Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #1

HWH levelers acting up

The last few days I had my front end raised somewhat with the levelers, not enough for the front tires to come off the ground, but noticed they'd started doing a jolt downward a very little every once in a while during the night. Must not have moved down much since 2-3 jolts didn't change the level enough to notice.

So today I lowered the front end and put 3 one inch blocks under each of the front jacks so they weren't extended quite so much. Now the auto leveler button doesn't do anything so I pushed the manual up button, the front jacks raised about 3-4 seconds then quit. Turned the ignition off, back on, tried the manual button again and the jacks raised again for 3-4 seconds. Now nothing on the touch panel works at all. All the lights seem to work but none of the buttons do anything.
This is on a 2015 4018 Dutch Star.

Anyone have any idea what I'm facing? Would call HWH except as usual everything happens on week-end. Just hope the 2 rooms will come in when we get ready to leave next week.

Thought this trip was going too good with only problems with the microwave.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd recommend that you give Paul Maddox (azpete) a call at 1-602-549-3638. He lives in Arizona, works for HWH, is active on this forum and has always been extremely helpful to folks with HWH issues.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

First thing I'd check would be for a hydraulic fluid leak at the pump or jacks.

Also check the reservoir for proper level.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post

Excellent advise.

Also raise the jacks manually to much slope even if AUTO Level is not telling you.
You are only to stabilize the coach with your jacks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post

Would like to be able to check reservoir but front jacks are still down about 6" and i need that lift to be comfortable inside. Afraid the way the jacks are acting that if I raised them and checked the fluid they may not go back down again.
Looked for leaks but don't see any fluid any place.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I'd recommend that you give Paul Maddox (azpete) a call at 1-602-549-3638. He lives in Arizona, works for HWH, is active on this forum and has always been extremely helpful to folks with HWH issues.
Thanks, I'll give him a call tomorrow even though I hate bothering anyone on Sunday but we'll be leaving this campground on Monday (hopefully) and heading toward our next destination.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:57 AM   #7

I had an issue with my 16 dutchstar. Turned out to be one of the solenoid attached to the pump motor. I have heard and read there's a lot of failures on this. Picked up a spare.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go online to the HWH web site and locate the troubleshooting manual for the model of leveler that you have. It is the best troubleshooting guide I have ever seen on any equipment.
I printed a copy and carry it with me when we travel.

Safe travels.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

I had a battery wire come loose and burnt up the main power solenoid, well worth checking.

The other was the main negative battery cable on the engine block, it got a build up of corrosion and caused all sorts of issues. HWH not working correctly, alternator not coming to life after starting and finally I couldn't start the main engine.

Other people had some issues with the pump not being grounded well enough.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did send Paul Maddox a PM explaining my problem. He very promptly e-mailed me an excellent list of items to go through and also the site for HWH's service manual.

So far jacks are working alright doing it manually, as Paul stated would be okay to do, except while raising the coach occasionally the jacks will stop as if a pressure switch says to. If I turn off/on ignition the jacks will continue to raise the coach. Will be home in a few days and am going to wait till then to start going through Paul's list just in case I screw something up and nothing will work, and also any parts i find defective will have to be ordered from HWH. And I'd rather work on it in my back yard instead of in a campground if possible.

Tags
hwh, levelers