Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
Here is my Genny exhaust mod.

No more ugly hanger and clamp at the end.

Nice stainless Gibson turn down tip

Raised up about 2 inches from where it was.
I don't know if you do any of the NKK rallys but the one in Tampa at the fairgrounds, we're like 10 ft apart, so the genny, if you run it, would dump right in my 10 ft of curbside. I hope you plan to buy a Gen-turi to route your exhaust up and over yours and my coach. With the turn down tip, it won't fit, so you'll need to pull it off to attach your Gen-Turi. You can follow DSD on his mod to be able to use both.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I don't know if you do any of the NKK rallys but the one in Tampa at the fairgrounds, we're like 10 ft apart, so the genny, if you run it, would dump right in my 10 ft of curbside. I hope you plan to buy a Gen-turi to route your exhaust up and over yours and my coach. With the turn down tip, it won't fit, so you'll need to pull it off to attach your Gen-Turi. You can follow DSD on his mod to be able to use both.
Not likely I will do a rally be anything is possible.

I do have a Genturi and in a case like that would install it by slipping off the tip.

Just held on with a single bolt
Old 11-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I also found it is necessary to drill a 1/8 inch hole at each end of the body on the bottom to release condensation.

When I was testing it just slipped on the end of the pipe it filled with condensation, there was about a pint of water in it with just 1 night of use.
Vickie 4369 … so I would drill the holes as far towards the edges before they start tapering back down?

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_5612_LI.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	949.9 KB
ID:	268212  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Vickie 4369 … so I would drill the holes as far towards the edges before they start tapering back down?

FLSteve
EXACTLY
Old 11-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Also when you look through the muffler it is directional. The open end of the louvers is the exit.
Vickie 4369 … Just a FYI - I received the muffler today and it looked the same on both ends. I went back and looked at the specs on the web page and found this statement in the fine print; "They are guaranteed reversible with no effect on performance." Also called Summit Racing and they confirmed it will work in either direction. This is the muffler I ordered.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...iABEgLUD_D_BwE

FLSteve
Old 11-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Vickie 4369 … Just a FYI - I received the muffler today and it looked the same on both ends. I went back and looked at the specs on the web page and found this statement in the fine print; "They are guaranteed reversible with no effect on performance." Also called Summit Racing and they confirmed it will work in either direction. This is the muffler I ordered.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...iABEgLUD_D_BwE

FLSteve
I am so sorry I just went back and looked at the link I left you, I fat fingered the key board and gave you the wrong link

This is the exact muffler I bought.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...514s/overview/

I really don't think it is a problem though any glass pack style muffler will quiet it down for sure.

Ted.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Vickie 4369 … ok looks like yours is called a resonator and mine is a muffler. Guess I will just go with what I ordered and see how it works.

Stay tuned ...

FLSteve
Old 11-30-2019, 06:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Vickie 4369 … ok looks like yours is called a resonator and mine is a muffler. Guess I will just go with what I ordered and see how it works.

Stay tuned ...

FLSteve
What I did was shove it on the end of the pipe with the furnace running to test the sound control difference.

It was very noticeable decrease in noise.

What is the length of the body on yours?

In this case longer is better LOL

Ted.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The wide body part is 12". Overall length is 18". I can't go much longer so this length is perfect for my situation. I will do the pre-test like you did to see how much it helps.

Just one question on the band clamps and the lap joint connection. The exhaust pipe slides snugly inside the muffle pipe. Should I cut some slots in the muffler pipe so it has the ability to compress on the exhaust pipe or will it do that without slots?

FLSteve
Old 11-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #38

Quote:
The wide body part is 12". Overall length is 18". I can't go much longer so this length is perfect for my situation. I will do the pre-test like you did to see how much it helps.

Just one question on the band clamps and the lap joint connection. The exhaust pipe slides snugly inside the muffle pipe. Should I cut some slots in the muffler pipe so it has the ability to compress on the exhaust pipe or will it do that without slots?

FLSteve

Yeah that is pretty short mine is a 14 inch but I cut one bushing off and welded the stainless tip on it to gain room

Yes I cut 4 slots in a North S.E.W configuration only slightly less deep as the clamp is wide.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yes I cut 4 slots in a North S.E.W configuration only slightly less deep as the clamp is wide.
Perfect … that's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks,

FLSteve
Old 11-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #40

All of this is very nice (Love the Pictures of the Instal) but we use the electric to maintain heat once we get to temperature and normally just use the Diesel for Showers.

Seems to be much Quieter that way.

Only time we really need to run the diesel more than a little is when we are Boondocking in the Winter, sorry it must just be me - but plugging in a small electric heater is much quieter and easier than these Modification.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Comfort-...Z442/204755905

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
All of this is very nice (Love the Pictures of the Instal) but we use the electric to maintain heat once we get to temperature and normally just use the Diesel for Showers.

Seems to be much Quieter that way.

Only time we really need to run the diesel more than a little is when we are Boondocking in the Winter, sorry it must just be me - but plugging in a small electric heater is much quieter and easier than these Modification.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Comfort-...Z442/204755905

JMHO,
In my case I do not have a 30 or 50 amp hook up at the house I currently am connected to a 20amp so the Diesel heating option is what I have to deal with for now.

Plus if I have to use it I don't want to annoy my neighbors or myself for that matter, it had an very annoying howl before this mod.

I understand now that previous or higher models come with a muffler and Newmar did away with them for this model.

It was 25 degrees here last night and we stayed in the coach last night testing things out, My wife complained at one point during the night, it was too hot LOL menopause, it was 67 degrees

I can tell you the furnace is now, no louder than the one in my home where before this it would wake me up.

Ted.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #42

Quote:
In my case I do not have a 30 or 50 amp hook up at the house I currently am connected to a 20amp so the Diesel heating option is what I have to deal with for now.

Plus if I have to use it I don't want to annoy my neighbors or myself for that matter, it had an very annoying howl before this mod.

I understand now that previous or higher models come with a muffler and Newmar did away with them for this model.

It was 25 degrees here last night and we stayed in the coach last night testing things out, My wife complained at one point during the night, it was too hot LOL menopause, it was 67 degrees

I can tell you the furnace is now, no louder than the one in my home where before this it would wake me up.

Ted.
Ted you are correct it will make a howl - just me .... and they do work Great!

We have wintered three years in Golden, Colorado so I know COLD -

For us, we cannot tell you how many times we have spent the night next to Train Tracks and Airports so the Howl is sometimes welcomed.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis