RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
The coaches I've owned and driven many miles are '08 40 ft. Allegro Bus (Tiffin chassis IFS), '09 45 ft Signature (Roadmaster chassis straight axle), '14 Heritage (Frieightliner chassis IFS), '15 45 ft Cornerstone (Spartan chassis IFS), and '19 40 ft. Mountain Aire (Spartan chassis IFS CD). In order of importance if you are driving distances, particularly in the plains where you can be fighting a 30 to 35 mph cross-wind for days:
1. Tag axle --- this adds great stability
2. IFS --- straight axles result in bump steering. A bump on one side tends to turn the coach.
3. Comfort Drive --- a very nice addition to IFS.

Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
My experience is has been that "I would not leave home in a motor home without Comfort Drive", especially if it had a solid front axle. 2 previous motor home were solid front axle non comfort drive, at the end of a driving day felt like I put in a full day work of hard labor. Past 12 years with my CD solid front axle Ventana, do not mind the drive at all, matter of fact kind of pleasant, especially when windy and on secondary roads.

As for IFS, only can relate that during test drive of 37' DS I could tell a significant difference in ride and handling with IFS and CD, especially on secondary roads/surfaces. But must note that the additional 10K# weight, longer wheelbase and 76K miles on current coach probably contributed some to that difference.

CD was definitely one of the big factors on our purchase of 2008 Ventana! Big factor in our purchase of 2020 DS, along with floor plan of course, IFS, side radiator and weight to horsepower/torque ratio.

FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #17

From a guy who's had 4 coaches- GET THEM BOTH- IFS & CD!

You'll love it!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
For me it would be CD that I would choose. At least one comparison to a gasser Ford Chassis has been made, air suspension as found on the diesel is a must have for me. I will never go back to the beating of a leaf-spring sprung frontend. I would also not like giving up having a tag axle. A lot of variables to consider CD vs IFS are not the only things to look at, tire and frontend condition on a 13 year old motorhome could have a much larger effect on handling. Make sure to drive them all. Good luck
Agree totally with all here except that IFS seems almost necessary. If I was moving to 40’ Id have a tag too and I recently learned that the Spartan steering tag is active to 45mph vs FL at 15, so that would steer me () to Spartan.

My 9 year old BS (another for using that abbreviation for the thing) had 20k on it when I bought it this year (35000 now) and I replaced the tires (orig 2008 tires!) did the CHF with Helwig links to maintain factory geometry (yes I think that matters), had it aligned, changed to Konis (although Im thinking about putting the Bilsteins back on the front) and weighed each corner and set TP accordingly. Its better than stock, and “ok” for lest than 400 miles per day, but its a delivery truck chassis intended for local day use. A buddy has a 35 year old small Winne class A with A arms and coil springs and it drives just fine.

Anyway I think Im leaning toward IFS being more important than CD. It would be nice to buy a lightly used Ventana but I dont think another front straight axle is in my future nor is a 2020 35’ New Aire.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
From a guy who's had 4 coaches- GET THEM BOTH- IFS & CD!

You'll love it!

Happy Trails
That would be the ideal!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #20

With CD I can drive with my pinky fingers. Itís ridiculously easy. So I regularly drive 500+ miles a day 2 days in a row. And itís the same as if I drove a car that long.

My CD shut down on me recently and wow ... if I had to drive it like that.... yikes

I demanded CD because I wanted to feel like Iíd never have an excuse to bail from a trip because I didnít feel like driving the thing.

That said, this is my only coach and I have no experience with lack of IFS.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #21

Ouote:

The CD is a nice option, but I rarely change the adjustment on it. To me it's more of a steering feel than an actual assist in driving.

Keep in mind that CD is always providing the same amount of wheel correction/seeking straight forward regardless of the setting selected on the efforts knob on the dash.
cti2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
With CD I can drive with my pinky fingers. Itís ridiculously easy. So I regularly drive 500+ miles a day 2 days in a row. And itís the same as if I drove a car that long.

That said, this is my only coach and I have no experience with lack of IFS.
Still great info. Im trying to decide on a beautiful low milage 07 KS on a Spartan IFS chassis with an ISL motor, a floor plan I like, tasteful and appealing exterior and interior, all the other options I want, and at leas than 1/3 the cost of a nice used New Aire. Everything but CD! Tough choice...
Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #23

Do you have an opportunity to test drive one with CD and one without?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Believe me Iím a fan of IFS, however I do think it is unfair to compare the straight axle of a gasser with leaf springs on all 4 corners to the straight axle of a diesel with air bags on all 4 corners. Air bags make an amazing difference.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with the Roadmaster chassis and a straight axle. I installed a TruCenter steering stabilizer. The TruCenter is a poor mans version of Comfort Drive. Rather than correct the steering automatically, you do it manually by pushing a switch. I installed the unit before a coast to coast trip and absolutely loved it.

When I bought my first Dutch Star (2014), there were certain things I wanted in a chassis, which included side radiator, tag axle and IFS. This was my first coach with Comfort Drive. When I went shopping for my current coach, Comfort Drive was a big factor in selecting another Dutch Star.

I will say, that a properly set up straight axle can be comparable to IFS, in a MOTOR HOME application. There are many, who couldn't tell the difference between an IFS coach and a coach with a straight axle. It's just not that obvious if it's a nice handling/riding coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
The CD is a nice option, but I rarely change the adjustment on it. To me it's more of a steering feel than an actual assist in driving.
Most accurate and spot on description of CD I have seen on iRV2 yet. If someone feels they can drive farther because of CD, great for them. Great marketing tool.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Most accurate and spot on description of CD I have seen on iRV2 yet. If someone feels they can drive farther because of CD, great for them. Great marketing tool.

Respectfully more than just a marketing tool - it works. Reduces steering correction and fatigue. Spoken from someone who has owned four coaches without it and the current one with it. I would never buy another coach without it.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's strange how some feel that CD does not provide any assistance. I wonder if it has to do where and how some drive. Out west, if you want to leave Los Angeles, you have three choices, north on I-5, east through Palm Springs and northeast toward Vegas. The last two routes have a LOT of desert driving where you can't necessarily see the wind, but can feel it. This is where the Comfort Drive really proves it's value. It stops the constant wind push. When traversing the Palm Springs area through the windmill farms, there are often winds that will force a lane change, but not with the CD.

If some are just driving locally and have never hit high wind conditions for 100's of miles, maybe they don't see the value.

If someone says they don't see an advantage, in a campground, with one finger steering, I say your CD is not working. I find it to be a great advantage to one finger my way through a tight campground, back in effortlessly and know that when I release the wheel it automatically centers.

Again, I think that CD often smooths out the road to the point that some don't realize what poor conditions they're driving in, because they don't feel it. For all those who think it's a gimmick, maybe try a little test. Turn it off and drive your coach for a 1000 miles and then see what you think. Maybe you'll have the same opinion, or maybe it opens your eyes.

I had a manual version of the CD, which was TruCenter. Since I had to manually operate it (switch), I knew exactly what assistance it was providing. It was the best addition I did to my 2005 Diplomat.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote