Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

It is getting cold in Cleveland and my MH is parked outside, winterized and plugged in for the winter. While is not in use, I am keeping the interior at approximately 55 degrees using oil filled space heaters and my hydro hot system. In an effort to keep the basement and water/utility area at around 50 degrees, I have set the interior heat (hydro hot) thermostat at 55 degrees and the utility/water compartment thermostat at 50 degrees. The diesel burner switch is on. Since the space heaters are keeping the interior above 55 degrees the interior hydro hot system rarely runs and the lower utility/water compartment is not maintaining 50 degrees. Is this because the interior thermostats are not calling for much heat and not activating the diesel burner? Does the utility /water compartment thermostat and heating system only work when the interior system is being heated?

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

It is getting cold in Cleveland and my MH is parked outside, winterized and plugged in for the winter. While is not in use, I am keeping the interior at approximately 55 degrees using oil filled space heaters and my hydro hot system. In an effort to keep the basement and water/utility area at around 50 degrees, I have set the interior heat (hydro hot) thermostat at 55 degrees and the utility/water compartment thermostat at 50 degrees. The diesel burner switch is on. Since the space heaters are keeping the interior above 55 degrees the interior hydro hot system rarely runs and the lower utility/water compartment is not maintaining 50 degrees. Is this because the interior thermostats are not calling for much heat and not activating the diesel burner? Does the utility /water compartment thermostat and heating system only work when the interior system is being heated?

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

Jerry...I think ours works with a small Hydrohot heat exchanger in the water bay..I think I remember seeing fins on the heater in that bay...Do you have enough amps to put a small electric cube heater in it?
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #4

jerry: Is there a reason you winterized AND keep the temps up inside the unit?

I am guessing that in the MA the bsmt zone is part of HH zone 3 inside. Hence, that zone must be set to furnace to be "on.". I also think the MA bsmt thermostat will trigger the HH to heat (in addition to the interior zone 3 thermostat triggering HH heat) and that as long as that zone is "on" either of the thermostats will trigger the respective heat to come on. I'd make sure all zones are set to furnace and a low temp.

I had a faulty water bay thermostat in my unit and it would not run unless I cranked it fully up - no matter what the temp in the bay was. Have you checked your water bay thermostat for proper operation?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #5

I keep the interior heated to minimize humidity and moisture. I suspect that the water bay zone is tied to one of the interior zones and only works when the interior thermostat is set to furnace. Although the HH control panel shows 5 zones, I have only seen 2 zones with green lights on while the HH is running. I do not know how to identify all 5 zones, if I in fact have 5 zones. I have heat ducts located: in the front (under the front console), under the refrigerator, bathroom vanity and rear bedroom and water bay. I will be checking out the entire system later this week.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #6

Jerry...you only have 2 zones as identified by your T stat..zone 1 is front and zone 2 is rear..I dont know which zone your water bay is tied to but doubt it has its own zone..just not sure...just move SOUTH and dont worry about it
Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have a DSDP and the 3rd zone control is in the wet bay. It is a knob you manually turn to the desired temp. I keep it at 50 when cold weather camping.

Not sure if it is the same in the MADP or is the knob located somewhere else that hasn't been noticed yet?
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #8

jerry. In the EX the bay unit is tied to interior zone3. Don't look at the "pump" lights on the panel by the HH. That bay thermostat is tied to one of the interior zone thermostats and is not a zone (or HH pump) all by itself.

Try running a test to find the zone the bay is tied to. Pick a nice cold day. Leave the water bay door open. In the water bay crank up the dial for the bay heat. Turn on the diesel button for the HH and get it up to temp. Then set zone1 to furnace and crank up the temp. When the interior fans go on head out to the bay and see if that unit is on. If not turn off zone1 and turn on zone2 and repeat. Once that bay unit turns on you know which interior zone it is tied to. Drop all the interior temps (leaving that zone set to furnace) and crank up the bay to make sure it goes on. Drop the bay back to 50'ish (that dial isn't going to very accurate) and you are all set.
Good luck...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #9

What Jeff said...out of curiosity today I took off my HH cover and there are only 2 pumps, so one of them covers the wet bay...betcha its zone two (rear)
Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

Larry, I agree, the basement unit does not have it's own circulation pump, it share one of the 2, 3 or 4 zones depending on the coach make and model. However the basement thermostat will dive both the pump and local fan. This also circulates the glycol through the zone upstairs too, but do not support powering of that units fan.

On another point, Larry, that bug running around "bugs" me. I always try to move your posts just out of site to avoid it being seen.
Does this bug anyone else? Please no offence Larry. Maybe it's just me. I thought I would bring it up, I can live with it, but would prefer not to.

Peter
Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #11

Hi Nut....You must live up Nawth...bugs make me feel right at home!!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #12

Oh yeh, Larry, I sure do live north and right now I'm wondering why the h*** I'm here now. It's in the teens for temperature and we got about 6" of, now cold frozen snow. Hum Bug!
Can't wait to head to my appointment at Newmar for the 7 th of Jan, and then head south to Florida. I'ld like to leave yesterday, but, I don't want to have to drive north again for my Newmar thing.

Peter
Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some times they have cancelations maybe you can put your name in for one of them. I had a cancelled one after Easter one year. Trouble is the plant will shut down soon for Holidays.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #14

I called today and was able to get an appointment for next week. Could have had an appointemnt for Monday 3 Dec. Could not get to Newmar that fast due to work.
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote