Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Well--that's news to me. Thanks for then follow up! I'm a bit relieved, because it did seem rather odd to me that both fuels were dispensed via the same pump. But then again, diff gasoline octane levels are too..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
HavingABlast,

Did I miss pics of your new ride and a factory delivery report??

Safe Travels and Enjoy!

Steve

Yep Steve...been sort of tardy with that report and the pics. Thanks for the reminder.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

My thanks to all for your responses. I am slowly crawling up the learning curve.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Not specifically the OP's question, but Pilot stations threw me for a loop the first time I used one when I had to choose between "refer" and "tractor" diesel. Not knowing what they were, I assumed that "tractor" was for farm tractors, which I assumed wouldn't have the same strict EPA standards, and that I should use "refer." But then... what the heck does "refer" mean?

Upon further investigation I learned that "tractor" referred to "tractor-trailers," or what we all think of as "trucks" or "18-wheelers." This is the fuel we should be using in our RV's.

"Refer" is an abbreviation for refrideration, and it is used for trucks that carry refrigerated cargo, like groceries. They have a separate diesel engine that runs the refrigeration. That fuel is died red (I believe) and it is illegal to use that fuel to operate your truck or RV engine. Apparently there are check-stations here and there where they do a dip check and if they detect the red die, you can get a huge fine. The fuel apparently works fine as an over the road diesel fuel, but it is not taxed the same rate, thus the penalty for using it.

My "research" is all online, so I'm happy to hear if I got this right, kinda right, or wrong from anyone who knows more than I do.

You're in the ballpark but one misconception, refer fuel sold at the same pump as on road fuel is the exact same fuel.

The only difference is you are not taxed the same on fuel you purchase for your refer unit. And you are expected to put that untaxed fuel in a separate tank from you main tank. This fuel is not dyed red.

For the most part, fuel that is dyed, is the fuel that is delivered directly to the farmer as off road diesel for his farm equipment or heaters only.

This is the only separation of refer fuel and tractor fuel, as tractor in this case refers to tractor truck, on road fuel.

Dyed fuel is a different blend of fuel in some parts of the country. And is similar to the old #2 diesel, just red now for identification.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuse, fuel