Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I also have an uphill battle to prove that Waze (which is her favorite GPS app, mainly due to getting points while driving ) can run on the radio and still allow simple selection of music while driving. I made the mistake of giving her the nerd demo before I showed the normal demo.

LOL, I’m with ya on that one! I know you guys bag on Apple, and I’m really not in love with the CarPlay experience. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING better (or easier) than using SIRI when you are an Apple Music subscriber. Being able to tap the voice button (or even have “Hey Siri” enabled, which I don’t” to say, “Play Country music” does NOT get any simpler.

Waze has the Spotify control in it, lame. Waze, or any Nav app, commandeers the radio when in the CarPlay mode. So, I’ve yet to see a simpler, AND SAFER, method of controlling music than SIRI on the iPhone.

Please don’t let that comment derail our progress here. I’m with ya on elegant simplicity...on any platform!
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
LOL, I’m with ya on that one! I know you guys bag on Apple, and I’m really not in love with the CarPlay experience. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING better (or easier) than using SIRI when you are an Apple Music subscriber. Being able to tap the voice button (or even have “Hey Siri” enabled, which I don’t” to say, “Play Country music” does NOT get any simpler.

Waze has the Spotify control in it, lame. Waze, or any Nav app, commandeers the radio when in the CarPlay mode. So, I’ve yet to see a simpler, AND SAFER, method of controlling music than SIRI on the iPhone.

Please don’t let that comment derail our progress here. I’m with ya on elegant simplicity...on any platform!
Well for voice control, I plan on using "Hey Google" but may use "Alexis". They will do all of the tasks Siri will do - again needs testing, but it should be part of the experience.

I am also adding steering wheel controls for basic features. Music Source selection, Track +/-, Volume +/-, Phone Answer/End, and Voice Activation.

Again, it has to be stupid simple, and the BMW implementation is the one my wife wants me to follow as opposed to the Chevy implementation.

The difference between BMW vs Chevy - BMW only has the buttons on the face of the wheel, and uses a toggle for scrolling.

CHevy has no toggle for scrolling, and has buttons on the back side as well as the front.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #87

Bluefire

Redbaron looking forward to your Bluefire evaluation. I downloaded their software and tried it, it's functionality is less than VMSpc but I suspect that will improve with time. My VMSpc experience has not been trouble free. I am still waiting for them to fix their software so it works correctly. Silverleaf is offering a refund since I am under a year.
rvdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdivers View Post
Redbaron looking forward to your Bluefire evaluation. I downloaded their software and tried it, it's functionality is less than VMSpc but I suspect that will improve with time. My VMSpc experience has not been trouble free. I am still waiting for them to fix their software so it works correctly. Silverleaf is offering a refund since I am under a year.
Are they refunding your Jib hardware purchase?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #89

I didn't ask for a refund but when I complained about the lack of movement on version 4 which is supposed to fix the transmission and cruise displays they offered to refund the jib and cables in total. Kinda sounds like they don't have time for VMSpc anymore because version 4 has been broke since its release in October.

RVing and Diving this great country
rvdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #90
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Been following this thread with some interest as we, too, are not impressed with the Xite. We've been looking at Kenwood units as a replacement because we like the Garmin GPS implementation. Just discovered that Kenwood is coming out with a new, RV-specific unit; the DNX775RVS. Info here:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...dia/dnx775rvs/

It checks many of the boxes we are looking for. Don't have the 360 camera system, so no worries about supporting it. Looks like the MSRP for the new unit will be around $1,100; no idea what kind of discounts may be available.

I will be following this unit closely.

Edit: Oh, and note that it has an app to control the receiver from a cell phone. That would be great for us as the existing receiver location is not easily reachable from the passenger seat.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #91
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been doing a fair amount of research. I just want a radio that fits in the dash, has the largest double din screen and plays without connecting to a hundred other things, other than my phone for telephone calls. I liked Pioneer in the past, but lately, their service seems to be problematic.

I been looking at the Kenwoods, since they use the Garmin maps. I've narrowed down my choice to the Kenwood DNX994S. It's one of their high end units for $650.00.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kenwood+9...b_sb_ss_i_1_11

Went looking yesterday and saw an Alpine that was nice, but I like the Garmin mapping in the Kenwood. We have a Magellan that is mounted on the passenger side that has truck routing. Sometimes that can be more of a pain in the butt. For us, we never travel down such little roads or off the main highway to need truck guidance. Hasn't been an issue in 15 years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Been following this thread with some interest as we, too, are not impressed with the Xite. We've been looking at Kenwood units as a replacement because we like the Garmin GPS implementation. Just discovered that Kenwood is coming out with a new, RV-specific unit; the DNX775RVS. Info here:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...dia/dnx775rvs/

It checks many of the boxes we are looking for. Don't have the 360 camera system, so no worries about supporting it. Looks like the MSRP for the new unit will be around $1,100; no idea what kind of discounts may be available.

I will be following this unit closely.

Edit: Oh, and note that it has an app to control the receiver from a cell phone. That would be great for us as the existing receiver location is not easily reachable from the passenger seat.

TJ
Hmmmm...good find, TJ. I've been eyeing the Alpine iLX-107 due to its Wireless CarPlay ability; even though it drives me nuts, at times.

BUT...this Kenwood model you found is intriguing since it has the GARMIN RV module! Hmmm, compelling. And, what a LOT of people aren't discussing is the fact that GARMIN has changed their business model to lifetime map updates; thank God! And, with the Garmin 770's ability to grab those updates off of WiFi...maps and software updates have been fast and seamless.

I can only expect that same functionality and ease will exist even though the Garmin software is installed in the Kenwood head.

I'll be putting this one at the top of my list for the new DS!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've been doing a fair amount of research. I just want a radio that fits in the dash, has the largest double din screen and plays without connecting to a hundred other things, other than my phone for telephone calls. I liked Pioneer in the past, but lately, their service seems to be problematic.

I been looking at the Kenwoods, since they use the Garmin maps. I've narrowed down my choice to the Kenwood DNX994S. It's one of their high end units for $650.00.

Went looking yesterday and saw an Alpine that was nice, but I like the Garmin mapping in the Kenwood. We have a Magellan that is mounted on the passenger side that has truck routing. Sometimes that can be more of a pain in the butt. For us, we never travel down such little roads or off the main highway to need truck guidance. Hasn't been an issue in 15 years.
Don,

I checked into that Kenwood DNX994S you mentioned, and yeah, looks good. BUT...no mapping. So, that one that TJ found seems like the winner...especially considering that the Garmin 770 unit, alone, is $350.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #94
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

HI, DON.

The problem for me with the DNX994S is that it does not allow an RV configuration, so you lose the ability to input height, length, etc. Otherwise, It looks like a good unit.

We still have our standalone Garmin RV760LMT which we will keep, but I'd really like a better system than the Xite for GPS, Bluetooth integration, etc. I'm hopeful that the new Kenwood DNX775RVS will provide that.

TJ
Old 01-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #95
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just found a link to the installation and operation manual online at:

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-2305-10_K_En.pdf

Note that this units appears to come preconfigured for WebLink and Waze. I found that interesting.

And...there's an accessory remote control available, along with a cell phone app that can control the receiver.

TJ
Old 01-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #96

Kenwood

I have the Kenwood 773 in my Ventana and it works great and was a fairly easy install. Disclosure: I did not do it myself. My next coach, I would put in the one TJ found to get the all in one GPS with RV settings. With that, you might want to "beef up" your amp, speakers and subwoofer to get the best possible sound quality while driving if that is important to you.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #97
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you guys missed the last statement in my post. I already run a Magellan at the passenger seat with truck mapping. I find it rather useless and can really mess up a route that works for an RV. In all the years of driving an RV, even coast to coast a couple of times, I've never been lead down a road that wasn't suitable for my RV.

I just don't see how it's useful. I see a bridge that's too low, I don't go under it. I've never taken off on a day's drive, with no idea of where I'm going, especially towing, and ended up on a road that I couldn't turn around or find another way out. To me, the only value would be to a trucker to keep them off of roads where THEY would be cited for a possible overweight issue, not an RV.

No offense, it's just not something I've needed in 45+ years of RVing and a couple hundred thousand miles. The Magellan, with the truck route I got for a deal, as my sister won it at an RV show. Now....I'm not saying that several of you don't have a need for it.....it's just not for me.

I'm not being snarky, but too cheap to pay the additional cost of the mapping on the Kenwood. I'm sure that's the list price, but I'm betting it will be at least $900+.

Now....there might be a market for a premade wire adapters from Xite to Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer. If Newmar keeps installing that piece of junk, you could make some money selling adapters.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #98
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think I misunderstood your earlier post, Don. I was under the impression you were looking at Kenwood units because they use Garmin software. Is it that you don't see the need for the Garmin software that allows you to set up an RV profile?

TJ

Tags
radio