Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by simssj View Post
The problem I have with Garmin is their support / customer service.
I had a great experience with the Garmin GPS, for my boat in fact. Mount kept shorting out and blowing fuses. Sent a replacement and didn't need the old one back. Was easy, no hassle. It all depends who you talk to, day of the week, phase of the moon.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am still working out a few install issues, but here is the final physical install pictures.

Issues I am working out is the amp power control and 360 camera. The camera input is triggered by a 12v sensor. I am going to be installing a toggle switch for power to the amp and another to enable the camera.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_163621.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	230018Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_163659.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	230019
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #59

Nice Install

I am watching your install progress as I too am considering replacement of the Xite unit. Your install looks great and the screen size increase will be a big improvement. Do you have room to move and tilt the screen? Did you ever find documentation of the Xite install. How is the audio from this unit? Please keep us posted, I am sure many will benefit from your research and hard work.

2018 Dutch Star 4018 Freightliner
2019 GMC Canyon Denali
rvdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #60

redbaron, I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't replace the head unit because of it's CAN control of the 360 camera system...did you figure out a workaround? Does the "12 volt sensor" toggle through the camera views?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
redbaron, I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't replace the head unit because of it's CAN control of the 360 camera system...did you figure out a workaround? Does the "12 volt sensor" toggle through the camera views?
There are 2 variants of the 360 system. They have many different names, but to keep it simple, I will use the Newmar names.

DSDP (and VTDP with special order) use the "Omni-Vue™ NS360 Camera System". This system does not use RV-C or CAN for camera control, but rather uses a simple circuit to cycle between views. This single circuit has 2 operating modes. Short press (less than 2 sec) will switch between views for the selected mode. Long Press (2 sec+) will switch modes. The version Newmar delivers has 2 modes

Mode 1: 360 view on the right, and selected camera on the left.
Mode 2: Full Screen for selected camera

The "Omni-Vue NS360" has 4 camera inputs, multiple triggers, and a single video output. This is a composite video signal (Yellow RCA) that is sent to the Xite screen, and viewed when the camera button is selected.

The NADP and higher use the "Xite HD 360 Camera System with Predictive Grid Line" This system is very similar on the camera side, but differs in how the controller selects the signal. I have not seen one, and do not have the manual for this model. This model has been documented by others, and is controlled by RV-C from the XITE head unit.

The primary reason that I am replacing the XITE head unit is the super small screen. The 6in display has a terrible angle, too small to be usable, and I do not like the map interface. I am also adding additional camera's, and want to be able to view all cameras from the head unit. By using trigger events on the steering column, I can instantly call up the roof camera to show clearance of low hanging branches, show the engine belts and accessories, or view any of the 7 camera's built on the coach.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdivers View Post
I am watching your install progress as I too am considering replacement of the Xite unit. Your install looks great and the screen size increase will be a big improvement. Do you have room to move and tilt the screen? Did you ever find documentation of the Xite install. How is the audio from this unit? Please keep us posted, I am sure many will benefit from your research and hard work.

2018 Dutch Star 4018 Freightliner
2019 GMC Canyon Denali
The screen does rotate, tilt, and adjust. It fits very well.

The DSDP has an amplifier that takes speaker output, and converts it to line input before amplifying the signal. This is an audio processor, similar to how Bose works in most GM vehicles. Because of this, the sound remains the same high quality.

As a bonus, I now can run Spotify direct on the unit, instead of using BT to broadcast to the unit. The sound is even more crisp. I also have an extensive audio library on the coach media server, with CD quality audio files. The system can play any of these with an "OK Google" command.

As far as the Xite, yes, I did get all of the documentation for the wiring. Turns out Newmar has a standard wiring harness that is installed in the coach. Based on the head unit ordered for the build, a second harness is provided to attach to the radio. This second harness can be ordered as a spare part, or you can do what I did, and carefully cut the wires so they can be returned back to the original harness. Doing this, the wires that I spliced into are on the harness adapter, and not the factory harness. I will post pictures soon. I do not have pricing yet from newmar on the replacement pigtail harness to go from the coach to Xite, but I would suspect it is $20 +/-
Old 12-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #63

Ok, I'm officially on the "done with Xite" train.

I was taking a trip that I knew well and didn't need the GPS for, so I decided I would go into trip maker, put waypoints to force it on my route and see what happened. I also did the same with my Garmin 770. The Garmin worked like a charm, as it did in my ACE.

The first thing I notice is the Xite was showing us arriving over 30 minutes after the Garmin, and that it was showing 220 miles instead of 180 or so. As I was driving, I couldn't investigate. When I finally could, it had a loop where it was leaving the current road, going north like 20 miles, cutting over, and then back down to my intended path.

I'm not sure if when I placed a waypoint, I was slightly off the highway, and so it was having me turn and then not do a U-turn, or what. I need to get into trip maker and see if where it had me divert was near one of my waypoints.

Regardless, this is the kind of thing that makes it hard to trust the Xite/Rand McNally solution.

As an aside, nobody told me about the long press of the camera switch button on my 360 cam. I'm going to have to see if that works on mine.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

I was taking a trip that I knew well and didn't need the GPS for, so I decided I would go into trip maker, put waypoints to force it on my route and see what happened. I also did the same with my Garmin 770. The Garmin worked like a charm, as it did in my ACE.

The first thing I notice is the Xite was showing us arriving over 30 minutes after the Garmin, and that it was showing 220 miles instead of 180 or so. As I was driving, I couldn't investigate. When I finally could, it had a loop where it was leaving the current road, going north like 20 miles, cutting over, and then back down to my intended path.

I'm not sure if when I placed a waypoint, I was slightly off the highway, and so it was having me turn and then not do a U-turn, or what. I need to get into trip maker and see if where it had me divert was near one of my waypoints.

Regardless, this is the kind of thing that makes it hard to trust the Xite/Rand McNally solution.

As an aside, nobody told me about the long press of the camera switch button on my 360 cam. I'm going to have to see if that works on mine.
The crummy handling of waypoints is the primary reason I am done. The screen is too small and slow to build on the unit itself, and the imported versions don't work properly either.

As for the switch, this was a discovery I made on accident. I hope it works for yours.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The crummy handling of waypoints is the primary reason I am done. The screen is too small and slow to build on the unit itself, and the imported versions don't work properly either.

As for the switch, this was a discovery I made on accident. I hope it works for yours.
Just tried, it works.

After the long press, it doesn't have all the views, it has wide front, wide rear and a slightly bigger overhead centered. Then, if you turn on blinker, it goes to standard split screen.

That wide view front/rear might be interesting for backing up/pulling into a spot, but I think I would likely have to cut the trigger wire, since based on what it did with blinkers, I'm sure it would revert to split screen/backup camera view.

Anyway, nice find, thanks for that.

Since the Xite is now relegated to XM/360 Cam use, I'll be curious how things progress with your new setup.

I like the idea of an RV/Truck aware GPS that will warn of weight restrictions and ideally height. I guess with an android tablet Sygic (wasn't really happy with my test run) and CoPilot RV (also not thrilled with my test) are options.

For now, I've my 770 on the dash and the wife using Google on her devil phone (errrr, Iphone) as a backup.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #66

I wonder why Newmar did not at least put the 7” screen like last years MA? Not likely much if any money difference?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #67
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
The dash/head is a non issue. It’s standard spec at least in mine. Double DIN. The problem is the gazillion wires. I had a local auto audio shop do it. He also put a better subwoofer and amp in while he was at it. Was amazed how underpowered the Newmar install was. We spend a lot of miles in it. Make it the best experience you desire.

Do you have any pictures of what the wiring was like?

Was the head unit originally connected with a simple harness, or wire by wire?
hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt View Post
Do you have any pictures of what the wiring was like?

Was the head unit originally connected with a simple harness, or wire by wire?
It is a simple harness. The 12 pin connector shown here has the power and speaker wires in it. 2 additional wires are used for park brake and reverse.

The park brake as provided by newmar is a ground wire to always trick the system into thinking the park brake is engaged. This allows for full radio use while driving.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_161412.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	230356Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_161436.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	230357
Old 12-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

Accidentally found out about long push, actually thought unit broke (until I read about long push on the forum) and just turned the ignition off/on.

As far as navigation I like rvtripwizard.com and create my trips there. Then export to CSV and use the dock to add the addresses. Then create a trip with the addresses. Testing this week on trip from Myrtle Beach to Mouse land in Florida. RVTRIPWizard is really nice because it provides distance rings and fuel usage calculation. Would be nice to be able to actually add the trip, but works nice.

Supposedly you can follow the below steps, but I haven't got this to work (only tried twice so far so might be operator error)

1) Export your trip as a CSV file (Send to GPS from the Trip menu wrench icon).
2) Go to your File Explorer (My Computer or just Computer) and find your CSV file. The default location should be your Downloads folder.
3) Right click the file and choose Copy.
4) Locate your Rand McNally device in the File Explorer / My Computer.
5) Open up the device by double-clicking.
6) Locate the RM folder and double-click to open.
7) Locate the ImportTrip folder. If for some reason there is not a folder with this name, create it. There is no space in the folder name, just "ImportTrip".
8) Open this folder by double-clicking.
9) Right click into the empty folder area and choose Paste, your CSV file should now be in the RM\ImportTrip folder.
10) Now go back and highlight Rand McNally device in File Explorer / My Computer and right click and choose EJECT.
11) Disconnect when you see the message that says it's safe to do so.
12) Your Rand McNally GPS will restart, if not, power it off and back on again.
13) You will see a custom POI ready for import.
14)) Say yes or follow instructions for importing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Accidentally found out about long push, actually thought unit broke (until I read about long push on the forum) and just turned the ignition off/on.

As far as navigation I like rvtripwizard.com and create my trips there. Then export to CSV and use the dock to add the addresses. Then create a trip with the addresses. Testing this week on trip from Myrtle Beach to Mouse land in Florida. RVTRIPWizard is really nice because it provides distance rings and fuel usage calculation. Would be nice to be able to actually add the trip, but works nice.

Supposedly you can follow the below steps, but I haven't got this to work (only tried twice so far so might be operator error)

1) Export your trip as a CSV file (Send to GPS from the Trip menu wrench icon).
2) Go to your File Explorer (My Computer or just Computer) and find your CSV file. The default location should be your Downloads folder.
3) Right click the file and choose Copy.
4) Locate your Rand McNally device in the File Explorer / My Computer.
5) Open up the device by double-clicking.
6) Locate the RM folder and double-click to open.
7) Locate the ImportTrip folder. If for some reason there is not a folder with this name, create it. There is no space in the folder name, just "ImportTrip".
8) Open this folder by double-clicking.
9) Right click into the empty folder area and choose Paste, your CSV file should now be in the RM\ImportTrip folder.
10) Now go back and highlight Rand McNally device in File Explorer / My Computer and right click and choose EJECT.
11) Disconnect when you see the message that says it's safe to do so.
12) Your Rand McNally GPS will restart, if not, power it off and back on again.
13) You will see a custom POI ready for import.
14)) Say yes or follow instructions for importing.
The method rand McNally handles waypoints is not the typical manner. You must visit each way paint exactly, and stop (ie: power off radio) before it will resume to the next waypoint. There is a menu option to skip to next waypoint, but it hard to find while driving.

Also, the route calculation to the way point only considers your current position. It wl recommended some really dumb route alterations, even if you had plenty of waypoints to influence its decision.

Tags
radio