Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #57

Thank you so much for thinking of your neighbors (as well as yourself).
Those babies are loud, even a few spaces away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
So first thing I noticed was the Oasis furnace can be pretty loud.

It simply has a nice 2 inch exhaust pipe but no muffler, I inquired about this with IRT and they stated that Newmar used to install mufflers and didn't know they don't anymore.

I installed there optional Inlet muffler ( as simple PVC pipe with Foam inside) which helps some but nowhere as much as this does on the exhaust side.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...iABEgLUD_D_BwE

I have tested this back to back by simply slipping this over the tailpipe and it does a great job of knocking down the noise

I will be installing this plus a nice stainless turn down tip and stainless clamps and hangers not a fan of the U clamps

Moving to the Rod weld on with rubber isolators.

Ted.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #58

Nice, 10 Fan! Where did you get the nifty hanger that you installed at the muffler outlet?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I see you have a mud dauber screen on your oasis air inlet.

Care to elaborate your Ideas or problems you had.
I covered everything underneath to make sure nothing could get in.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
Nice, 10 Fan! Where did you get the nifty hanger that you installed at the muffler outlet?
When I raised and rerouted the exhaust I removed 2 hangers and used the one in the picture. I turned the muffler clamp sideways.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Please post photos of your fix
dpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DB testing

Get an app on your iPhone for DB testing. If I recall it is free.
Grandparacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #63

Quote:
A 5 dB reduction is pretty significant, as I understand it Each dB number is multiplied 10 fold sound level on the way up.

Here is a good Article on the subject. https://science.howstuffworks.com/qu...udible%20sound.

Ted.
Sound doubles every three DB of increase. So, 57 is twice as loud as 54, 57-60 would be doubled again, so at 59, not quite doubled.

So, going the other direction, presumably, you cut the sound in half almost twice. 5 DB is significant.

A bigger issue with the Oasis isn't so much the DB, 59 is actually pretty quiet as many homes have a noise floor in the low 50s just from lights, fans, ACs, etc., but instead the fact it's a fairly deep bass heavy sound. Low frequency bass travels further and passes through more walls, hence the reason you hear the annoying thump, thump, thump of some punk driving down the road, but not the actual music.

So, unless the muffler significantly reduces the amount of low frequency, I'm not sure how much relief it's going to be to neighbors (something I worry about with mine).
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Sound doubles every three DB of increase. So, 57 is twice as loud as 54, 57-60 would be doubled again, so at 59, not quite doubled.

So, going the other direction, presumably, you cut the sound in half almost twice. 5 DB is significant.

A bigger issue with the Oasis isn't so much the DB, 59 is actually pretty quiet as many homes have a noise floor in the low 50s just from lights, fans, ACs, etc., but instead the fact it's a fairly deep bass heavy sound. Low frequency bass travels further and passes through more walls, hence the reason you hear the annoying thump, thump, thump of some punk driving down the road, but not the actual music.

So, unless the muffler significantly reduces the amount of low frequency, I'm not sure how much relief it's going to be to neighbors (something I worry about with mine).
As I explained in a previous post, my coach is parked in my driveway about 40 feet from the house, My bedroom sits 1 floor above with no window on the driveway side.

Before the muffler It would wake me every time it kicked on (someone said 747 warming up agree) now I don't even here it unless I am awake and the house is very quiet.

It made a significant difference for me and I could not be happier.

Ted.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:17 AM   #65

Hi everyone, I have read the entire post and wondering if anyone knows if the Aqua Hot is as loud? I have 2018 Tiffin Bus and it doesn't seem very loud but I don't want to annoy my neighbors. We are going to a rally and I bought two exhaust kits to vent Aqua Hot and genny above the roof. Haven't installed them yet. Appreciate any advice. Thanks
Chesuncook 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesuncook 1 View Post
Hi everyone, I have read the entire post and wondering if anyone knows if the Aqua Hot is as loud? I have 2018 Tiffin Bus and it doesn't seem very loud but I don't want to annoy my neighbors. We are going to a rally and I bought two exhaust kits to vent Aqua Hot and genny above the roof. Haven't installed them yet. Appreciate any advice. Thanks
I imagine the noise level is similar, you can get a free dB meter app on your phone and check yours and compare it to the gentlemen's readings above.

If you are adding Genturis then that will also help redirect the noise up rather than out.

Ted.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #67

I've been wanting to quite down my Onan generator on our Bounder for some time now, will these work for that?
sturgisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #68
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've never paid attention to the sound level of an Aqua Hot, but I have noticed that you smell the diesel more. I'm not being critical as it's a good product, but Oasis advertises that theirs is odorless, which I find to be true.

The Aqua Hots that I've looked at have been bigger and I believe all in one units. For that reason they may suppress sound better.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
FLSteve
I went to the app store on my phone and searched db meters. I will post pictures today. I went to the link posted (first one) and after measuring there was room for the 18" muffler, 24" overall. It was $5 less than the 12". I called Jones after Ted posted the correct link and was told the resonator is a glass pack with nothing to where out, less restriction but not as quiet as the turbo muffler. The restriction won't matter with such a small output. It is a 1/2" larger, 4" instead of 3.5". Last year I raised it 3" so I'm still ahead of the game.

Ted
Your right about the db curve, I forgot about that. Thanks for posting this, maybe my friends will stop asking me if I'm warming up my 747.
Thanks from your friends
Airizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Actually, sound power doubles every 10 db (db is a logarithmic scale). 3 db is a perceptible difference in sound level to the human ear.

Tags
oasis