Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #113
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I raised mine on my previous Dutch Star, after talking to ITR (Oasis). They said there was not enough heat to cause an issue. There are two ways to raise it. First, the exhaust pipe is clamped onto the header pipe where it comes through the bottom of the coach, mine was loose and had slipped down some. When I installed the muffler, I pushed it all the way up and then tightened the clamp. I could have taken about an inch off the end of the muffler pipe and lifted it up a little more.

The second way is to put on a shorter "header pipe". The pipe coming out of the Oasis is just threaded black pipe. On my previous coach, I unscrewed the pipe and bought one an inch shorter.

Keep in mind, just lifting the piping up, can put an adverse angle on the system and cause it to retain water and rust out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts about raising the Oasis exhaust pipe to provide a little more clearance? I purchased an 18 inch muffler like FLSteve did but now that I see it, I'm a little concerned that if I install it, I'll risk catching it on some of the rougher roads we tend to end up on on our way to boondocking spots. Can the whole exhaust pipe be raised without risking overheating the underside of the coach?
If you read all my posts you will see I did just that.

Ted.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Don: Did you "slit" the muffler ends so the u-bolts would clamp tight to the OEM pipe or were you able to get it tight enough with just the u-bolts slightly deforming the muffler?

Going to do the mod next weekend. Thanks all for the great direction.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Don: Did you "slit" the muffler ends so the u-bolts would clamp tight to the OEM pipe or were you able to get it tight enough with just the u-bolts slightly deforming the muffler?

Going to do the mod next weekend. Thanks all for the great direction.

Cheers,
Mike
Yes I did, 4 slots 7/8 inch deep at 12,3,6,9 O'clock

But I did not use U bolt clamps, because they are ugly and deform the pipe which makes future service difficult.

I used Accuseal band style clamps, the link is in my post.

I did mention it in my post that the slots are just deep enough that they are covered by the clamp itself.

If you choose to use U bolt clamps no need to slot the muffler ends.

Let me know how you like it, and post some pics.

Ted.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #117
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I took the coach out over New Years week to a campground with only 30 amps. Surprisingly, 30amps was enough to run all three floor heaters, so I only used the Oasis for heating water.

I will thank Ted for the motivation to add the muffler. It was way down on my list of projects, but it was so easy to do. My 2014 DS had the muffler, installed as a standard item from Newmar. I just didn't use the burner enough to remember the difference between the 2014 with the muffler and the 2019 without. I found the muffler toned the exhaust down quite a bit. Mine exits under the full wall slide and when the slide was out it was pretty quiet while standing outside. A worthwhile project.

I know Ted and I have some differences doing the install. I realize he's been doing muffler work for years, but I've also worked on a few mufflers in my day. The clamps that Ted used are great and look nice, but the clamps I used, standard muffler clamps, I had one on hand and bought two others at Tractor Supply. They're a standard muffler clamp. The muffler was a very exact fit over the tailpipe and had to be twisted on. I did put a double slice into the muffler so that the clamps I use fit more securely without crushing the pipe. I also make sure the tailpipe slides on farther than the slits, so there are no leaks.

When I install the standard muffler clamps, I install them so the threads face upward. This gives a cleaner look and leaves nothing for the u-bolts to snag on.

Again, a very worthwhile mod!!!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
Don and Ted:
Thanks for the quick responses.
I'll slot the muffler flanges and probably use the band clamps Ted used.
The Oasis is definitely louder than the Aquahot I had on my 08 Monaco, so I'm looking forward to having this great mod done.
Have a great weekend.
Mike
Old 01-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #119

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
They are going to love you
I wish they came factory equipped with a muffler.
Spent a week at LaPush this summer with our curb side neighbors running day and night. The constant droan and rumble was beyond annoying.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #120

Quote:
Don and Ted:
Thanks for the quick responses.
I'll slot the muffler flanges and probably use the band clamps Ted used.
The Oasis is definitely louder than the Aquahot I had on my 08 Monaco, so I'm looking forward to having this great mod done.
Have a great weekend.
Mike
Old 01-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
A very easy mod and at a reasonable price, with great results. Much quieter than before. The neighbors will appreciate it.
I ended up using the same U-bolts Don used as I could not get the full pipe clamps Ted used.
Thanks for the great direction and tips Ted and Don.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	271998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oaisis 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	271999  

Old 01-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #122

Quote:
A very easy mod and at a reasonable price, with great results. Much quieter than before. The neighbors will appreciate it.
I ended up using the same U-bolts Don used as I could not get the full pipe clamps Ted used.
Thanks for the great direction and tips Ted and Don.
Good Job just make sure those clamps are good and tight or tack weld the muffler to the pipes to prevent turning and sagging down due to how the tail pipe hanger is mounted.

Ted.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Ted:
They will be on my monthly maintenance checklist.
Cheers.
Mike
Old 10-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #124

11 months to the day later, this was a very popular thread, lots of participation and discussion one of my favorites so I will bump it up for the new owners who joined the Newmar Family.

Ted.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #125

Thanks Ted,
Seeing this post again reminded me to do the mod. What I'd like to know is why Newmar decided to run the Oasis exhaust clear back in front of the rear PS tires. On my 34 the unit is just rear of the battery compartment. Any reason not to shorten the exhaust to exit on the drivers side like the genset.(?)
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Thanks Ted,
Seeing this post again reminded me to do the mod. What I'd like to know is why Newmar decided to run the Oasis exhaust clear back in front of the rear PS tires. On my 34 the unit is just rear of the battery compartment. Any reason not to shorten the exhaust to exit on the drivers side like the genset.(?)
I feel they did it for max ground clearance, being near the tire has it's advantages.

For me I think the placement looks good in front of the tire and not out of place.

Just be sure and use the 18 inch muffler instead of the link to the 12 inch I originally posted in error.

Ted.

Tags
oasis