RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Hydronic Zone Heating

We're still on the hunt for our Ventana and have a question about the Hydronic Zone Heating that is standard on at least the 2011 Ventana. The "standard options" list: Propane Hydronic Zone Heating System with Continuous Hot Water*. The * means to check with the dealer. But under options it lists: Hydronic Zone Propane Heating System*. They sort of sound like the same thing and both use propane.

We've investigated a '11 Ventana and we told it did not have propane for anything on board. My question is would Newmar have installed the diesel fueled heating system for a custom order? The people that have it for sale aren't the original owners and just knew it didn't have propane.

Also, if we could get the VIN number for any unit we might be interested in, would Newmar give us the build sheet since we aren't the owners?

Does anyone know when this type of heating system became standard in the Ventana?

Also, what year was Comfort Drive born? That's pretty much a must have and don't want to extend my search past the year it was introduced. AND... one more question (for now): have there been problems with the CD in the first year or so since it has been used? I know lots of times things look great on paper & work under controlled circumstances then when it gets a true work out, problems surface.

We're zeroing in on a list of what we would like to have in a coach. Actually 2 lists... the MUST HAVE and the NICE TO HAVE. Under the MUST HAVE is a 3433 or 3434 & with Comfort Drive. I'm not sure we'll find one with both lists though but we're flexible!

Thanks!

KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're still on the hunt for our Ventana and have a question about the Hydronic Zone Heating that is standard on at least the 2011 Ventana. The "standard options" list: Propane Hydronic Zone Heating System with Continuous Hot Water*. The * means to check with the dealer. But under options it lists: Hydronic Zone Propane Heating System*. They sort of sound like the same thing and both use propane.

The heat and hot water are 2 different systems even with Hydronic Zone. If this is a repeat forgive me. Hydronic heat is made by using hot anti-freeze circulating through individual heater cores with a fan behind it. So essentially it's a forced moist hot air system. The hot water is a loop of fresh water that runs through the burner to give you unlimited hot water.

We've investigated a '11 Ventana and we told it did not have propane for anything on board. My question is would Newmar have installed the diesel fueled heating system for a custom order? The people that have it for sale aren't the original owners and just knew it didn't have propane.

With Newmar anything is possible, and IMHO I'd prefer to run the system with diesel. I read somewhere that you get more BTU's per gallon from diesel verses propane.

Also, if we could get the VIN number for any unit we might be interested in, would Newmar give us the build sheet since we aren't the owners?

Not sure of the "build sheet" but they will answer any questions about the factory installed options and any recalls that are on it.

Does anyone know when this type of heating system became standard in the Ventana?
Hydronic zone allowes a central heating furnace and individual zones in the coach, usually 2 zones. Also as stated earlier it can make hot water, and it can be run on different fuels, i.e. propane in a gas coach or diesel fuel coming out of the coaches main tank.

Also, what year was Comfort Drive born? That's pretty much a must have and don't want to extend my search past the year it was introduced. AND... one more question (for now): have there been problems with the CD in the first year or so since it has been used? I know lots of times things look great on paper & work under controlled circumstances then when it gets a true work out, problems surface.

It was brought out in phases with Ventana's leading the way. The CD system is very reliable and makes a long day behind the wheel less taxing. The gentleman that engineered the CD is on this forum and is VERY helpful if someone thinks they have a problem. I'm not going to post his name without his permission, but if you look up other threads IRT CD you'll probably figure it out.

We're zeroing in on a list of what we would like to have in a coach. Actually 2 lists... the MUST HAVE and the NICE TO HAVE. Under the MUST HAVE is a 3433 or 3434 & with Comfort Drive. I'm not sure we'll find one with both lists though but we're flexible!

Thanks!
Hope this in some small way helps and good luck with your search.

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Something to put on your "nice to have list" that I thought was foolish at first but we got in our Dutch Star is a dishwasher. We use it all the time and it hides when you do not want to clean right away. Also, and you probably know, a washer/dryer unit - once you have one is a "must have". Good luck and have fun.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #4

Thanks harleychief. This hydronic stuff is something we've not had to worry about since we've always had a water heater & noisy furnace that uses propane. Thanks to iRV2, we've learned a LOT and having the diesel fueled system does seem the best idea. Even a hydronic propane system seems like it would be better than what we've been used to.

IF we are able to make the jump from our G'town to the Ventana, I think it will feel like jumping from a horse & carriage to a jet in the number & complexity of systems!

MCJones, I was skeptical of the washer & dryer being all that useful but once again, iRV2 has "enlightened" me. It seems the majority of those that have a W/D really do like them and I can see where I would probably use them on our long trips. A washer/dryer is on my Nice-to-Have List! We're limited to 34-36' for the length of coach because of our driveway and garage. I doubt that there would be room for another dishwasher other than me but sure wouldn't be opposed to one!

I guess I could just call Newmar and ask about getting information for any coach we're interested in. All they can say is no.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

I believe comfort drive was "born" in 2007 for Essex and above, and then rolled out to dutchstar, Ventana, as well in 2008. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will correct me :-)

You asked about the "first year" for comfort drive. I believe the only difference between the first and later models is the later models incorporate a little knob to adjust the "feel" to suit user preference.....the first model had the "feel" permanently set at the "middle" setting.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

I have a 2011 Ventana. In that year, the CD was present on all Ventanas, but not the Ventana LE. I think that has changed, and now they all have it. I have the diesel Oasis hydronic system. It added quite a bit to the sticker price, and I had no knowledge or interest in it, but the rest of the coach was exactly what we wanted, so we went with it. Boy am I glad we did. This is my 5th RV and I am very pleased with the hot water & heat production. Not having to search for propane in the winter is also nice. My cooktop and fridge are the only things that use propane. The coach had a full tank of propane when it was delivered 3 years ago. I have never had to fill it and still have 3/4 of a tank. On my previous MH the genny ran on propane, and we would always be searching for propane every 2-3 days in the summer months. I think our next coach will be all electric, but I know it will have a diesel hydronic.

hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating