Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Hydralift or Rampage motorcycle lift??

We full time and I Want to bring a Goldwing along for the trips. Our Essex can easily support the weight on the rear so a Hydralft is an option but a new car is in our future so we could also go with the Rampage lift in the rear of a pickup. I know this has been discussed and have read everything I can find but still can not make up my mind so please help me. If you use one or the other tell me the pros and cons. Also if you started with one but changed to the other I would really like to know.

Thanks for all responses

Enjoy the journey!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

Don't get the Hydra lift. Nothing but problems from leaking hydraulic fluid to bad pump and the garage is a total waste. The guy who runs it on his cell phone is a complete jerk who will blame any problem on you but never on the product. I don't know about the other one but I would go that route.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Rampage looks good. I just use a ramp and try to find a bank or dip to load and unload my bike. I like simple.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
We have a Hydralift on our Essex and have been completely satisfied. Hydralift was very helpful in modifying it to haul our two motorcycles. Previous owners had hauled a trike. Easy to load the motorcycles and secure going down the highways. We have no complaints or issues with the lift or working with Hydralift Mfg.
If you want to see pics let me know and I can send them email to you. Can't seem to get them loaded here.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In progress, we purchased and are having installed the special build Hydralift shown below to transport our Garia 2+2 Via Low Speed Vehicle. We'll also be flat towing a Grand Cherokee behind our Essex.
Click image for larger version

Name:	16836686_1851641425079725_5614151557889826953_o.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	152623
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_104905.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	152624
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd go the truck and Rampage route myself. I know that your unit has the weight capacity but just cant see adding all that weight to the rear axles, just more wear and tear on components/frame/tires/etc. Get a nice crew cab p/u.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
We full time and I Want to bring a Goldwing along for the trips. Our Essex can easily support the weight on the rear so a Hydralft is an option but a new car is in our future so we could also go with the Rampage lift in the rear of a pickup. I know this has been discussed and have read everything I can find but still can not make up my mind so please help me. If you use one or the other tell me the pros and cons. Also if you started with one but changed to the other I would really like to know.

Thanks for all responses

Enjoy the journey!!
Hydralift was our choice. It's a solid solution and folds up out of the way when were not using.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post

Thanks for all responses

Enjoy the journey!!
I've been using the reampage lift for 4 years now and it is amazing. I have a Harley ultra classic that weighs just over 600lb And also have a 85 FXRS that is much lighter. At 71 i find the FXRS much easer to move around and that is the bike we usually take. There are times when the ultra goes because we will be putting on some miles.

The biggest challenge with the rampage lift is getting the proper tension on the chock tie downs so not to bottom out the suspension yet enough to secure into the chock. It will take some practice. I have two sets of straps, one for each bike that are PERMANENTLY set once i got it right. Once the bike is secure in the chock the rest is easy peasy.

I store mine when not in use on top of my harbor freight motorcycle repair lift. This puts the rampage at the correct height to slide off and on into the truck. There are 4 bolts that secure the rampage to the truck bed and are easily removed.With the rampage stored ontop of the HF it goes against the wall, a piece of plywood on that and i have a bench so both lifts don't take up unused space.

bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. Anyone have one and then change to the other??

Take care
Trapper2022 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

Maybe Fireup will respond-- he had a Hydralift and went to a Rampage.
I have been using a Rampage for 5 years now. First in a Ford Ranger and now in a F-150 . I built a cart to keep it on when it's not in the truck. It's a 5-10 minute job to install or remove it from the truck .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Surprised I'm the first to chime in from the Cruiserlift crowd. Didn't like the hydraulic aspects of the Hydralift and had some friends that had the electric lift and it worked well so that's the route we went. Take my comments lightly as I don't have much time using it.

Because we also have another bike in our tow, we needed to go this way, if you're only needing to travel with one bike, I would be hard pressed not to consider the Rampage. From my perspective;

Coach Lift (either hyd or elec)
Pros
Where ever you park, your tow can be used without also having a bike in the back. There are many stops where we don't offload the bike in the tow, so its always in the back of the truck. Bothers me a bit for security purposes.

You wouldn't need an expensive Truck as a tow.

Cons
Gets dirty unless you have a way to effectively cover it. Covering the bike on a Rampage set up would be easier.

With the bike mounted sideways, the dips and bumps do weird things. A bike travels better when in line with the direction of travel.

Rampage
Pros
Bike travels better. While I believe my lift is strong enough, and installed well, there are many dips and bumps that make me cringe when I see it bouncing around. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues, but it still unnerves me. The bike would ride better in a Rampage.

Bike may not get as dirty if its left uncovered.

Cons
As indicated above, when you stop for the night, and just want to use your tow to make an errand, the bike is there. Security is a concern if its always in the back of the truck.

Even with the bike out, you have the Rampage in the bed, thereby reducing the capability of having a truck.

Randy
Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #12

Randy
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #13

Nothing useful to add except my 2 cents on what I have been looking at for my Kawasaki Versys. The Rampage means you are stuck with a truck as your toad. And you always have to have it with you. A lift gives you the option of choosing any towable vehicle, truck or car, and you can leave it behind if you just want to take the RV and bike for a trip. As I have a wheelchair lift on the car (for my wife, not me) the truck is not an option so my choice is easy. Good luck with your thought process!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I've been using the reampage lift for 4 years now and it is amazing. I have a Harley ultra classic that weighs just over 600lb And also have a 85 FXRS that is much lighter. At 71 i find the FXRS much easer to move around and that is the bike we usually take. There are times when the ultra goes because we will be putting on some miles.

The biggest challenge with the rampage lift is getting the proper tension on the chock tie downs so not to bottom out the suspension yet enough to secure into the chock. It will take some practice. I have two sets of straps, one for each bike that are PERMANENTLY set once i got it right. Once the bike is secure in the chock the rest is easy peasy.

I store mine when not in use on top of my harbor freight motorcycle repair lift. This puts the rampage at the correct height to slide off and on into the truck. There are 4 bolts that secure the rampage to the truck bed and are easily removed.With the rampage stored ontop of the HF it goes against the wall, a piece of plywood on that and i have a bench so both lifts don't take up unused space.

Just over 600 pounds for a ultra , what year is it? I wish mine was that light 2014 @ 850 plus pounds.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote