Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

HWH Auto Level Issue

Hit auto level yesterday at a nice concrete, level site. Only the two passenger side jacks deployed, pitching the coach alarmingly to one side. This was, of course, after extending the FWS per instructions.
Sorry: 2018 DSDP
We retracted, shut down power, and tried again: same thing. The system works fine using the manual leveling buttons, and the FWS operated fine. I briefly opened the air bleed valves at the solenoids with no appreciable evidence of air, tried again with same Tower of Pisa result.
Any ideas?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
Hit auto level yesterday at a nice concrete, level site. Only the two passenger side jacks deployed, pitching the coach alarmingly to one side. This was, of course, after extending the FWS per instructions.
We retracted, shut down power, and tried again: same thing. The system works fine using the manual leveling buttons, and the FWS operated fine. I briefly opened the air bleed valves at the solenoids with no appreciable evidence of air, tried again with same Tower of Pisa result.
Any ideas?
Prior to attempting to deploy your jacks, what indications did you have on the control pad? You can call your Newmar service tech and he will get you in touch with HWH quicker than if you call HWH. Knowing what indications you had will help in diagnosis.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a built in "level" that tells the system when coach is level and therefore to stop extending the jacks.

That internal level is probably misadjusted or broken.

Do you have the HWH system (do you have airbag leveling too)?

In the HWH series 2000 the leveling device looks like this (for example. I don't know what system you have):

My coach has a separate hydraulic leveling system (RVA) which has its own level. For the RVA the level is external unit mounted in front compartment and also has adjustments (to calibrate the system to true level).
Attached Images

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Any ideas?

We had a somewhat similar issue last month after leaving CN for our Service/Warranty visit. The front jacks would deploy fine, but the rears would either go down partially, or not go down at all. I could deploy them manually, but not via auto level. Since we were still in the general area we went back to Newmar as a "drop in" and after a couple day wait, service took our coach to evaluate. HWH had them replace the sensors on both rear jacks which fixed the problem. Great service by Newmar and HWH although I'm surprised that we had this issue on a 5 month old coach.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a Senior HWH Commercial Member here. He goes by azpete. He has helped a lot of us when we have HWH issues. He helped me last week with an issue. I sent him a private message and received a response within a couple hours.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #6

Contacted Newmar CS yesterday morning, and they conferenced in Joe from HWH, who ran the system through some tests (remotely). Suspects a bad level sensor in the 725 system. Part is on th way. Newmar to pay via warranty. Were hoping for the best and using the manual leveling option in the mean time.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
There is a Senior HWH Commercial Member here. He goes by azpete. He has helped a lot of us when we have HWH issues. He helped me last week with an issue. I sent him a private message and received a response within a couple hours.
He has helped me in the past also. Good people.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Had great support from Newmar and HWH. Was out of level and they actually walked me through it. Was great.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Any ideas?
Following, as I am currently having the same exact issue with an 18 EXDP.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #10

I expect to change out the level sensor and re-set it in about two weeks when I get home. Newmar and HWH wanted a service center to do the work, but agreed to let me do it since it’s such a minor thing and I’m a long way from a shop. Will post again with results. Part is fairly expensive, $540+, but it’s the heart of the autolevel system, so....
Old 09-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a new HWH programmable leveling sensor a few months back. Installing the new sensor is fairly straight forward but calibrating it can take time.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh