centered on driveway your Ford steering wheels will cut the front wheels into drive to center coach in drive, never had a problem with Fords or Workhorse chassis into narrow drives.
Maybe this link has something about backing into drives. Pivot point
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 279" wheelbase with a 60 degree steering cut. We can currently drive the coach into our driveway which is 15' wide from the road which is 22' wide with a 20' trailer attached.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We have a 279" wheelbase with a 60 degree steering cut. We can currently drive the coach into our driveway which is 15' wide from the road which is 22' wide with a 20' trailer attached.

My driveway may be a little overkill? But better safe than sorry. I got a 5ft ditch on both sides. Don't want to post pictures of my soon to be rig hanging off one side.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #40

many times it's easier to actually BACK IN a rig into a narrow driveway off the street, because your rear wheels, when they reach the far corner, are already where they need to be. Your FRONT wheels then provide the 'movement' of the coach as you slowly back into the driveway, cutting your wheels very hard. Since your rear wheels are already at the corner of the driveway, the rear wheels have very little to move, and the rear 'overhang' takes care of itself.

and, I've always found that a backing 'RIG' stops most traffic easily - they also enjoy watching the 'movement'.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #41

"many times it's easier to actually BACK IN a rig into a narrow driveway off the street, because your rear wheels, when they reach the far corner, are already where they need to be. Your FRONT wheels then provide the 'movement' of the coach as you slowly back into the driveway. Since your rear wheels are already at the driveway, there's much less concern about not being able to get in without going off the pavement.

and, I've always found that a backing 'RIG' stops most traffic easily - they also enjoy watching the 'movement'." and

"We have a 279" wheelbase with a 60 degree steering cut. We can currently drive the coach into our driveway which is 15' wide from the road which is 22' wide with a 20' trailer attached."

are both encouraging Perhaps you can also tell me how one figures out what the "steering cut" is on a rig. Must be some kind of mathematical formula or perhaps its listed in the specs of the rig somewhere?

Realized another potential issue and that is part of the cesspool is under the circle driveway. Never had to worry about bit the rig is a tad bit heavier than a SUV I can widen the entrance way on one side about 3 feet which is what I think I will do.

Daniel
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
"many times it's easier to actually BACK IN a rig into a narrow driveway off the street, because your rear wheels, when they reach the far corner, are already where they need to be. Your FRONT wheels then provide the 'movement' of the coach as you slowly back into the driveway. Since your rear wheels are already at the driveway, there's much less concern about not being able to get in without going off the pavement.

and, I've always found that a backing 'RIG' stops most traffic easily - they also enjoy watching the 'movement'." and

"We have a 279" wheelbase with a 60 degree steering cut. We can currently drive the coach into our driveway which is 15' wide from the road which is 22' wide with a 20' trailer attached."

are both encouraging Perhaps you can also tell me how one figures out what the "steering cut" is on a rig. Must be some kind of mathematical formula or perhaps its listed in the specs of the rig somewhere?

Realized another potential issue and that is part of the cesspool is under the circle driveway. Never had to worry about bit the rig is a tad bit heavier than a SUV I can widen the entrance way on one side about 3 feet which is what I think I will do.

In my neighborhood septic tank covers have collapsed (including mine) and I was told that cess pools are not built to support much weight.
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote