Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Unhappy Hydro-Hot to Oasis conversion?

Our 15 year old Hydro-Hot HHE-500-08M has been slowly leaking coolant from the water jacket, but it's getting more pronounced. It has served us well for 15 years, but obviously a total replacement is called for before the leak becomes catastrophic. I'm investigating the cost of having it removed and replaced with a current Oasis. Has anyone gone down this road?

We've gotten a detailed quote from the Newmar factory that is as much as a small car, including 95 hours labor. As we painfully contemplate this I'd like to hear from others who have had a similar conversion done.

Thanks, John.
johnhnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Did you look into finding a used, direct replacement at a RV salvage yard?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

An interesting idea, although this model H-H was superseded by a different model years ago. The likelihood of finding one in good shape is low, but just might be an option. I'd feel a lot more confident in a true upgrade.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

You sure it isn't your radiator cap leaking?
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The last place I would have an installation done on an older coach is Newmar. 95 ours is outrageous! The system and plumbing is already there.

I would find an RV Tech that specializes in both units Aqua Hot and Oasis and have them do the swap. You may find it even easier to just have a newer version of the HH or AH installed since it's typically plumbed and sized the same way.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #6

The Aqua Hot 450D is probably a drop in replacement. If I needed a new system, I would start looking there.

My preferred installer would be this guy.

https://heatmyrv.com/
Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #7

Have you had it removed and benched checked? If the tank is not shot, and some tanks do fail, you might find you only need to do some maintenance replacement items. Our 04 Allure with the same basic HydroHot, did develop a small leak, and we found that a nylon/plastic threaded sleeve for the temperature sensor, was leaking.

While we had it out, we replaced all of the threaded sleeves going into the tank with metal ones. We also replaced the plastic level float with metal, and the heat element too. Finally, we had a AquaHot 450 (And yes, as close to identical as can be with the HydroHot.) insulation kit installed. It's made a difference on the sound inside of the coach from noise.

At the same time we had our unit rebuilt, a gent was doing the same thing with his few years newer AH450. But he had a ruptured seam in his tank, requiring a rebuilt one. (We both looked at both of our units basically side by side on the bench. The AH's tank was corroded out from the inside. He speculates the gent he bought the coach from, had not kept the proper balance of boiler fluid, and thus the corrosion.

You may find that after replacing all of the nylon/plastic sleeves, and leveler float and heating element, adding the insulation blanket - that you'll get another 10-15 years of normal maintenance out of your system.

One last tip if you got that route. Pay the extra hour of shop rate for them to drain and flush your coach hose loops to heat registers, and engine loop too (If you have one on your setup.) - this way you start with a cleaned out an flushed set of registers, hoses, and tank - with all new fluids...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The last place I would have an installation done on an older coach is Newmar. 95 ours is outrageous! The system and plumbing is already there.
From looking at Newmar's quotes posted for any type of repair / maintenance...they are killing it in the Service department. Full, many bays and high quotes.

I havent looked at Oasis plumbing as I have a HydroHot in my older rig. But, I assume it's all the same. I bet it could be done in less than a day if so.
95 hours...crazy.

Does that include replacing the registers in each room? Do they even need to be replaced for Oasis? Even then, they are easy to do. Just disconnect and blow air through the lines to drain, and replace the registers.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #9

Great suggestions so far. Thanks, everyone.

Smitty, can you tell us who did your rebuild? It sounds as if they did a thorough job. That may just be a good way to go in our case.

John
Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Yes, John Carillo is the best, but you can say the same thing about this guy. This guy, solved my problem, new Rad Cap, and it was only a $81.00 item. (Lloyd DeGerald, 501-258-8426, Paron, Ark.)
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, when we bought alpine in 08, the HH did not give us hot water, WRV was gone and dealer wanted us in the same boat, gone. So we found this fellow, and he spent hours figuring out it was the mixing valve, which he and I changed during a one day marathon in FL. This was in 2010, subsequently I have randomly stayed in touch with him, don't know if he is still doing HH, but he is one of their master certified repair guys, excellent. Now with that said, I would not put in a unit out of a wrecked MH, you don't know the forces it was exposed too in the wreck, or how it was taken care of before the wreck. The space is there for the newest model, in fact they take up less space than the older ones - see this link - 450D – Aqua-Hot TribridHotTM RV Heating -
get Lou to order it, he might pass along his discount, if you can, agree to help him with install, saves on labor. His phone number was: 541-490-6357, last I knew lived in FL, near Ft Meyers. Text that number and see what you get, tell Him Monty said for you to call. He also might be retired, and still keeping his hand in. I would wager good beer, he is the best there is on HH. Stay with what you have, it's easier in the long run, and I have been to HH school, they make good stuff.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

The Oasis I have heard are too loud in new units
….Just my 2
Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I believe the floor registers are louder than the alpine we had, but I don't care, it's heat, which the alpine did not have in abundance, the Oasis seems to be able to heat quite well, and that is more important than noise. I froze almost to death in South ATL one time when huge wind and -7F at night. So heat way more important than noise. JM2CW.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydro-hot, oasis