Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

I think I bought a money pit

Hi
Being a new to me, 1999 Mountain Aire 4063 Newmar owner would be an upgrade from 95 Winni. I knew the coach had some issues, but wasn't expecting what I found when I pulled up the carpet. In the corner, where the slide comes in, behind the driver seat, was a water stain, with dry rot, that extends under the slide. The slide has the kitchen and jack knife sofa and is only 18ish inches deep, extending to about 4 inches from the ceiling. Seeing the coach with the upgraded fiberglass roof, with eternabond taped seams, maybe made me a little less thorough in searching for issues. I want to remove the slide, but struggle with how the cabinets were installed. There is no room above the trim to get at any screws and I can not see any mounting screws inside the cabinets. Does anyone know if the slide can be pushed further into the coach to get at the screws on the back, then pulled out of the coach for the floor repair. The slide seals are "hooped" as well, which look like they have been that way for a while. In hindsight, I think this guy "dumped" this problem on me.
r.edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Didn't you do an inspection before buying it?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
r.edward - sorry for your frustrations; hope you are either able to address these issues yourself or find a good and reliable shop who can help you. It sounds as if you are handy and plan to fix things yourself; for me I've just found a shop I like and trust and I write them checks!

Having just bought our second brand-new RV, my assumption from when we were considering our original RV is that there will be repairs, maintenance, things will break and need to be replaced. There will also be upgrades we want to make and features we want to add. Same as owning a boat, a plane, or a second home. It's a toy and a discretionary expense.

I've always liked the quote about owning a boat: "A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass into which you pour money."

And welcome to IRV@.com! This is a helpful forum and I'm sure others will ping in with suggestions and experience that should help you.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

I thought I knew enough about MHs, for I have looked a lot before buying old Winni and my continued search for a larger MH. Being this coach was way out in the sticks, with me being so busy right now, that would have been the proper approach. That being said, I asked for information as to how to deal with fixing the problem properly, instead of "dumping it on someone else. I was asking for help, not criticism of my poor decision. If anyone with a kitchen in their slide, has had to remove it, I would appreciate your advice.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

I have a had a few of those as well: LOL My "little summer project" just got bigger, to a point, that I might need help, and write some big cheques.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

One tip you will need to know is that if you want to lift the bottom of the slide up to work under slide area or rollers is that you put one on each end of the slide under slide out topper a 2X4 6 inches long. When the slide comes in it will lift the slide up till it almost touches the ceiling which will mean you how have the slide lifted with at least 3 inches of clearance. If you ever have slide roller replacement this procedure will work for that too. If that is your biggest problem with your 15 year plus Newmar you should be a happy camper. I bet your Winnie did have a slide. Newmars are one of the best built motor homes you can buy even when they are 17 years old. Enjoy the travels in your new to you coach.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Hi Tom

Thanks; I was thinking about removing the outside trim, disconnecting everything, pushing the slide further into the coach, until is up to the fridge (about 2 or so feet). I have the option, I hope, to remove the cabinets from the back of the slide or even deal with the dry rot spot on the floor. Then pull it back out of the coach, connect every thing back up and make sure the slide motor mechanism is correct. Does anyone think that is plausible? I have all summer to research, then get the work done by the fall. We had planned on driving it down from Canada, storing it in Vegas for the winter. Fly down a few time and explore AZ,NV,TX and CA, when I get sick of the crappy winters we get up here. Old Winni is a 95/96, 5.9 DP, 34' with super slide, and a dinky little bathroom.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum, ED.
With a old coach you can run into problems if previous owner did not do his maintenance.
My advise is look through the links below in my signature especially the QT's # 3 link.
I have posted links of remodeling, the problems your facing by members of this forum with pictures and instructions on how to fix the problems, of older Newmars.
All the links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
Here is a search engine to find other answers you will need just change the search for info you need.
People have fixed floors with out removing a slide.
Here is another link for TSB's, recalls, brochure, owners guide and other information.
There are TSB for replacing the rubber seals for slide to keep water out and the slide locks should be used to seal the slide to wall when traveling or in storage.
Read things over, take your time and you will have a good coach to enjoy.

Question why do you need to remove cabinets???
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote