Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Hydrohot intermittent firing

Our Hydrohot had been acting a little strange this year. Not firing smoking at times and then it would work perfectly fine. Really started acting up when we were at around 8,000 feet and I attributed it to high altitude. Opened intake and it worked fine for awhile but every once in awhile would not start. Blower runs but no burning. Got home set intake back to normal and it fired right up every time.
This weekend it started acting up again, would run fine then would not start. If it did fire lots smoke from the times it would not fire.
At this point I knew something just was not right. Started troubleshooting checking voltages. Verifying coil is firing, solenoid opening etc. Same as before sometimes it was right other times it was not. Then I finally got it at a point of not firing and checked voltages at coil. Nothing, solenoid not opening either. Tapped solenoid and it took off. That ended up being a coincidence, next time it was stuck in the start mode, tapped the Webasto controller and it took off running. Tried it again and sure enough the controller was the problem.
At this point I started looking at options to repair, brand new controller was over $800, I could send it off to have rebuilt for $350. Both expensive options so I said what the heck lets pop the cover and take a look. This was after finding a thread where someone else also opened theirs up.
This fix may not be for everyone but thought I would share with those that may want or need to tackle in the future.
Opening up is not to hard. The top plastic part is held by some retention bumps on the side. A wide flat piece of aluminum and a couple taps on each side popped it open.
This is after removing from the burner. It just slides out the back. Do not make the mistake I did and remove the bracket around the box. This is not required.
Once the top is off the Controller board slides out. This is an old school analog controller with many through hole devices, resistors, diodes couple transistors, capacitors and the control relays.
First was inspecting the solder joints I had read some of these were not quite up to snuff and may need touched up. They all looked good.
Second inspect the devices for blown , burnt or leaking capacitors. They all looked good.
Third inspect relay contacts. These were dirty and pitted some with this condition intermittent problems were a possibility. These were cleaned with a very fine crocus cloth. Then cleaned with contact cleaner.
Then put it back together and see if it works. Immediately noticed a difference, I could clearly hear the relays click, solenoid click and it started immediately without hesitation. I have done this several more times and all with same result. I will continue to test but think this may be good to a while longer. Next time I know what to do if it starts acting up. Cost $0.
Webasto Controller
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	167970
End Cover removed

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	167971
PCB layout with all the components. There are 4 SPST relays and one DPST relay. 6 sets of contacts that required cleaning.

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	167972
Back side solder joints. I had read where others thought the board got hot and discoloration of the board. The coating on the back makes it look burnt but it is not. It is only the coating pooling in areas.

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	167974
And this is one of the contacts on the relays.

Name:	IMG_3073.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	167975
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nice work as usual Steve. (thanks for the pics) mine was acting up last summer (white smoke), turns out it was the fuel nozzle.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
After running leaving the diesel burner switch on for roughly 36 hours last weekend. It failed again, fuel was spraying but not igniting. The flame sensor was supposed to see no flame and put system in a fault mode. This did not happen so had about 1/2 cup diesel leak out the exhaust. This worried me so thought it best to just replace the control box.
Spent some time searching and found a new control box for ~$550. This was better than the $840 + numbers I had found earlier. The new box is now a plastic enclosure and not the aluminum box. This was installed last week and I ran it off an on through the week and let it stay on all weekend. Worked perfectly, firing and shutting down like it should.