Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Jacks Problem on '15 DSDP

I'm wintering for three months on a site that requires my front end to be
kept raised several inches (6" - 8") to be level. Over a period of less than 3 hours, I'm experiencing the right front jack to slowly drop about 2 inches. While it isn't completely retracting, it is raising above ground level and stopping. It's the first time since purchasing the coach new 7 months ago that I've camped on other than a fairly level site. In all my experiences with HWH systems nothing like this has happened...and, as you can imagine it's becoming very annoying. Before calling either Newmar or HWH I thought I'd inquire of this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had HWH systems for years, never had this problem. In fact I had the entire front end off the ground for months at a time with no problems. But I contacted HWH, Koni, Reyco-Granning, Spartan and Newmar before I did it.
The should not leak down like that, ever.
Sounds like the the check valve for that jack is leaking back to the reservoir UNLESS there's an external leak and you didn't mention one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The solenoid valve for that jack MAY have a piece of construction debris that has gotten underneath the seat. Had this happen on one of our slides that was HWH controlled. The dealer replaced all valves on the hydraulic unit and problem solved. The technician noted that he had seen this numerous times. Just a guess but might be similar problem.

burfurd
Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

HWH Leveling Jacks Problem on '15 DSDP Reply to Thread

Really appreciate your thoughts. Unless the fix is something I can handle
on my site, looks like I'm in a "pickle" until I return home first of April!
Can't imagine that Newmar/HWH would be generous enough to dispatch
help at my site!?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Because you're in warranty perhaps Newmar will work with a mobile mechanic.
Several years ago, while under warranty, they diagnosed a slide problem and sent a mobile mechanic to fix it at no cost to me.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
Several years ago, while under warranty, they diagnosed a slide problem and sent a mobile mechanic to fix it at no cost to me.

Good advice given. I would definitely give Newmar a call and explain the circumstances of where your at. Let us know what they say. There is a member on this site,(AzPete) that is a longtime HWH tech who has been "very" helpful in the past to myself and other members. He has gracefully offered to try and help members with their problems if they contact him. Click the Community link on the bar at the top of the page and type his screen name in the search box. It will have additional info on how to e-mail him.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #7

HWH Leveling Jacks Problem on '15 DSDP

Thanks, fellows, for your thoughts and encouragement. I'll contact Newmar this morning and report back their response. Larry
Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
We just had a jack leaking while on the road and Newmar authorized a mobile tech to look at it. Turned out to be a bad fitting causing fluid to leak. We had to pay the tech for the job, but Newmar reimbursed us for the cost.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

I assume you don't see any ATF leaking out of the jack, solenoid valve or fittings on this jack? Raise all the jacks, locate this jacks solenoid valve.
These are on top of your HWH pump & tank on the curd side up front of the fire wall in your generator access area. - manual will show you which one it is- I think it's the second one of the four from the right side as you view them looking at the front of the coach. Measure the length of the T handle protrusion- write it down, loosen the T handle jam nut & unscrew the T handle until it almost totally loose. Tighten it back down to the previous recorded protrusion length & see if you can tighten it by hand a little more (1/2 to 1 turn) . Level the coach again- see if this solves your problem. If it does, tighten down the jam nut.

This procedure will flush out any particle(s) trapped in the valve as well as seating it down a little more to ensure it's not leaking by the valve seat.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Thanks, Capt. Bill...and all others. I'll make an effort to look thoroughly for anything unusual, like leaks, when the rains let up. And follow through with the suggestions you offered. For information of all, Newmar without hesitation was agreeable to having an area mobile service come to my unit and take care of all expenses. Un-
fortunately, the only available service "wouldn't" come to me before March 8th to diagnose. By the time they got around to ordering the part(s) and scheduling me to drive to them for installation it would be time for me to head back North! I thanked Newmar and told both I'd "suffer it out" until back home. In the meantime, however,
I do plan to follow through with the suggestions offered. Probably wouldn't hurt to talk to HWH, as I've had good experiences in the past from their techs.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I have a warranty concern while we are on vacation and the Customer Service Dept. gave me the name of a Mobile Mechanic who would handle a warranty claim. Unfortunately i am still awaiting the Mobil Mechanic to arrive but we have a few months before we go home. Give it a try it may be an easy fix.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Capt. Bill...for info, my HWH jack solenoids have the "cam release". HWH walked me through checking the right front solenoid...flipping the cam in opposite the default position, flipping it back to default, then level the coach and see what the
results are. Turned out that the results are the same, i.e., after a couple hours the right front jack will retract (right front of coach drops) a couple inches. Interesting to me that it doesn't completely retract...just remains at about 6" (whereas it needs
to be at 8" to be level). HWH is satisfied the solenoid needs replacing. As I stated earlier, Newmar authorized having a mobile service fix the problem, but none can come to me before March 8th! I likely could replace the solenoid myself, but haven't
discussed that with Newmar. Sure is a hassle needing to "crank up" that right front corner fairly often to be comfortable. Have you experienced a similar problem? Sure appreciate your thoughts. Larry
Old 02-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
If the forward jack is lowering only 2" and remains at that level, why not put a 2x4 or another type of base plate under the jack so that the coach remains level. Do you believe that the jack will fall another 2"? We are in Key West and have tried to get the mobile tech here for the recall on the baggage locks and the steps not working. Still awaiting a date but he promises to come soon. Am wondering that since both of the items are under warranty whether Newmar's hourly rate is less than he is getting from the general public?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #14

Geoff, hope your mobile tech has shown up and taken care of your concerns. Actually, in my case the right front jack is either retracting or
slipping, if the latter is possible. In any case, after about 3 hours the right
front of the coach drops over 2 inches! I'm not able to place any more
boards, etc., than what I have there, already. If the jack is in fact retracting I'm curious why it doesn't fully retract?? For the latest info,
Newmar is shipping me the replacement solenoid and has arranged for the
nearest mobile tech to take care of me Monday 2/22. It's the same mobile
service who initially informed me they could not come before March 8th.
Should mention that "Rick" with Newmar took the bull by the horns and did
an impressive job for me. Couldn't ask for any better from Newmar than
that! Thanks for your response...and good luck/safe travels!

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks