Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #1

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm curious about how much Boiler Anti-freeze is generally used. I am not a full timer but use the coach quite often. (probably 1/2 time
I have used 1 gallon of Anti-freeze in 14 months. I typically use electric for water heating and diesel for furnace and extra hot water. Temperatures are usually above 45 degrees. Your comments are appreciated
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I'm curious about how much Boiler Anti-freeze is generally used. I am not a full timer but use the coach quite often. (probably 1/2 time
I have used 1 gallon of Anti-freeze in 14 months. I typically use electric for water heating and diesel for furnace and extra hot water. Temperatures are usually above 45 degrees. Your comments are appreciated
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #3

I was always adding to the overflow until I got the rig in for service. Tom Shaffer's RV did a pressure test and fixed a small leak (I could not see it) under warranty. I have not had any loss of fluid in the 7 - 8 months since then and we use our system everyday (a mix of diesel burner when moving and electric when stopped).

It will be interesting to hear if others have to keep topping off their systems.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #4

I have not yet and it appears full. Mind you I've only had my rig since Sept. 1/06. Also mine uses a Beckley pump as it is CSA Canadian rating.

Peter
Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
cwg

Relatively new unit only four months old and although using the Hydrohot for some heat and water heating on occasion, the fluid level has never changed. I purchased an extra gallon of antifreeze as suggested by techs, but have not needed to open it yet.

My issue was the odor of diesel in the basement area coming from the boiler which fortunately seems to be diminishing. Either that or my nose is beginning to get used to it!
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #6

Hi! We purchased our unit in Aug. We are still at the same level. It has had quite a bit of use, especially now that is being used in NJ to heat the coach. Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The HydroHot is a sealed system. The antifreeze expands with heat so there will be some difference between the full cold level and the full hot level but otherwise it should not go down unless you have a leak. The exception to this is on a new system or one that was recently serviced. In that case it's possible that an air lock may have been in the system and once it was purged the level dropped. But that should not continue once it's purged.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #8

I have been looking for the boiler type antifreeze for the hydrohot system without success. I went to two RV supply centers today and neither one stocks the P.G. based solution. Does anyone know where I can find this? We are currently in Palmetto FL. Thanks.

Mike McEvoy

2004 MADP 4301
kymacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
In 04 Newmar used anti-freeze that was red in color, not sure if it is still red. Anyway, on our PDI the dealer tech said we could use regular RV anti-freeze that you could by at Wal-mart. WRONG!! We kept having leaks in ours and the dealer kept it filled. Our overflow tank never read the same twice. When we were at Nappanee I was talking to our techs working on the coach and asked them and they said no it was a special boiler liquid. I can't remember for sure. All I know is that you won't see it much down south. It actually heats up and is circulated to provide the zone heat.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #10

I recently purchased a few gallons of No Burst boiler antifreeze at a local plumbing supply. It is used in residential hydronic heating systems.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 AM   #11

Our coach was new in August and we've added no anti-freeze. We bought 2 gallons of coolant at Cummins in Tampa.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #12

Thanks Jerry - I will check it out.

2004 MADP 4301
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #13

Thanks John - I am checking with Grainger tomorrow.

2004 MADP 4301
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #14

Thanks Road Pilot - I think I have found it at Grainger - going there Thursday morning - it's closer than Tampa.

2004 MADP 4301