Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
I'm a want to be full timer, and have been reading these boards for a few 24 hrs.... I'm concerned about the results from these testing hiding a major issue. if the prior owner / dealer wanted to get top dollar for the unit wouldn't they already have replaced the fluids? I'm trying to understand if the results can be determined to be fresh fluids then they could be meaningless, right?

kerry
I guess Kerry its not just one single item that goes into determining if you will purchase a unit. Its a collective of things that will help you decide. It may however be just ONE item that deters you from buying.

As you know there is fluid analysis, compression testing, dyno testing and a hands-on inspection by a competent mechanic that is hired by you, for you - if you deem it necessary.
The availability of service records will also play a role.

I'm sure others will say this or that but I will say after you look at a few you will start to get on to the good ones and more importantly units that have been welled cared for by the previous owner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You should hire a certified RV tech and have your MH inspected prior to buying. This will minimize the chance of missing something. You can get this done for around $200. Money well spent.

After the sale try to get the maintenance records and perform any maintenance that may be required.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy like you would a house. Make a money deal, with a refundable deposit and contingent on satisfactory inspections. Have the inspections done, at your expense. Based upon inspection results - finalize the deal, get back your deposit and walk away, have the seller make corrections, or renegotiate the price and you make corrections.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We bought our fourth motorhome a year and a half ago. I had the checklist described above, even an IR temp gun to check fridge, A/C, etc. " No need to pay an inspector for what I can do myself". Make a long story short, the fridge in the basement was cold the day we closed the deal. 48 hrs later, it was shot. I had inspected the roof, but missed a spot that had been repaired under the edge of one of the A./C units. Turned out two large areas of soft wood rot spots I missed.....new roof $6K. Oil analysis I of engine and tranny were good, tires good.

Could a professional inspector have caught these two items?? Maybe.....maybe not. The DW had already told me, when you buy used expect to pay another $10K. If you are fortunate enough to not spend it even better, but when you do need to you are prepared.

We bought it right, still making improvements, but almost there. Really looks nice, and am complimented on it regularly. Just be thorough, and have a contingency fund for the first year or so.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
A single oil sample doesn't tell much. The primary value of oil samples is to watch the trend from one sample to the next.

Although this is true, a single sample SHOULD tell you if there are large concentrations of a metal in the oil that signifies a pending $$$$ problem.

Even if fluids have been recently changed, the lab will be able to note this, and should take that into account when looking at sample. The best drain and fill will still leave some of the old fluid in the vehicle, high levels of a contaminate will still be present. It's not the best situation to analyze newly changed fluids, but if you take it for a 30 minute test drive (longer is better), and THEN pull the samples, your analysis should still point out a problem!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
A single oil sample doesn't tell much. The primary value of oil samples is to watch the trend from one sample to the next.
I disagree. A single oil sample can show a lot. I know the process of establishing a baseline, but there are standard baselines for the engine and tranny. If the sample shows excessively high levels of wear elements or coolant contamination, it raises a red flag. I see the results of about 2 dozen oil samples every month. We sample every compartment of every machine at every maintenance interval.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newmar, sale