Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesuncook 1 View Post
Thank you for the reply. When we finally get out of Maine and go to Florida the end of January I will take note if I see a Newmar to listen to the Oasis if it is cold enough to be on.
For no reason other than curiosity. I wish we had 2 electric elements on our Aqua Hot. My wife and I can typically take back to back showers on electric but I always take the 2nd shower so if anyone runs out of hot water, it's me and I can just holler for her to turn on the diesel. I love the fact that we have electric heat in the floors. It is such a nice heat and works well down to 40 or so. We don't use the Aqua Hot much as a result other than making sure it runs a little every now and again so that it doesn't sit to long without running.

Thanks again
Scott
My sister has heated floors in her Phaeton, which I wish my Ventana had.

I'm not sure if there's has a problem (actually, it's had a BUNCH of problems, Tiffin replaced the entire unit and it still boils over and loses all fluid, which has everyone confused), but with their first unit, there was a very loud exhaust fan that came on before the burner. That was louder than the equivalent (if there is an exhaust fan on the Oasis) on my Oasis, but I find their "turbine" sound less annoying than my "generator" sound.

Also, the tiffin internal fan registers are quieter than the newmar's when using it for heat.

So, pros and cons for both. That said, I really like the two heating elements, so I rarely use the burner (other than periodically running it to make sure the diesel is moving and doesn't gel up or whatever happens) except in winter.

I would be happy with either vs. going back to propane like I had in my ACE.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
My sister has heated floors in her Phaeton, which I wish my Ventana had.

I'm not sure if there's has a problem (actually, it's had a BUNCH of problems, Tiffin replaced the entire unit and it still boils over and loses all fluid, which has everyone confused), but with their first unit, there was a very loud exhaust fan that came on before the burner. That was louder than the equivalent (if there is an exhaust fan on the Oasis) on my Oasis, but I find their "turbine" sound less annoying than my "generator" sound.

Also, the tiffin internal fan registers are quieter than the newmar's when using it for heat.

So, pros and cons for both. That said, I really like the two heating elements, so I rarely use the burner (other than periodically running it to make sure the diesel is moving and doesn't gel up or whatever happens) except in winter.

I would be happy with either vs. going back to propane like I had in my ACE.
Wow! Two units doing the same thing. Must be something in the way they plumbed it up. Hopefully they get that figured out soon. I don't know if they are at a dealer or in Red Bay. I can't say enough good about service in Red Bay. I was blown away and glad we went there. We didn't have anything big on our list and had them do a couple modifications and they didn't charge us a Penney. The bus was under warranty at that time.

Scott
Chesuncook 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesuncook 1 View Post
Wow! Two units doing the same thing. Must be something in the way they plumbed it up. Hopefully they get that figured out soon. I don't know if they are at a dealer or in Red Bay. I can't say enough good about service in Red Bay. I was blown away and glad we went there. We didn't have anything big on our list and had them do a couple modifications and they didn't charge us a Penney. The bus was under warranty at that time.

Scott
Red Bay. Only thing left is the wiring harness I think, possibly something shorting out. Basically overheats and boils all the fluid out.

They feel the same about Red Bay service. Had a LOT of problems with their first Phaeton (2012), but because Bob Tiffin fixed it all, even when years out of warranty, they bought a second one.

I came close because we are only 5 hours from Red Bay, but couldn't find a floor plan we liked as much as our 4369.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Red Bay. Only thing left is the wiring harness I think, possibly something shorting out. Basically overheats and boils all the fluid out.

They feel the same about Red Bay service. Had a LOT of problems with their first Phaeton (2012), but because Bob Tiffin fixed it all, even when years out of warranty, they bought a second one.

I came close because we are only 5 hours from Red Bay, but couldn't find a floor plan we liked as much as our 4369.
Wow! That's scary! Hopefully they get it figured out before the thing causes a fire. Newmar makes a great coach. It was between the Bus and the Dutch Star. Couldn't find the floor plan in the DS and North Trail in Ft. Myers would only come down 20%
Chesuncook 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #103

Can we get back on topic here please.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #104
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was looking at the two sides of the burner box and I wonder if you applied dynamat to the sides, would it deaden some of that rumble. I don't think the side walls are used for cooling in anyway. Maybe a question for ITR Oasis.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I was looking at the two sides of the burner box and I wonder if you applied dynamat to the sides, would it deaden some of that rumble. I don't think the side walls are used for cooling in anyway. Maybe a question for ITR Oasis.
You might be on to something Dynamat does wonders in many different scenarios.

Ted.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #106

FWIW: I was just under the motorhome, verifying measurements and such prior to ordering a muffler as has been described above, and discovered that the Oasis exhaust pipe hangers had been installed so that the metal parts of the bracket were touching each other and the motorhome frame. There was no rubber isolation between the pipe and the motorhome! As well, the hanger at the exhaust pipe end had self tapping screws that had stripped out and were loose. A quick repositioning of one hanger and replacement of two bogus screws with nuts and bolts has provided a noticeable reduction in vibration and noise.
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
FWIW: I was just under the motorhome, verifying measurements and such prior to ordering a muffler as has been described above, and discovered that the Oasis exhaust pipe hangers had been installed so that the metal parts of the bracket were touching each other and the motorhome frame. There was no rubber isolation between the pipe and the motorhome! As well, the hanger at the exhaust pipe end had self tapping screws that had stripped out and were loose. A quick repositioning of one hanger and replacement of two bogus screws with nuts and bolts has provided a noticeable reduction in vibration and noise.
Great find be we did not experience of of these clearance issues before or after the install.

Take note the muffler I listed in my first post is the wrong link I reposted the correct link later in the thread.

Ted.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
10 fan ... thanks for the information on the muffler. You said 185-3 but I think it might be the 18S-3. I have the 12S-3 (12" muffler) and think I might return it to get the 18" one like you have. I measured and have the room so might as well go with the longer one. Will call Summit and see what I can work out on a return and switch.

FLSteve
Finally got around to installing mine. Went with the 18" length muffler as Summit had no problem switching the 12" for the 18". Now I just need a volunteer to camp really close to me to see how it works.

Posted a few pictures of how it looks. The last two were before it was installed.

What kind of paint should I get if I want to paint it black. Maybe the Rustoleum engine high temperature spray paint. Saw that at Home Depot.

FLSteve

PS … oh shoot, just remembered I forgot to drill the two 1/8" drain holes in it. Guess I better head back out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4109.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	270579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4110.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	270580  

Name:	IMG_4111.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	270581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	270582  

Name:	IMG_2882.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	270583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2883.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	270584  

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #109
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We leave tomorrow for a 5 day trip with 30 amp power, which means the Oasis will be running at night. We'll see if the exhaust helps with the neighbors.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Finally got around to installing mine. Went with the 18" length muffler as Summit had no problem switching the 12" for the 18". Now I just need a volunteer to camp really close to me to see how it works.

Posted a few pictures of how it looks. The last two were before it was installed.

What kind of paint should I get if I want to paint it black. Maybe the Rustoleum engine high temperature spray paint. Saw that at Home Depot.

FLSteve

PS … oh shoot, just remembered I forgot to drill the two 1/8" drain holes in it. Guess I better head back out there.
LOL I read the response from my email and was going to remind you but I see you remembered.

Rustolium would be great probably better and more durable than the enamel paint spray paint I used.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We leave tomorrow for a 5 day trip with 30 amp power, which means the Oasis will be running at night. We'll see if the exhaust helps with the neighbors.
They are going to love you
Old 12-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #112

Does anyone have any thoughts about raising the Oasis exhaust pipe to provide a little more clearance? I purchased an 18 inch muffler like FLSteve did but now that I see it, I'm a little concerned that if I install it, I'll risk catching it on some of the rougher roads we tend to end up on on our way to boondocking spots. Can the whole exhaust pipe be raised without risking overheating the underside of the coach?
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis