Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

I 10 bridge

Amy one been east in I10 from Houston to LA? what is the best way to go?
texskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #2

I'm thinking LA is WEST of Houston, but I may be wrong.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Depends - LA could be Los Angeles. Or it could be Louisiana.
bradford3454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

If not stopping in New Orleans then you want to take I-12 through that area; not I-10.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe LA, Lower Alabama
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texskeet View Post
Amy one been east in I10 from Houston to LA? what is the best way to go?
I10 bridge, east of Houston.... That would be the bridge in Lake Charles. I happen to be in Sulphur, which is just before the bridge coming from the Houston side. Between the hours of 4:00 and 6:30 pm on weekdays, stop in Sulphur to eat, and don't get in a hurry. It will take you a really long time to get over either the I10 or I210 bridges at that time. The bridges clear up by 6:30ish and you can be on your way. If you get there around 4:00, it's a bit of a crap shoot. If you're lucky, you'll get there before the traffic and can cruise along at about 70 mph all the way through Lake Charles and on to wherever you're headed. If traffic is a little early that day, you might be going 5 mph for a few miles. During the weekends or other times during the week, just stay on I10. It might slow down a little but shouldn't be terrible.

You can bypass all that traffic by going down some really small roads with construction that I wouldn't recommend using in anything bigger than a pickup truck. You can bypass most of the traffic by taking highway 90 through Sulphur and then merging with I10 at the base of the bridge. Traffic flows fine once you actually make it onto the bridge. To get to 90, take the second exit in Sulphur (Highway 27/Beglis Parkway) and go left. There will be a light at the exit, then another one on the other side of the overpass, then one at Maplewood Avenue (Kroger on left and CVS on right), then one at a gas station and Mike Willis Ford dealership (Not Billy Navarre Chevy), then the next light is highway 90. Turn right and just stay on that road until it merges with I10. (Stay in the left lane. Right lane must turn a few times.) Don't try to take the first exit in Sulphur. That right turn onto highway 90 is brutal if you're not familiar with it.

If you're looking for places to stop and eat, I can suggest a few. I grew up in the Lake Charles/Sulphur area. When are you planning on heading through, and what kind of food do you like?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Everything itchytoe said and then if you are going further east, about 20 miles east of Lafayette, you will come to the Atchafalaya (sp?) causeway bridge that runs for twenty plus miles and ends about 15 miles west of Baton Rouge. Your next bottleneck is the I-10 bridge over the Mississippi River just west of Baton Rouge. Stay in the middle lane as the left lane gets forced into downtown BR and the right lane gives you a tour of the LSU campus. Don’t even think about doing this on a Saturday when LSU is playing at home.

Once you are clear of the bridge, it’s pretty clear sailing to the State line. As others have said, when I-12 splits off from I-10, take I-12 unless your destination is New Orleans.

Many of the miles you will be traveling will be on really bumpy roads. Good Luck and stay safe.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #8

The OP may also be referring to the bridge over the ship channel, just east of Houston, which was hit by a barge in the recent storms. they now have two way traffic on one span of the bridge, so it is causing bottlenecks.
I have just come back from a trip to Louisiana from Houston, and I recommend taking highway 90 from East loop to Beaumont. After that apart from the road works around the state line and in Lafayette, the I-10 is OK. There is usually always traffic in Baton Rouge, so expect a slow down there.
And I second taking I-12 if you are not going to the N.O. area.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #9

I've driven the ship channel stretch on the east end of Houston several times in the last few weeks. Nothing to worry about, 4 lanes instead of 6, just a minor slowdown if you avoid rush hour.

However, there is construction on I10 for 20 miles or so around Winnie between Houston and Beaumont that I would avoid in my coach. Very narrow lanes, poor drainage, mud on the road, dump trucks, etc. Highway 90 through Liberty is an ok option. Some of it is 2 lane highway, most is 4 lane. Maybe 5 or 6 small towns where the speed limit drops and 3 or 4 towns with traffic lights. Pick your poison. I would take my time and take highway 90.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Many of the miles you will be traveling will be on really bumpy roads
You have the gift of understatement, sir. That road will knock fillings out of your teeth.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are headed a bit more north of Houston, Hwy 105 runs from Somerville east through Conroe and comes in just north of Beaumont on Hwy 69. A few small towns and otherwise a nice easy drive on good roads. Just made the drive from Beaumont to Hwy 146 and up to Livingston. Nice drive.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Since there are those with experience travelling the Texas-Louisiana route, and I happen to need to drive that in the morning tomorrow, I'd like an opinion. I find I10 in Louisiana to be very poor road. I'm headed from Pensacola to Fort Hood.

I'm thinking of taking I10 to Beaumont, then getting on 90 West. I'll take that to Highway 8 / Sam Houston Tollway and avoid driving through Houston and all that construction. I'll get on 290 and head up to Temple and thus on to Fort Hood.

Any thoughts on that route? I surely appreciate it!
Old 10-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post
Since there are those with experience travelling the Texas-Louisiana route, and I happen to need to drive that in the morning tomorrow, I'd like an opinion. I find I10 in Louisiana to be very poor road. I'm headed from Pensacola to Fort Hood.

I'm thinking of taking I10 to Beaumont, then getting on 90 West. I'll take that to Highway 8 / Sam Houston Tollway and avoid driving through Houston and all that construction. I'll get on 290 and head up to Temple and thus on to Fort Hood.

Any thoughts on that route? I surely appreciate it!
I would agree. Once you get to Beltway 8, it is much more convenient if you have a toll tag, otherwise you will have to stop and pay at a couple of toll booths. Without a toll tag, I would go 90 to I10 to 610 North to 290. Happy trails.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I took that route listed earlier in this thread and I must say, I like it a whole lot better than the route I took back in June which was I-10 straight up through the middle of Houston. Highway 90 was very nice not bumpy and it wasn't so bad at all. Regarding the Sam Houston, I didn't have EZ Pay, so I stayed off the toll part of 8 until I had no choice. Even then I only paid $3.50 in cash the one time. It wasn't so bad at all.

To my great pleasure I-10 in Louisiana has been smoothed out a great deal since June and wasn't as bumpy. I-10 on the Texas side however was just as bad as before. Getting on highway 90 in Beaumont kept me off the worst of it in Texas.

I was also pleased to talk to the owners of a forty foot Canyon Star toy hauler at the Flying J in Beaumont. He and his wife were kind enough to take ten minutes and chat with me. I don't see a lot of Canyon Stars and his was both unique and gorgeous.

In all, just a shade under fourteen hours of drive time today, including three fuel stops. That's enough of that for one day.