Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #183

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am finding that Google maps is the one I am using more often. Copilot has been very frustrating lately, and Waze features are now mostly incorporated into Google maps.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #184

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am finding that Google maps is the one I am using more often. Copilot has been very frustrating lately, and Waze features are now mostly incorporated into Google maps.
With Google Maps how are you ensuring height, width, weight requirements?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #185

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
With Google Maps how are you ensuring height, width, weight requirements?
Reading signs.

Not trying to be smart here, but tech has failed me so many times. I don't trust it. If I am going to be leaving the highway I look for a sign that says "No Trucks". If that sign exists and I dont know the area, then I do not exit.

I also call ahead to areas that I know could be tricky, like Branson or Hot Springs, and ask the camp ground for the recommended routes. I then use satellite views to verify.

I can, and probably will in another post, tell of many stories where I have made an exit, and had to unhook and turn around and backtrack. All part of the adventure. Most of those were caused by trusting technology and not asking locals for advice.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #186

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You keep picking the wrong tech! I tell ya what. The Garmin 780 is out. Give it a try, I know you’ll love it and it will keep you out of BLDG 42 for a new roof. If you don’t like it I’ll buy it from you.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #187

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You keep picking the wrong tech! I tell ya what. The Garmin 780 is out. Give it a try, I know you’ll love it and it will keep you out of BLDG 42 for a new roof. If you don’t like it I’ll buy it from you.
I have no doubt it will do the job. My issue is I hate dash clutter, dedicated devices, and expensive single purpose electronics.

That said....I know your a tech junkie too, so i will "sleep on it"
Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #188

Newmar Owners Club
All – Think I said some of this earlier, but this thread is now 14 pages and growing.
Ordered the Xite, with the SiriusXM option, and no did not order all the bells and whistles, but I hate wires all over the place for Sat Radio, GPS, Phone Charger, etc. Doing it that way dash area stays uncluttered. (I can be PIA when it comes to stuff I ordered, which says one thing and acts another) so if this radio is as bad as some report, Newmar will replace it, not me, not my dime, period. Someone posted here or another thread, that if you download and install the latest RM map update, lots of these problems disappear. That will be the first thing I do, after, we move out of old MH and into new one, do PDI, get discrepancies fixed, and have beer (shiner bock for me) and catch breath. But most likely to plan trip home, I will do like always and read the Good Sam Rand McNally RV Atlas, if I cannot remember routes we have driven at least 12 times over the last 3 years, when moving from WA to GA. My hearing is no longer 16 years old, so the sound quality won’t much matter unless even full volume, I cannot hear it. Then we have issue. I can BT music from my phone to BT device, if it does not have one, oh well, that is why we listen to SXM. FWIW-Since we are ordering Ventana, the wiring maybe different under the dash, which will preclude some of the issues being experienced by DS and NA owners, since they seem to come with everything including a gold plated WC.

For all of you, when time permits, I will outline and document any and all steps I take to either get it working like it’s supposed to, or report failure and any steps to get it replaced by Newmar. This forum is for the benefit of all, and that is the way I look at it, you help me, I help you, and when we cross paths, we share drinks and friendly conversation, although most of you have more money than I (joke son, I said joke son), so I cannot stay in the Rich places like the Hilton Head Motor Coach Resort, my plan is the Georgia Mountain Campground, watching the fish jump, geese crap all over the place and loud bass boats take off at 5AM for a tournament.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #189
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck with the Xite…..everyone has different needs. When I bought my 2014, it came with the Clarion radio. I intended to replace it almost immediately, but found after a speaker change, it worked well for what I needed. I really liked the GPS function, but the screen was small. I ended up leaving the Clarion radio in my 2014.

What aggravated me about the Xite was the price we paid for a $200.00 radio. It made it even worse that you had to spend a couple of hours downloading new software and updates to keep it from freezing, which it still apparently does.

I know many are comfortable with it, but I wasn't. Another issue was the non adjustable phone volume. When someone would call, I would have to turn the radio WAY up to hear the phone call. The minute the phone call ended, you better be grabbing that volume knob before you got blasted.

To me, the Xite radio is the Magnadyne of 15 years ago. Many companies bought into it and used it, but it was not a great radio.

Again, to each his own, but I feel like I got ripped off by the price Newmar charged. I replaced mine with a Kenwood and sold the Xite.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #190

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
All – Think I said some of this earlier, but this thread is now 14 pages and growing.
Ordered the Xite, with the SiriusXM option, and no did not order all the bells and whistles, but I hate wires all over the place for Sat Radio, GPS, Phone Charger, etc. Doing it that way dash area stays uncluttered. (I can be PIA when it comes to stuff I ordered, which says one thing and acts another) so if this radio is as bad as some report, Newmar will replace it, not me, not my dime, period. Someone posted here or another thread, that if you download and install the latest RM map update, lots of these problems disappear. That will be the first thing I do, after, we move out of old MH and into new one, do PDI, get discrepancies fixed, and have beer (shiner bock for me) and catch breath. But most likely to plan trip home, I will do like always and read the Good Sam Rand McNally RV Atlas, if I cannot remember routes we have driven at least 12 times over the last 3 years, when moving from WA to GA. My hearing is no longer 16 years old, so the sound quality won’t much matter unless even full volume, I cannot hear it. Then we have issue. I can BT music from my phone to BT device, if it does not have one, oh well, that is why we listen to SXM. FWIW-Since we are ordering Ventana, the wiring maybe different under the dash, which will preclude some of the issues being experienced by DS and NA owners, since they seem to come with everything including a gold plated WC.

For all of you, when time permits, I will outline and document any and all steps I take to either get it working like it’s supposed to, or report failure and any steps to get it replaced by Newmar. This forum is for the benefit of all, and that is the way I look at it, you help me, I help you, and when we cross paths, we share drinks and friendly conversation, although most of you have more money than I (joke son, I said joke son), so I cannot stay in the Rich places like the Hilton Head Motor Coach Resort, my plan is the Georgia Mountain Campground, watching the fish jump, geese crap all over the place and loud bass boats take off at 5AM for a tournament.
On dash clutter and sound quality I am right there with you. Just so you know after the update we now have $5000+ good miles on the XITE. I hope you opted for the Omni Vue 360 camera, the smaller display on the Ventana makes it slightly harder to see, but has already save me from some tree and house gutters (another story).
Anyway, like your approach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Ooookay. So, here’s the update that I’m not real thrilled to report.

If you don’t know, I installed an Alpine iLX-107 head unit into my DS. It seemed like a really slick unit because of the wireless CarPlay; the only one to have that feature, BTW. It made sense, since the DS line has the wireless charge pads, and that meant NO WIRES at all...right? Um, well, read on...

BOTTOM LINE... I cannot give my “Gizmo’s Tech-Pick”. And here’s why:

1. First, and foremost, the iPhone XS gets so hot on the chargepad while streaming CarPlay to Google Maps, that IT OVERHEATS AND SHUTS DOWN! This happened within 2 hours.

2. This unit is ONLY WLAN and USB. NO BLUETOOTH INPUT, which leaves you NO other way to stream if you’re using an iPad. What? Yeah, DOH...I JUST realized this yesterday when I finally installed my iPad mini and found out I’m up the creek. My only option, now, is to tether the iPad via USB.

3. The Alpine is a very “needy” unit. When you connect your iPhone to its CarPlay, you can’t connect to another wifi source! THIS IS HUGE!! I just installed my Pepwave and can’t connect to it if my iPhone is connected to CarPlay!! So, not only can I not connect while driving, but I also can’t connect when just hanging around the coach streaming music or whatever!! This, alone, is a deal-breaker.

4. The Alpine is very overpriced for the given features; CarPlay and USB inputs. You can’t install a Sirius module; it must be through your iPhone’s SIRIUS app.

5. I’m an Apple fanatic, for many reasons including enjoying CarPlay. However, in this very specific environment of an “RV”, I’m actually feeling that having a head unit with native apps would be more flexible. Reason being, when parked, we move about; inside, outside, walking back and forth. And having a head unit line Alpine becomes a useless black screen as soon as you walk away. Furthermore, because CarPlay, itself, tends to be very “needy”, once you try to do some with your phone, it quits the active CarPlay application, such as Google Maps. Yes, you’ll still get the audio directions and a notification drop down, but you have no control of anything on the Alpine’s screen. Scenario, you’re doing something on your iPhone like reading emails or looking at this forum. But someone wants to go up and channel the music...nope...can’t!!

Being on the “cutting edge” hurts sometimes, and I’m used to it. In this case, even though I read a lot of reviews, I never found a review like the one I just wrote. Otherwise, there’s no chance I would have dropped $600 on it, even as an experiment. Learn from my experience, and choose another radio.

Thanks for reading.
I am installing the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX this week. It has wireless and wired Apple car play. Hopefully I won't run into the problems you did with the Alpine. I will post the results in a few days. Thanks Steve for the heads up.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #192

I am done with the Xite radio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar JK View Post
I am installing the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX this week. It has wireless and wired Apple car play. Hopefully I won't run into the problems you did with the Alpine. I will post the results in a few days. Thanks Steve for the heads up.

YES JK!! I’ve been a big fan of Pioneer ever since the 70’s and I think I’ve installed more of their’s than any others. PLEASE post your results!!

And folks...can we PLEASE keep this thread relevant to RedBaron’s (OP) subject of “DONE with the XITE radio”?

I know I am gleaning a lot of info regarding REPLACEMENT RADIOS, and imagines others are, as well.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Just to update....I bought the Kenwood WITH NAV. It's the 994S.

I like the Kenwood, but not $1100.00 for the RV model.

OH, shoot, Don...sorry about my error. Yes, now I remember that you DID get the NAV unit, but it was the NON-RV version. That detail got lost in the dust storm (musta been a FL that drove by!! [emoji1787])
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
On dash clutter and sound quality I am right there with you. Just so you know after the update we now have $5000+ good miles on the XITE. I hope you opted for the Omni Vue 360 camera, the smaller display on the Ventana makes it slightly harder to see, but has already save me from some tree and house gutters (another story).
Anyway, like your approach.
Has there been any significant update in the last four months or so? Last time, probably the last time, I used it around Christmas, it was trying to take me down stupid back roads and so sluggish, trying to make any on the fly adjustments was impossible.

What's worse, is when I try and take the time to build a route with waypoints, it still did crazy stuff.

At the moment, I'm using my Xite for 360 monitor and my Garmin 770 for Nav, and the ease of use and quality is night and day.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #195

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I find the RM Nav to be very frustrating. There are times I just can’t figure out how to navigate to the area of the program I need. As far as taking the time to build custom trip, forget it! I also feel ripped of by the price of this piece of crap.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #196

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The Garmin RV 780 is out now. Anyone that gets it let us know how it is. Stuart, if you need me to smuggle one in for you let me know.

Tags
radio