Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

HWP Jacks -- Violent Movement and Strange Popping Noises

We have a new-to-us 1998 40' MADP. This morning when getting ready to raise the hydraulic jacks, I first started up the engine to allow the coach to come to ride height prior to pushing the HWP button twice (which causes an automatic raising and storing of the jacks). As the air system became pressurized, while the coach was starting to elevate (before any pressing of the HWP button), some loud popping noises were heard. These noises were being emitted from the jacks and seemed to be caused by movement within or by the jacks (either within the jack system itself or possibly some moving of the jacks along the parking surface which was fairly level, paved asphalt street). So, thinking something could get damaged, I pushed the HWP button twice to initiate the raising of the jacks. Immediately there was a very sudden, violent lurching downward of the coach as the hydraulic jacks were released. This lurching downward seems abnormal. Is it? Should the releasing (i.e., storing) of the jacks be a smooth process or do all systems just drop violently? Should (as stated in the HWP manual) the coach be brought to ride height before raising the jacks? Also, does anyone have a theory of the popping noises? All ideas or suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks !!
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Road-Chi....on my previous coach, the jacks extended straight down (Ramco jacks). My new coach has the HWH system and the front jacks are angled outward. If your jacks are the same, I think they sometimes get hung up when retracting. The force put on them from angling out is greater than those that go straight down. As the jacks retract, they drag inward momentarily rather than lift straight up. This may be caused by some settling that doesn't occur at every campground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Correct on the HWH's. I experience the same thing periodically. Now that I think about it - primarily when I am on a hard surface.

Dave
Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
There is a thread on here somewhere......about this I posted in and it was discussed in length.....about airing up and jacks down. After the first time experiencing what you are posting here(Happened to me also) I changed my "get ready to depart" method. When the air system air's the bags up, the Coach will tend to roll a bit forward, by design when airing up, now, if like mine, the rear bags start to air up first, leaving the front jacks on the ground still.......and with the Coach rolling forward during this process. the jacks are getting a tremendous amount of pressure pushing the Coach forward while a lot of weight is still on the jack's, making all kinds of bad noises........ skidding them across the ground.....Bad. Shortly after figuring out what was going on, right after buying mine years ago, I now, when ready to leave, manually let the Coach down off the jacks in a easy side to side motion, little at a time not twisting the chassis, then when on the frame, I start it up, restart the HWH system and hit the store button.......and go out for a walk-a-round. Before, when on the jacks, especially when the front was high, and when ready to leave, I would just hit the "store" button.....I did not like how fast it dropped......so , came the manual method I use today. Give it a try, can't hurt.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

Road-Chi

The popping sound is as stated is normal on some surfaces and can happen occasionally and in 14 years have never caused a problem. The HWH jacks are rugged.

As far as a fast drop, that will happen when you are raised rather high and the air bags are not fully inflated, again normal and only happens occasionally if those conditions are met.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Road-Chi

The popping sound is as stated is normal on some surfaces and can happen occasionally and in 14 years have never caused a problem. The HWH jacks are rugged.

As far as a fast drop, that will happen when you are raised rather high and the air bags are not fully inflated, again normal and only happens occasionally if those conditions are met.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt Aire
Rugged....Yes Al.....To some extent........If you would like, I can post a picture of my jack mount on my 625's , the front right side jack mount tabs are bent "forward"........just guessing what caused them to bend
They are jacks, made for and by design to operate up and down, lifting.......not getting shoved forward with weight on them........
The sounds, and shaking the OP and others that posted are hard on the equipment in my opinion........your's sure has seemed to hold up great over a lot of years though.....
Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. After sorting out the information, and re-reading the manual, we had another go with the hydraulic jacks both lowering and raising them. At first, when trying to raise the jacks, as soon as the engine was started, a loud warning buzzer (i.e., a high pitch noise) came on and stayed on until the jacks were up and the HWP system was disabled; then the noise stopped to our great relief. Anyone know what that warning buzzer indicates?

Then when lowering the jacks, used the manual method and that seemed to go great.

Now the next time, I will try the manual method to raise the jacks and hope all goes smoothly !!
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. After sorting out the information, and re-reading the manual, we had another go with the hydraulic jacks both lowering and raising them. At first, when trying to raise the jacks, as soon as the engine was started, a loud warning buzzer (i.e., a high pitch noise) came on and stayed on until the jacks were up and the HWP system was disabled; then the noise stopped to our great relief. Anyone know what that warning buzzer indicates?

Then when lowering the jacks, used the manual method and that seemed to go great.

Now the next time, I will try the manual method to raise the jacks and hope all goes smoothly !!
I am going to guess, it is a alarm wired into the jack circuit ,and it is a "Jack down" alarm.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
...When the air system air's the bags up, the Coach will tend to roll a bit forward, by design when airing up, now, if like mine, the rear bags start to air up first, leaving the front jacks on the ground still.......and with the Coach rolling forward during this process. the jacks are getting a tremendous amount of pressure pushing the Coach forward while a lot of weight is still on the jack's, making all kinds of bad noises........ skidding them across the ground.....Bad. ...
EXCELLENT synopsis.

We learned that at the Spartan owners course. I don't recall that the rears come up by design though but still...that doesn't mean that ain't true. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
EXCELLENT synopsis.

We learned that at the Spartan owners course. I don't recall that the rears come up by design though but still...that doesn't mean that ain't true. LOL
The Coach rolls forward.....by suspension design.......when rising, and "my" rear end comes up first.....when airing up If that makes sense Don......
Old 01-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The Coach rolls forward.....by suspension design.......when rising, and "my" rear end comes up first.....when airing up If that makes sense Don......
I'm NOT gonna comment on your "rear end".
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm NOT gonna comment on your "rear end".
Thank you Don.......my wife just asked what I was laughing at.......
Old 01-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before starting the engine you need to retract the slides and than lift the jacks with your key in the AUX position. Use AUX to deploy them also.
All jacks work together when you use AUTO-LEVEL if you have it and both side rail jack front and rear will deploy when you do manually.
Here is a link explaining slides and jacks.
You will not hear the jacks down alarm if done this way.
After jacks are retracted start the engine to AIR-UP your bags while disconnecting electric and water lines.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Below in my signature there are links to more info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Glad I found this thread. I was hearing the same loud popping sound. The first time I heard it I just knew something bad had happened. I'll pay more attention to surface the next time I hear it to see if it differs any.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks