Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

I lost my water heater door

About 10 days ago, the water heater door (12 gallon water heater), fell off of my motorhome, probably because I did not secure it with the latch.
I have no idea where it fell off. I bought a new one in Arizona (about $69). Now I have an ivory white square door surrounded by a nice Biscotti Brown paint job (2006 DSDP) Anyone have the same problem in the past, and if so how much did it cost you to match the little door to the rest of the coach?

I know that prices vary, but can anyone recommend a quality paint place either in Arizona, or where I live in Southern California that won't charge me an arm and a leg?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably only a couple hundred $$ to paint. The paint is running about $175 a qt according to the painter I had do our DSDP side after the awning broke. Then there's the clear coat also. Also. it takes almost as much clean up and prep for a small job as a large one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

do it your self .....single stage paint.... 75$ well look the right age and look you need

take you paint code to a sherwin williams that works with car paint only that type of sherwin williams well have it but

most RVs are painted this way
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #4

Mine fell off and we ran over it so it got properly smushed.

However, when I found what it would cost to repaint (mine had all 4 coach colors on it), we re-attached it.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to prevent that I installed a small screw next to the latch (drilled thru the latch support and door). Secured it to the latch support with small lock nut and where it sticks out the door about 1/4 inch I use a small lock washer and wing nut. Yes the latch still works and it takes a minute to get to the heater, but I know the door is secure.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the paint code and go to an automotive paint store. Most will match the color and fill a rattle can for small DIY projects.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Don't know if this applies to anyone else, but if you have service work done, some repair shops/dealers like to put the keys inside the water heater door. Three times we have picked up our coach after service and found the door improperly latched. We lost one door, and could have lost others. I found the proper paint and repaired it myself. Close enough.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Great ideas, however, I could not paint it myself. The door needs two different colors, and one of the colors is a swirl that runs down the side of the coach and across the door. Too complicated for me to match. I am a do it yourselfer, but I am not much of a painter. My coach was painted with BASF, not Sherwin Williams. I like the idea about the set screw, I might try that one!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I put a small stainless flat head screw right ar the top of the slot where the factory circle fastener latch comes through the door. Kind of a pain but far less than replacing the door
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Great ideas, however, I could not paint it myself. The door needs two different colors, and one of the colors is a swirl that runs down the side of the coach and across the door. Too complicated for me to match. I am a do it yourselfer, but I am not much of a painter. My coach was painted with BASF, not Sherwin Williams. I like the idea about the set screw, I might try that one!
I think once you get an estimate for a professional paint job you might rethink not DIY. You'll have to buy two rattle cams matched up, a roll of painter's tape and some masking paper, but it'll be cheaper and not noticeable by anyone but you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #11

Never even thought about losing a door until I read about it happening one year ago. I invested a lot of money in a fix for this. Went immediately to one of my peanut butter jars full of misc. nuts and bolts. Selected a plastic bolt that would not mar finish. Buggered up the threads on the bolt part half way down the bolt. This gave me something to finger tighten the nut against and lock it in place. I can now access water heater without any tools and hopefully keep my door along for the ride.
see pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	49170  
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess I'm much "luckier" than some of you! In 50+ years of RV'ing I've never lost a door, hatch cover or anything except a vent cover from the canopy on my old Chevy P/U.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Never even thought about losing a door until I read about it happening one year ago. I invested a lot of money in a fix for this. Went immediately to one of my peanut butter jars full of misc. nuts and bolts. Selected a plastic bolt that would not mar finish. Buggered up the threads on the bolt part half way down the bolt. This gave me something to finger tighten the nut against and lock it in place. I can now access water heater without any tools and hopefully keep my door along for the ride.
see pic
Soon after I bought my MH the clip that holds the turn key broke and I had to replace it. Your nylon bolt/nut is nice, but it would go too if the whole thing broke like mine. Mine broke in the driveway so I didn't lose the door, just had to make a trip to a local RV parts store.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, heater, water, water heater