RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #1

It is getting cold in NM and my zone 2 heat vents seem to be blowing only cool air. Zone 1 works fine and the underneath works fine. The panel seems to indicate all is well. Has anyone had this problem and is thee a fix or repair I should look to get done? ANt help would be warmly appreciated.
WFDO2 L-7264-F

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #2

It is getting cold in NM and my zone 2 heat vents seem to be blowing only cool air. Zone 1 works fine and the underneath works fine. The panel seems to indicate all is well. Has anyone had this problem and is thee a fix or repair I should look to get done? ANt help would be warmly appreciated.
WFDO2 L-7264-F

Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

New member with a Hydrohot issue....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
wfdo2 welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum
Go to "FIND" just above you and type in "hydrohot" you will find 48 posts on the subject I can remember someone with your same problem it should be there look for most recent posts. Take off the check mark in block also.
I can make you a member of this forum just for the asking.
Enjoy the forums and post often and tell your friends about irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2

Well, it sounds like your thermostat is working fine. The HydroHot boiler will kick in to keep the boiler antifreeze at the proper temperature, if it get's hot enough the boiler shuts down until it cools down, then kicks in again. Your thermostat only controls the circulating pumps and solenoid valves that direct where to send the hot boiler antifreeze to, not the boiler itself.

Because your zone 1 is working fine, that pretty much rules out a failure of the boiler to create heat. But, the thermostat sends it's heating requests to the HydroHot to open the appropriate solenoid valve for that zone so that the hot antifreeze can circulate to those heat exchangers. Your zone 2 is blowing cold air. This means that the thermostat is sending it a request for heating and turning on the blower fan at that heat exchanger. If the antifreeze is too cold, because the boiler hasn't heated it up enough yet, then the low temp cutoff valve will keep the solenoid valves from opening until the antifreeze gets hot enough. This is to keep from blowing cold air.

Therefore I'd predict that you have an issue with the circulating pump or the solenoid valve for that zone.

If you want to troubleshoot this further yourself you can view the troubleshooting chart in the HydroHot Shop Service Manual at the following link: RV Tech Library. If not, I'd suggest taking it in for service.

I hope this helps you somewhat.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #6

I had the exact same problem early this year. Turn all zones on by raising the temp. set points. Remove the outside HH front panel. You'll see 3 small pumps. Right downstream of each pump is a check valve. If you see all the pumps running feel the discharge lines. The cold one has a stuck check valve. Tap it with a wrench and check the discharge line again. Should get hot real quick. Worked for me, hope it does for you.

John 2005 4502 Essex, Destin, Fl
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When working around those pumps be careful if moving piping to pumps its stiff and the connections to pump can snap off pipe fitting on housing of pump.
Could be just a hairline crack but fluid will start to drip out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Cruzer - it sounds as though the solenoid-controlled valve for Zone 2 is not opening on command. Most likely cause is a disconnected wire for that zone or a failed solenoid/valve. A far less likely possibility is that the controller has failed for that zone only.

If you can find the zone valve, it should be possible to test it. I don't know Hydro Hot details, but it seems likely it is a 12V powered solenoid and valve, so you could check for power and also jump it to see if it opens.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote