RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #1

Has anyone experienced a problem with the 325 series HWH leveling system.After driving in the rain for 4 to 5 hours for whatever reason my HWH will not operate when attempting to level.The air will dump , however, when I press the button(s) for jack extension the operating pad goes blank.This has been an ongoing issue for more than a year with many Newmar tecks attempting to correct as well as assistance from HWH tecks.No one at this point has been able to locate the source of the problem.My unit is an 04 KS DP.Anyone with any insight or similar problems will be appreciated.

bvmaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #2

Has anyone experienced a problem with the 325 series HWH leveling system.After driving in the rain for 4 to 5 hours for whatever reason my HWH will not operate when attempting to level.The air will dump , however, when I press the button(s) for jack extension the operating pad goes blank.This has been an ongoing issue for more than a year with many Newmar tecks attempting to correct as well as assistance from HWH tecks.No one at this point has been able to locate the source of the problem.My unit is an 04 KS DP.Anyone with any insight or similar problems will be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
bvmaddox welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
Have you ever had your coach into a HWH service center? Do you ever see the lights come on on the display board? If not most all the grounds from all jacks and display board go to a common point. On mind all white wires go to a ground post on frame of chassis. Yours maybe one ground wire to a ground buss. All the wires are pigtailed together than one wire to ground location. If this location is getting wet and connections are loose you may have corrosion on these connections causing a problem. You need to check connection to fuse for the jack sys also. Wet conditions on ground location on chassis frame I would guess maybe your problem. Does it ever work in dry conditions? Let us know how you are making out for further help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Welcome to iRV2.

The fact that the jacks won't operate after a rain is making me think along the lines of the power solenoid may be malfunctioning. There's been a few cases of those solenoids not being sealed and depending their orientation, water getting into them and causing them not to work.

If you can get to your HWH system and examine it, you should find 1 or 2 electrical solenoids on it. The solenoids will be identified by the battery cable sized wires attached to both sides of the solenoid. When you first turn on your jack check for power at both sides of the solenoids and also at the control wiring for the solenoids. You should have battery feed to one side and when the solenoid is energised, battery voltage at the other.

You should be able to hear and feel the click of the solenoid if it is energising. Once it does energise, see if the power is getting through the device.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

HWH has issued a bulletin to Newmar Essex owners to have their solenoid/relays mounted with the lugs on their side and not in a "top" or vertical orientation....In my case,as Joe-K can attest to,the moisture from the solenoids being mounted directly under the front bumper contributed to their failure.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
bvmaddox, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. You have gotten some good ideas already and possibly even the cure for the HWH issue. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. Take care and good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick responses.Todate the HWH control box has benn replaced several times,a HWH service tech checked the system from head to toe and returning to the factory Newmar went to great lengths to encase (rain proof) the contol box , wiring and ect. At the present time I am working directly with Newmar customer service in an attempt to ID a fix.With all this said -- no one at this point has suggested the problem source could be the solenoid.Thus I thank you for your imput.

We purchsed our KS new -- it now has 28,000 miles on it.My wife is a teacher so we travel throughout the summer months.Since 2004 I have often been a iRV2 visitor.Theres a lot of good info on the site.

When I obtain more info in regard to my problem Ill get back to you.In closing -- Newmar and HWH have been great to work with and have been very responsive.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

bvmaddox, as I type this I am sitting in front of the service center in Nappanee and couldn't agree more with your thoughts of how good Newmar is to work with, but having said that,until they encase those solenoids in a weather proof environment or at least address the issue of the lugs facing horizontally and not vertically, you are going to have a problem out of the box every time no matter how many times your control box is replaced.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bill now that your making some headway with your problem how about some KARMA making you a member of the Newmar forum.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote